Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

AT&T can bite me!

Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:40 am

So yes I was an early adopter of the iPad I also was buying the unlimited data plan. Well not anymore :cry: So yesterday I got an email from the lovely ATT saying they tried to bill me but the card was declined. I didnt think nothing of it at first because my credit card had expired and I got a new one a few weeks ago. I went and updated the info for the iPad and clicked next.....and as most of you can guess what I saw.....there was no Unlimited plan! I was only able to get the 2GB one. I could have cried.

In what I knew was a futile attempt I called ATT. I knew the answer before I even spoke to anyone but it was worth the try. Yup because I had let my account so call lapse when they tried to bill me I lost my unlimited data plan.

So now I come to work and relate the story to coworkers and I have found something interesting and that if you go and try to update any information about your account, Credit card , billing address, etc. And have unlimited data and press next and done the only two plans you will be able to get are the 250k and 2G ones.

What a bait and switch. arrrrgg. But I still contend that the grass is not always greener on the other side. I still love my iPad I use it daily! /sigh oh well.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: AT&T can bite me!

Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:01 am

How much are they charging for 2GB? Is it still $30 or whatever the unlimited was when it came out?

I have to think that 2GB is "effectively unlimited" if you allow your iDevice to connect to wifi networks at your most frequently-visited locations and don't update apps over 3G.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Lucky Jack Aubrey
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:21 am

I wonder if you would have lost the unlimited option if you had updated your credit card info via a call to AT&T Customer Service? I know you called them afterwards, but if you had called them before? I would agree that it is a stupid distinction, but...

Corrado

Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:47 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
How much are they charging for 2GB? Is it still $30 or whatever the unlimited was when it came out?

I have to think that 2GB is "effectively unlimited" if you allow your iDevice to connect to wifi networks at your most frequently-visited locations and don't update apps over 3G.

Its $25 now, so its slightly cheaper.

SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:00 am

derFunkenstein wrote:

I have an iPhone and I finally gave in and switched so I could buy tethering. (*sigh*) It's not effectively unlimited at all. I think the most data I've ever used is 600MB, but with a ceiling (any ceiling) I'm paranoid I'll lose my connection and not be able to work so I don't do the occasional Youtube video over 3G, ever, anymore. And when I do tether (which does not buy you any extra data, just costs an extra $20) it's a constant exercise in paranoia to make sure I'm not doing anything like downloading software updates. Adium in particular is bad about this...
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals

Fighthouse
Gerbil Elite

Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:21 am

SNM wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

I have an iPhone and I finally gave in and switched so I could buy tethering. (*sigh*) It's not effectively unlimited at all. I think the most data I've ever used is 600MB, but with a ceiling (any ceiling) I'm paranoid I'll lose my connection and not be able to work so I don't do the occasional Youtube video over 3G, ever, anymore. And when I do tether (which does not buy you any extra data, just costs an extra $20) it's a constant exercise in paranoia to make sure I'm not doing anything like downloading software updates. Adium in particular is bad about this...

nah, all they will do is charge a little more for the extra usage
http://www.informationweek.com/blog/mai ... ss_cu.html :D
Does not compute

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:42 am

Lucky Jack Aubrey wrote:
I wonder if you would have lost the unlimited option if you had updated your credit card info via a call to AT&T Customer Service? I know you called them afterwards, but if you had called them before? I would agree that it is a stupid distinction, but...

So since we employ iPads here at work we have an account rep and I emailed her that question, and her reply was that "the only way to manage the iPad account is through the iPad. There is no service beyond break fix from ATT." She also went on to say, "Your assumptions are correct that any changes done to the account after you signed up for the unlimited plan will nullify said plan."
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:07 am

SNM wrote:

Does AT&T offer some sort of usage meter that you can view (probably at the cost of a couple hundred kb of data. :p)? That would certainly help. I know just normally surfing the web from home, my wife and I rarely cross 4-5GB according to Comcast (and my subtraction of Steam downloads based on their install size, so I admit I might be a little low) and that's for the two of us watching anything we want on Youtube, surfing all over, downloading apps and music on iTunes, etc. I still have to think it would take alot of effort to use more than 2GB just web surfing away from a wifi connection. I guess that just because I can't fathom it doesn't mean it exists. :-x
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Corrado

Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:39 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
SNM wrote:

Does AT&T offer some sort of usage meter that you can view (probably at the cost of a couple hundred kb of data. :p)? That would certainly help. I know just normally surfing the web from home, my wife and I rarely cross 4-5GB according to Comcast (and my subtraction of Steam downloads based on their install size, so I admit I might be a little low) and that's for the two of us watching anything we want on Youtube, surfing all over, downloading apps and music on iTunes, etc. I still have to think it would take alot of effort to use more than 2GB just web surfing away from a wifi connection. I guess that just because I can't fathom it doesn't mean it exists. :-x

Yes they do. Their MyWireless app has your usage data in it, as does their website when you log in. Its VERY easy to keep track of how much data you're using.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:46 am

There was actually a press release about this a couple of months ago - you might still be able to find it on their site if you search around a bit.

Basically the gist was that while the vast majority of users tend to use less than 2GB a month, there were outliers who were using a LOT more than that. AT&T decided it would be more cost effective to offer a slightly cheaper 2GB plan and then charge for anything over that. For most users, it actually ends up being cheaper; but it allows them to reign in the more extreme users a bit.

Apparently, when you have millions and millions of customers, you eventually reach a point where offering truly "unlimited" data at a fixed rate isn't cost effective. I would not be surprised if other providers go this route.

