Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

kpic
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Scsi/Raid controller will not go into Standby

Tue Apr 09, 2002 9:30 am

Have an Abit BL7 board with onboard Scsi/Raid (HPT 370/372)controller. Problem is my computer upon trying to enter standby mode gives an error: "Device driver Scsi/Raid controller is preventing machine from entering standby mode" ,I downloaded new driver from Highpoint but cannot get device manager to see it when "updating driver" what am I missing?

murray
Gerbil XP

Tue Apr 09, 2002 1:19 pm

Was there anything mentioning that the driver needed to be updated while in protected mode?

kpic
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Tue Apr 09, 2002 1:36 pm

Not sure what protected mode is, but this was the first time I saw anything related to this. The drives connected to the raid ports work fine.

murray
Gerbil XP

Tue Apr 09, 2002 2:41 pm

Protected mode is the 286 backwards compatible architecture state the processor goes into while in DOS. If I remember correctly anyways. Most BIOS updates recommend going into "Protected Mode" (basically boot off of an old bootdisk or something if you have me/2k/xp) for flashing the BIOS. If the thing you have is just a driver, you don't need to worry about it.

If the file you have is a .zip, extract everything and see if you can find a .inf file in it all. If so, you can rightclick it and choose the "Install" option.

kpic
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Tue Apr 09, 2002 4:17 pm

The .INF file does not have an install choice, but I did look further into the Readme file and turns out to be a XP problem. They state you should add the files after copying XP and before re-booting ,if you do not XP will install it's own drivers and not let you update or change them. Too bad I already installed a fresh copy of XP! Thank you Microsoft.

kpic
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Tue Apr 09, 2002 6:10 pm

Ok, reinstalled windows ,upon reinstalling I held down the F6 key this allowed me to install the Highpoint Drivers (although Microsoft recommended that I do not) everything works fine now! Thanks for the help.

murray
Gerbil XP

Tue Apr 09, 2002 6:13 pm

Glad you got it working, it seems you pretty much sorted it all out yourself.