Nvidia lowered the price of GF104 cards

From the pixels, bits, and shaders to the graphic cards that power them. Discuss the latest from AMD and NVIDIA here.

Moderators: morphine, SecretSquirrel

Nvidia lowered the price of GF104 cards

Postposted on Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:43 pm

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/disp ... Board.html

Apparently, the new MSRP is $179 rather than $199. Despite that, some stores are selling it for $169 according to xbitlabs.
Disclaimer: I over-analyze everything, so try not to be offended if I over-analyze something you wrote.
Shining Arcanine
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Nvidia lowered the price of GF104 cards

Postposted on Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:59 pm

Kinda hard to believe that Nvidia should have to drop the price of that card at all, but I'm not going to complain. Still, it makes no sense to purchase right now if one can wait for AMD's 6xxx launch.
flip-mode
Gerbil Khan
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:43 pm

flip-mode wrote:Kinda hard to believe that Nvidia should have to drop the price of that card at all, but I'm not going to complain. Still, it makes no sense to purchase right now if one can wait for AMD's 6xxx launch.

Supposedly, they are using the opportunity to take back marketshare from ATI that they lost due to Fermi's delays.
Disclaimer: I over-analyze everything, so try not to be offended if I over-analyze something you wrote.
Shining Arcanine
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:43 pm

flip-mode wrote:Kinda hard to believe that Nvidia should have to drop the price of that card at all, but I'm not going to complain. Still, it makes no sense to purchase right now if one can wait for AMD's 6xxx launch.

Not all people can wait until November?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:15 pm

Do you think the market is large of people who can't wait? Especially for a completely new generation? Honestly this had to be one of the most boring rounds of graphics cards I can remember. We didn't even get mid generation updates. I think if someone waited this long to just now jump on a GF104 (when they could have been enjoying equal performance for nearly a year now on the AMD side) then they probably should just wait a couple more months. But IF they must... the GTX 460 is a good buy... if you can't wait.
Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:37 pm

Skrying wrote:Do you think the market is large of people who can't wait? Especially for a completely new generation? Honestly this had to be one of the most boring rounds of graphics cards I can remember. We didn't even get mid generation updates. I think if someone waited this long to just now jump on a GF104 (when they could have been enjoying equal performance for nearly a year now on the AMD side) then they probably should just wait a couple more months. But IF they must... the GTX 460 is a good buy... if you can't wait.

It would be interesting if these price drops are to make room in Nvidia's product line-up for the GF100's successor. Every graphics company has multiple processors in different stages of development, with at least two of the designs intended for the market at any given time. Nvidia only let us know about Fermi when it was in an advanced phase of development, so at that point, its successor should have started development. Ordinarily, successors do not debut so soon after their predecessors are released, but Fermi's delays due to issues at TSMC should not have affected its successor's schedule.

While Fermi is fairly good, it has some notable flaws that conflict with Nvidia's longer term plans. Specifically, Fermi has a flaw in its memory controller that limits its memory bandwidth, yield issues that forced Nvidia to disable functional units and fabrication issues at TSMC that forced Nvidia to run it at lower clock speeds in higher thermal envelopes than their targets had been. The issues these flaws from caused caused, especially in the form of delays, have placed Nvidia under pressure from its investors to deliver more visible results, so I would expect them to try to remedy them in the shortest possible time-frame and as a consequence, I would not be surprised if Nvidia releases a successor to the GF100 around the time the Radeon 6800 is released.

At the same time, it could be that Nvidia's development cycle is too long for them to accelerate the release of the GF100's successor, so another possibility would be for them to make some minor changes to the GF100 so that they can release the GF100b, which should give Nvidia the chip that they intended the GF100 to be.
Shining Arcanine
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:11 am

Shining Arcanine wrote:Nvidia only let us know about Fermi when it was in an advanced phase of development...
:lol: What planet were you living on at that time?

