Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

Inkedsphynx
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Respin CentOS 5.5 with new driver

Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:41 pm

So, can anyone point me to a guide or walkthrough on respinning CentOS? I need to add a driver into 5.5 and create install medium, and my Google-foo is just not up to par tonight it seems.

Shining Arcanine
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Respin CentOS 5.5 with new driver

Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:08 pm

Inkedsphynx wrote:
So, can anyone point me to a guide or walkthrough on respinning CentOS? I need to add a driver into 5.5 and create install medium, and my Google-foo is just not up to par tonight it seems.

Doing a quick Google search on the topic, here is what I find:

http://greghaygood.com/2007/12/11/build ... install-cd

A good place to ask about this would be the #centos IRC channel on freenode. People there should be able to help you with this.

I wish I could be more helpful, but I use Gentoo Linux, so I am not familiar with CentOS to the point where I could give you this level of advice.
Disclaimer: I over-analyze everything, so try not to be offended if I over-analyze something you wrote.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:32 pm

Unfortunately I've been out of the Redhat/Fedora (and by extension CentOS) loop for a while, and in any case haven't done much tinkering at the level you're dealing with here, so I'm about as lost as you are. But a key question you need to answer is: Are you trying to link the driver into the default kernel, or just add it to the list of packages included on the installation media? The answer should help you narrow down your search.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Inkedsphynx
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:16 pm

I just want it in the kernel. Basically, 5.5's kernel release doesn't have a driver I need for a RAID controller, I just want to add that driver into the kernel and then repackage it so we can use it without having to manually install a driver every time we install an OS.

Shining Arcanine
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:26 pm

Inkedsphynx wrote:
I just want it in the kernel. Basically, 5.5's kernel release doesn't have a driver I need for a RAID controller, I just want to add that driver into the kernel and then repackage it so we can use it without having to manually install a driver every time we install an OS.

You might be able to extract the ISO image's contents, add the appropriate kernel module to where it stores the kernel modules and then remake the ISO image, but I really suggest you ask advanced CentOS users about this.

You could use irssi to connect to irc.freenode.net to ask them:

http://www.irssi.org/
Disclaimer: I over-analyze everything, so try not to be offended if I over-analyze something you wrote.

SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:51 pm

Just a few minutes of poking around led me to http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Custom_Kernel.
I'm by no means a Linux sysadmin but those instructions look fairly complete.

But really, why not just build a kernel module and load that in? You can make a local repository and pull it in through there to all your machines.
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:14 am

If it is for a RAID controller then it may need to be part of the initrd image as well as available as a standard kernel module. Otherwise the kernel will not be able to see the disk to load the modules.

Inkedsphynx
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:47 am

The reason I don't just make it a local repository is two-fold, first off, I don't think I'd be able to pull it through since without the driver I can't see the array in order to install, and secondly, this won't be used by me locally, I intend to host the respin on our work servers for customers to use if they have this particular controller that doesn't have native support. Basically making my life easier not having to walk people through the driver install several times a week.

Shining Arcanine
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:38 am

Inkedsphynx wrote:
The reason I don't just make it a local repository is two-fold, first off, I don't think I'd be able to pull it through since without the driver I can't see the array in order to install, and secondly, this won't be used by me locally, I intend to host the respin on our work servers for customers to use if they have this particular controller that doesn't have native support. Basically making my life easier not having to walk people through the driver install several times a week.

I had a chat with people in #centos recently. They are a bunch of jerks and they are unlikely to be helpful to you, but you could still try asking there for help. It is your best chance, even if the chances that they will attempt to be helpful are slim.