Chucky Cheese
2 (15%)

Total votes: 13

lex-ington
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

NFL XLV - Week 2

Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:52 pm

AAAHHH!!! My record right now is 11 correct picks, 5 incorrect. . . . I think that's a good start. :oops:

There are no games on Thursday (that's a good thing for right now), so we all have ample time to get those rosters updated.

Given that we had some blow-outs, alot of close ones, and a few upsets - the poll this week will be on QB's.

Sunday, Sept. 19
Baltimore @ Cinci - 2 talented senseless WR's on one team does not equal wins. Baltimore did have a strong showing against a good offense somewhat.
Chicago @ Dallas - I have to wonder about this pick.
Philly @ Detroit - Vick for president . . . . let's just see how he does at starting QB for now.
Arizona @ Atlanta - The Cards BEGGED that last game.
Kansas City @ Cleveland - The Browns still suck!!!
Buffalo @ Green Bay - Trent Edwards should NOT be a starting QB anywhere.
Pittsburgh @ Tennessee - Steelers offense not strong enough to give their defense a breather.
Tampa Bay @ Carolina
Miami @ Minnesota - If Miami can contain the run game . . . . . .
St. Louis @ Oakland - What a suckfest.
Seattle @ Dnever - Seattle can only look good for so long . . . . . and that's done.
Houston @ Washington - Houston looks very believable (except for Matt Leinart)
New England @ NYJ - my upset pick of the week.
Jacksonville @ San Diego - Charges not close to the same team from last year right now.
NYG @ Indy - Peyton comes out firing on all cylinders. Run defense stops somebody sometimes.

Monday
New Orleans @ San Fran - this is NOT a Monday Night Headliner.
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Re: NFL XLV - Week 2

Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:06 pm

lex-ington wrote:
Buffalo @ Green Bay - Trent Edwards should NOT be a starting QB anywhere.

Ryan Grant death or not, we should cover. If we don't, something is wrong.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

MixedPower
Gerbil Elite

Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:01 pm

Yay football!

Sunday, Sept. 19
Baltimore @ Cincinnati
Chicago @ Dallas - One reason I love picking games: 16 chances to make Cutler jokes!
Philadelphia @ Detroit - I like Detroit as a sleeper team, but being a sleeper for them means getting five or more wins. This probably won't be one of them.
Arizona @ Atlanta
Kansas City @ Cleveland - Quarterback match-up of the week right here.
Buffalo @ Green Bay - Fact of the week #1: Buffalo had the second best pass defense in the league last season. Fact of the week #2: That's partly because teams were crazy not to run against their third worst ranked defense in the league last season. I like Buffalo for the points, The Pack for the win.
Pittsburgh @ Tennessee
Tampa Bay @ Carolina
South Beach @ Minnesota - My upset of the week.
St. Louis @ Oakland
Seattle @ Denver
Houston @ Washington - I'm still not used to seeing McNabb in burgundy and gold.
New England @ Jets - It's a hard knock life.
Jacksonville @ San Diego
Giants @ Indianapolis

Monday
New Orleans @ San Francisco
i5 4690K | Sabertooth Z97 Mk2 | 8GB DDR3 1600 | GTX 970 | 500GB 840 Evo + 500GB Spinpoint F3 | Xonar DSX | SS-660XP2 | Heligon | FT05 | U2413 + 2209WA | Corsair K90 | Logitech G502 | ProMedia 2.1 | Win 10 Pro x64

lex-ington
Topic Author

Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:20 pm

What a weekend!!! That Washington/Houston game was something. Patriots getting beat handily, Cowboys and Vikings sitting on eggs, older manning slapping younger manning around (just like when they were kids), Vick for president :lol: . . . . .what a weekend.

Grape Flavor
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:39 pm

I'm very pleased so far. I was hoping the Steelers would go at least 2-2 without Roethlisberger and now it's already in the bag. 7 Tennessee turnovers, lol. When you do that it doesn't matter that we're on our 4th string QB and have laughable passing game.

And lol at the poll leader being Drew Brees. If only because I'm questioning the utility of gauging success based on exactly one game.

lex-ington
Topic Author

Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:58 pm

When I made that poll, I was thinking that all the veterans would come out firing on all cylinders. I didn't expect some to be firing at any and everything though. Romo and Favre just look confused. Brady looks a little timid. Peyton looked angry while Vick and McNabb are finding their strides. Chucky is just a bad ass rat!!! :wink:

ryko
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:17 pm

you forgot Cutler in the poll....he had a good game yesterday

druidcent

Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:49 pm

Yeah.. I don't think anyone was expecting that... More of a fluke than anything..