NVidia notoriously started sending out information about Fermi a year before they were ready to release a graphics card in consumer volumes. NVidia's evil marketing geniuses time their press releases to steal thunder away from ATI/AMD's actual product launches. There is little correlation between the marketing activities and whatever actual product development might be going on. We saw the same behavior from the evil marketing geniuses with all of the hype/FUD-mongering for GeForce FX 5800 appearing when Radeon 9700 Pro was released, even though NVidia was still about nine months away from having an actual product available for launch.
i7-4770K, H70, Gryphon Z87, 16 GiB, R9-290, SSD, 2 HD, Blu-ray, SB ZX, TJ08-E, SS-660XP², 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:43 am

If there was a new generation soon (implied by the price drops) we would have heard rumours of codenames, then tapeout, and as the months go on respin tapeouts, die sizes, shader counts and finally performance/pricing/SKUs. Nvidia leaks much worse than AMD on those milestones; we knew about GT200, GT200b and GF100 a year or more in advance of launch.

The fact we haven't heard any codenames even (execpt for GF119 which was a cancelled 32nm part) or tapeout dates means that we are 6 months plus from a full new generation. Not a good sign when NI should be as soon as 28nm works, which should be Q2 '11.

Nvidia will try some fancy stuff with full-shader GF100/GF104 and dual GF104 parts, but AMD could well be selling a GTX 460 performing part at $100 (Given that Juniper+35% is approximately that good and the die sizes).
Game_boy
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:52 am

The second half of your post is the answer to the implied question in the first half, isn't it?
C2D E7300 | ASUS P5Q Pro | 4GB OCZ Fatal1ty DDR2-800 | ASUS Radeon HD 4850 TOP | 500W OCZ ModXStream | WD10EADS | WD6400AAKS | Win7 64bit | Antec P182
swampfox
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:26 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Shining Arcanine wrote:Nvidia only let us know about Fermi when it was in an advanced phase of development...
:lol: What planet were you living on at that time?

NVidia notoriously started sending out information about Fermi a year before they were ready to release a graphics card in consumer volumes. NVidia's evil marketing geniuses time their press releases to steal thunder away from ATI/AMD's actual product launches. There is little correlation between the marketing activities and whatever actual product development might be going on. We saw the same behavior from the evil marketing geniuses with all of the hype/FUD-mongering for GeForce FX 5800 appearing when Radeon 9700 Pro was released, even though NVidia was still about nine months away from having an actual product available for launch.

There was no information about the G80 until its release date. The same is true for some other processors. Fermi was the big exception, but Nvidia was trying to get the scientific computing community interested in it, so they started advertising it before it debuted. Their advertisements did not start that much before they had planned to have it ready, but the delays meant it was pushed back.

By the way, "What planet were you living on at that time?" is a snide remark. I would appreciate it if as a member of TR's staff, you avoided such behavior. It violates the rule on personal attacks.

Game_boy wrote:If there was a new generation soon (implied by the price drops) we would have heard rumours of codenames, then tapeout, and as the months go on respin tapeouts, die sizes, shader counts and finally performance/pricing/SKUs. Nvidia leaks much worse than AMD on those milestones; we knew about GT200, GT200b and GF100 a year or more in advance of launch.

The fact we haven't heard any codenames even (execpt for GF119 which was a cancelled 32nm part) or tapeout dates means that we are 6 months plus from a full new generation. Not a good sign when NI should be as soon as 28nm works, which should be Q2 '11.

Why would we hear any of that? I think that the G80 was done completely silently, without any rumors or leaks. Several other Nvidia products were ninja-launched in the same way. We only get information when Nvidia wants us to have it. Anyway, it is probably more likely that Nvidia would do a die revision, as I think that their CEO said that they were going to lengthen their development cycles when the G80 debuted. Having the next generation GPU come out soon could be difficult for them to do, but I am certain that the issues with Fermi has caused their investors to put pressure on Nvidia to perform more visibly. Their CEO needs to appease investors if he wants to keep his job.

Keep in mind that this is speculation and neither of us has any information to definitively say what Nvidia will be doing in even the near future.
Shining Arcanine
Gerbil Jedi

Return to Graphics