Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

WiFi Connection Drops While Gaming

Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:15 pm

I'm running into a very frustrating problem right now. When I load up Starcraft 2 my WiFi connection drops in a game about 30% of the time. The game pauses, the "Waiting" screen in SC2 comes up, I alt-tab to the desktop, watch the tray icon a few seconds and then it shows connection is lost. Refresh wireless connections and my network still shows. Try to connect and it says it can't. Literally as soon as I close SC2 the connection will come back (80% of the time I say, but I'm talking literally right as I get to desktop it is back).

I'm using a Zonet ZEW2546 which is about the cheapest USB WiFi adapter out there. It's pretty bad. I'm using it until I decide on a better one (finding one with good Linux support is a pain, no real evidence just a lot of poorly written opinions). But I can't figure out of this is some bizarre software issue or the WiFi adapter.

Any ideas? Also, any suggestions of a quality (though under $40 if possible) USB 802.11n WiFi adapter with solid Linux support would be highly welcome as well.

potatochobit
Gerbil Elite

Re: WiFi Connection Drops While Gaming

Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:23 pm

touch the USB thing
if it is very hot it could be going bad under load

easy to test, just plug in a ethernet cable instead

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:29 pm

In my experience, wi-fi and on-line gaming aren't the best of bedfellows. Is a wired option available for you? It isn't as big of a deal for RTS's as it is for FPS's, but its hard to be the qualify of a wired connection.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:41 pm

D/L TCPView. It's a standalone .exe and written by someone who figured out so much about Windows that MS hired him. Launch it and then launch SC2. If you've instantly got a whole pile of fresh connection attempts, the adapter is probably choking under the load of all the connections.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.