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:11 pm

druidcent wrote:
Yeah.. I don't think anyone was expecting that... More of a fluke than anything..

Eh? Culter is a good quarterback. He makes some bad judgement but that's part of the system not properly being designed to handle him. His skills are enormous just like his arm strength. Plus he's working behind a horrid offensive line.

druidcent

Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:40 pm

Even when he's behind a great pass protect offensive line, with a system designed around him he still makes stupid decisions.. I won't argue the skills, he's got great skills, and he's a good competitor.. I love his lasers to the receivers..

But he's still trying to elevate his decision making abilities.. And usually against a good pash rush or secondary, he'll make one or two questionable throws into triple coverage.. Which is what everyone was expecting against the Cowboys... (Pass rush and decent secondary)...

I'm still pissed at Cutler for being a whiny spoiled child in Denver.. I'd have loved to see what McDaniels could have done with him, and I think he could have been great.. But considering the picks that we got for him, I'm not too disappointed..

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:43 pm

druidcent wrote:
But he's still trying to elevate his decision making abilities.. And usually against a good pash rush or secondary, he'll make one or two questionable throws into triple coverage.. Which is what everyone was expecting against the Cowboys... (Pass rush and decent secondary)...

Reminds me of a certain senior citizen quarterback who spent all of the past Sunday telegraphing every pass he threw.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

druidcent

Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:45 pm

I was trying to avoid that comparison, since it's been extremely overdone :)

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:03 pm

What do you expect? They've both got massive egos, strong arms and make questionable decisions. I would contend that Cutler is a top 8 to top 5 quarterback in the league. His skills outweigh his issues and he just needs the right system and a good O-Line, he may have one of those now.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:18 pm

Skrying wrote:
I would contend that Cutler is a top 8 to top 5 quarterback in the league.
Shall we rank them for fun?
Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rogers, Tom Brady, Tony Romo, Phillip Rivers, Matt Schaub, Michael Vick... There's 8 quarterbacks better than Cutler.

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:31 pm

Brees, Manning, Rogers, Brady and Schuab I would place in that group higher than Cutler. I would say Romo, Rivers and Cutler are in the same tier and I'm honestly not sure I would include Romo. I think he's way overrated. There's no way I would consider Vick in there. It's been two games which were decent but not amazing. It's ridiculous to even rank him, let alone that high...

druidcent

Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:41 pm

Right now Cutler is playing well enough.. He did the same with the Bronco's at the beginning of the season his second year there. The question is whether he can maintain for the season... Right now he's the 3rd ranked quarterback at Football Outsiders:
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb

Guess who he is behind.. Manning and Orton :D

I expect that if the Bears start slipping (or when they face tougher opponents), Cutler's ranking will fall...

Obsidian
Gerbil Elite

Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:28 pm

Cutler's incredible numbers are with an atrocious offensive line and admittedly weak receiving core. You could write off his 375 yards against the Lions because ... well, it was against the Lions. You can't say a 136.7 QB rating against the Cowboys isn't damn impressive. Cutler has played amazing thus far and is putting most of the players on JAE's list to shame.

I think it will take an elite defense like the Jets (which he will face near the end of the season) to really slow him down. I'm eager to see what he can do against Green Bay this Monday. Hopefully Forte can step it up in the run game if Cutler can't drive the entire offense himself.
Intel [email protected] w/ Xigmatek HDT-S1283|Sapphire HD 4850 512MB|G.Skill Pi Black 4GB DDR2 800|Gigabyte EP45-DS3L|WD SE16 640GB|Antec Neo Power 500|Antec Nine Hundred|Dell S2209W|Logitech G9|Sidewinder X6|Razer Exactmat|Klipsch ProMedia 2.1|Windows 7 64

druidcent

Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:08 pm

I think the cowboys are one of the most over-hyped teams... We'll see what happens with Clay Matthews and GB this week...

Basically, Cutler will be either super awesome, or super bad... I don't think he's anywhere in the middle

lex-ington
Topic Author

Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:56 pm

I could say it wasn't impressive. The Cowboys will go nowhere whilst Romo is their QB, and while they are looking the way they did on Sunday, then Cutler will always look like a great QB.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:59 pm

lex-ington wrote:
I could say it wasn't impressive. The Cowboys will go nowhere whilst Romo is their QB, and while they are looking the way they did on Sunday, then Cutler will always look like a great QB.

Kissing Suzy Kolber, long a place of Cowboy taunting, has yet to offer one of their usual Crazy Jerry Jones pieces. It's too quiet.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.