Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

roont
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

resolution out of range, but its correct

Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:26 pm

I have an HP Pavilion f1703 monitor that I've just connected to my sisters HP computer, I get display for the boot and even get the windows splashscreen, but once it goes into windows i get the message 'pc video resolution setting is out of range. change setting to 1280x1024@60Hz'

the weird thing is that it IS set to 1280x1024 and 60Hz

If i boot into safe mode, the display comes up fine and i can change resolution settings, but once i reboot normal, i get that message again. I'm confused. anyone seen something similar?
It's win7 64 bit.
"...and she says, 'That's not my expansion slot.' So my friend says, 'That's not my gold plated 22-pin connector!! Ah-hahahaHA!"

potatochobit
Gerbil Elite

Re: resolution out of range, but its correct

Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:32 pm

happens with all new HP monitors
easiest thing to do is plug the old monitor back in if your were using one previously and change the resolution
do a google search on the issue

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:43 pm

When you change the resolution in Safe Mode, try a lesser one, for example 1280x960 or 1024x768.
If that works for normal booting, try to create a custom resolution in your drivers that your monitor will work with, maybe it tops out at 59 Hz or has special settings?

Either that, or it's just faulty.

roont
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:52 pm

potatochobit wrote:
happens with all new HP monitors
easiest thing to do is plug the old monitor back in if your were using one previously and change the resolution
do a google search on the issue

That's the problem. I did do that. I've set it to the proper resolution. But when I boot normal it still comes up with the out of range message.

When i plug back the old monitor, or go into safe mode, i can confirm that it IS set to the proper setting.

very strange. Im trying a BIOS Update. maybe that will help.
"...and she says, 'That's not my expansion slot.' So my friend says, 'That's not my gold plated 22-pin connector!! Ah-hahahaHA!"

astraelraen
Gerbil

Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:41 pm

One of our servers here at work always does this. On some reboots it will randomly say the display is out of range, when no display or display settings have been changed.

It is a pain in the ass and the only way to make it be "in range" is to restart the server. Usually I just remote to them so it doesn't matter but when working on them physically it sucks.

roont
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:18 pm

Ah, i figured it out. I ended up uninstalling the display driver from safe mode, rebooting and letting windows reinstall it, then update. works fine now. Thansk guys!