Corrado

Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:53 am

cphite wrote:
There was actually a press release about this a couple of months ago - you might still be able to find it on their site if you search around a bit.

Basically the gist was that while the vast majority of users tend to use less than 2GB a month, there were outliers who were using a LOT more than that. AT&T decided it would be more cost effective to offer a slightly cheaper 2GB plan and then charge for anything over that. For most users, it actually ends up being cheaper; but it allows them to reign in the more extreme users a bit.

Apparently, when you have millions and millions of customers, you eventually reach a point where offering truly "unlimited" data at a fixed rate isn't cost effective. I would not be surprised if other providers go this route.

Verizon and Sprint already have 5GB soft caps. Once you hit 5GB on Verizon with my MyFi for instance, your bandwidth is cut down to 128kbit. For a device that only offers ~800kbit-1mbit in the first place, thats pretty ****.

A guy here at work with an HTC Evo on Sprint got a call from CS when he used 8GB. He told them straight up that he's paying $10 extra for the '4G surcharge' to live in an area without WiMax, so he's going to use as much data as possible in order to get his money's worth. They told him if he exceeds 5GB again his account would be flagged and his bandwidth would be cut as well.

Verizon has also been on the record saying once they move to LTE they will be moving away from 'Unlimited' and to Tiered plans.

SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:16 am

derFunkenstein wrote:

Thinking about it again, I'm mostly just bitter at the loss of my unlimited plan to get tethering, and terrified I'll accidentally have an application update itself in the background at a cost of $10.
Also, the Netflix app would have been nice to play with on an unlimited account. :wink:
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:20 am

SNM wrote:
Also, the Netflix app would have been nice to play with on an unlimited account. :wink:

Let me tell you how nice it was with the unlimited plan on the iPad.....last month I used 8G worth of stream data on netflix alone!
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:37 am

Yeah, I guess I could see netflix being useful. Was the video quality any good over 3G?

Dposcorp

Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:49 am

I feel bad for you. I say vote with your $$$$ and cancel service on all the AT&T devices u have.
If it was me, and I had to have my Ipad, I would tether the Ipad to my phone.

(me hugs my rooted sprint phone with free tethering, unlimited data and 4G)

SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:55 am

That would be nice if I thought I could actually get a decent plan anywhere else. For now, I'm tied to my iPhone though. Maybe when my contract is up DoubleTwist will free me to use Android, if I can get used to the UI.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:00 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Yeah, I guess I could see netflix being useful. Was the video quality any good over 3G?

It was excellent. FWIW last month I sometimes played something just to play something at work, you know background noise. I have started coding a lot and it helps me concentrate.

I have thought about keeping the iPad and then getting and Android to tether with and even going to another company for it. But really I have been with ATT for a very very long time. I firmly believe that the grass isnt always greener on the other side. Everyone will be going to tiered plans. /shrug
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:49 am

Your work doesn't have a WiFi connection you can get on? Or do they block traffic that would prevent it? I can't imagine using that much data outside of available WiFi areas.

Dposcorp

Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:18 pm

tanker27 wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

It was excellent. FWIW last month I sometimes played something just to play something at work, you know background noise. I have started coding a lot and it helps me concentrate.

I have thought about keeping the iPad and then getting and Android to tether with and even going to another company for it. But really I have been with ATT for a very very long time. I firmly believe that the grass isnt always greener on the other side. Everyone will be going to tiered plans. /shrug

I was like you once, but number porting freed me.

In 3 years, I have been with Verizon, MetroPCS, and now Sprint. Sprint's $69 plan is great, unless you call more landlines then cell phones.
Also, they offer discounts from likes 5% to 25% for certain company employees, credit unions, etc, so almost everyone I talk to gets it cheaper.

This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed with your AT&T LIMTED PLAN and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:11 am

Skrying wrote:
Your work doesn't have a WiFi connection you can get on? Or do they block traffic that would prevent it? I can't imagine using that much data outside of available WiFi areas.

Yes, Yes and no. Normally I restrict my work surfing to a few sites, TR being one. All other surfing is relegated to the iPad. I know the Nazi IT Security dept keeps tabs so I keep low key. I live in the ATT hotbed here in the south and their 3G is excellent so pulling that data isnt really an issue.

Dposcorp wrote:

In 3 years, I have been with Verizon, MetroPCS, and now Sprint. Sprint's $69 plan is great, unless you call more landlines then cell phones.
Also, they offer discounts from likes 5% to 25% for certain company employees, credit unions, etc, so almost everyone I talk to gets it cheaper.

Thats a lot of hopping around, something I just dont have time for nor do I care to do. Now if any company would step up to the plate and show me what they can offer than I would entertain the thought. But I have my hangups, Verizon is a no go because of their locked phones. And heaven forbid if I want to take a trip to mexico and use my phone, nope cant do it. All the rest of the providers they just plainly suck for reception in the south. Really I have two choices, Verizon or ATT. (Sprints reception in the South is Horrid)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

amazonjanet
Gerbil In Training

Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:50 pm

Hi, maybe you can jailbreak and/or unlock the ipad to use with a different carrier and pay your contract termination fee if you think the monthly expense you now have to use it as much as you want would justify this? Find another service provider that offers a better plan first tho...

I'm thinking about buying a new I Pad 4g, 64mb... gsm capable. Guess i will check on the unlock/jailbreak options myself!

If anyone knows whether or not this is possible, that info could be really helpful.