New Home Router (WRT54GL need not apply!)

The network is the forum.

Moderators: Steel, notfred

New Home Router (WRT54GL need not apply!)

Postposted on Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:37 am

So, I moved to a new apartment and we are in dire need of a new router. It's been a few years since I've been interested in home routers, so, what seems to be the best buy?

Stuff I'm looking for:

• Available in Canada (newegg.ca/ncix/direct canada/tiger direct/memory express, etc.) Or not... I can arrange to get it shipped to a US address, if it's that good!
  • Have gigabit Ethernet
  • Have at least 4 Ethernet ports
  • Support G/N wireless networks (A/B doesn't matter)
  • Able to withstand torrents
  • Able to be flashed with DD-WRT or Tomato
I have found one here that is of interest. It's flashable to custom firmware and has the requirements listed above. Has anyone had any problems with this router? I really don't have any experience with this brand, either.

What are your other recommended choices? I eagerly await your replies! Thanks.
Nitrodist
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: New Home Router (WRT54GL need not apply!)

Postposted on Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:27 am

I was thinking TP-Link when I opened your post. I'm not sure about all of your requirements (I'm guessing you can just check the stat-sheet), but we've got a TP-Link that we're happy with (and I used to have a WRT54something too). It is a big company (#1 in China I read) and they're competitive price-wise. Our router has lower requirements than what you're talking about, but setup was a cinch and it has good range.
C2D E7300 | ASUS P5Q Pro | 4GB OCZ Fatal1ty DDR2-800 | ASUS Radeon HD 4850 TOP | 500W OCZ ModXStream | WD10EADS | WD6400AAKS | Win7 64bit | Antec P182
swampfox
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:18 am

It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:49 am

Is that draft version of n wireless going to be a problem?
Nitrodist
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:22 am

Nitrodist wrote:Is that draft version of n wireless going to be a problem?

Shouldn't be, as it's been around since 2007.
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:47 am

I just bought this:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 20WNR3500L

Neatgear WNR3500L. Supports both DD-WRT (confirmed) and "Teddy Bear" Tomato USB (confirmed). Sports wireless-N and USB storage support (yay!). Fast CPU (480MHz), plenty of RAM (64MB), and plenty of NVRAM (8MB). The Asus linked above has the same or better specs. But I did not like the white color. And because I live in a small apartment and don't need 200 yards of wireless coverage, I appreciate that it does not have ugly, external antennas.

Been running stable all weekend.
x--x--x--x
Spyder22446688
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:11 am

Spyder22446688 wrote:I just bought this:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 20WNR3500L

Neatgear WNR3500L. Supports both DD-WRT (confirmed) and "Teddy Bear" Tomato USB (confirmed). Sports wireless-N and USB storage support (yay!). Fast CPU (480MHz), plenty of RAM (64MB), and plenty of NVRAM (8MB). The Asus linked above has the same or better specs. But I did not like the white color. And because I live in a small apartment and don't need 200 yards of wireless coverage, I appreciate that it does not have ugly, external antennas.

Been running stable all weekend.

Have you flashed it with Tomato yet?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:21 am

Flying Fox wrote:Have you flashed it with Tomato yet?

Yes, it's currently running "Teddy Bear" Tomato USB Build 50 (based on Tomato 1.28). It seems 100% stable, with no bugs, although my uses are admittedly pretty pedestrian.

I find Tomato to be much more user friendly and intuitive than DD-WRT. On the flip side, I find DD-WRT's documentation and user support to be much, much better. I have a few questions about setting up file sharing on a USB drive, and the Tomato Wiki documentation is less than stellar. In any event, I intend to donate $$$$ to the Tomato author(s) because their firmware has changed my life.
x--x--x--x
Spyder22446688
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:26 am

Spyder22446688 wrote:Yes, it's currently running "Teddy Bear" Tomato USB Build 50 (based on Tomato 1.28). It seems 100% stable, with no bugs, although my uses are admittedly pretty pedestrian.

I find Tomato to be much more user friendly and intuitive than DD-WRT. On the flip side, I find DD-WRT's documentation and user support to be much, much better. I have a few questions about setting up file sharing on a USB drive, and the Tomato Wiki documentation is less than stellar. In any event, I intend to donate $$$$ to the Tomato author(s) because their firmware has changed my life.

I am still not sure if the reported DD-WRT problems with the 3500L still exist. I like Tomato's cleaner UI myself, but doing the double flash dance is not exactly my cup of tea.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:58 am

Flying Fox wrote:I like Tomato's cleaner UI myself, but doing the double flash dance is not exactly my cup of tea.

Once I knew how to do it, it was a piece of cake. However, getting up to speed took about three hours and risked bricking my poor router. Seems silly, really, the entire process.
x--x--x--x
Spyder22446688
Gerbil Jedi

Return to Networking