Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

MrBerg
Gerbil
Topic Author

Strange and Confusing Network Problem

Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:43 pm

So yesterday I was just browsing the internet and my main computer (on win7) decided to freeze randomly. Everything was locked so I had to hit the reset button. When i logged back in, I didnt have internet access, then realized I wasnt connected to the network at all...

Then I switched over to ubuntu and still had the same problem so I figured it was probably a hardware problem (and windows said the computer wasnt even pluged into anything). I tried switching to a different port on the router, changing the ip address for the computer that isn't connected, tried updating the router software, in windows I tried disableing the network driver(which froze the computer...again).

Now the wierd part that confuses the hell out of me... So then I tried taking the network cable out and using it on my laptop... laptop didn't have a problem connecting, so it wasn't the cable. Now I'm thinking it's my networking port on my computer, so i connect a cable from my laptop to my computer and my computer connects to an unidentified network. I can see files on both. So what in the hell??? not the network port, not the router, not a software issue with windows, not the cable I'm using... what else could it be? is it possible when I reset my computer somethiing in the bios got screwed up or... I'm all out of ideas...

Any help please and thank you.
An American monkey, after getting drunk on brandy, would never touch it again, and thus is much wiser than most men.
~Charles Darwin

cheesyking
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Strange and Confusing Network Problem

Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:02 pm

I'd still try another cable but I really suspect the network card... a bad cable shouldn't lock the whole machine up!
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:17 pm

cheesyking wrote:
a bad cable shouldn't lock the whole machine up!

Really??
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

MrBerg
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:29 pm

Well, I guess I can try a different cable, I've seen stuff like that happen before. I just dont get how one computer can work with the cable and another than always did work with it now doesn't. and the port works when i connect it to another computer directly but doesn't when its connected to the router. I'll have to try one of my other cables, will be a pain in the ass because i have like a 25 foot on my computer right now I'll have to move my whole computer. I'd rather try other options first, and as last resort I'll have to buy a network card or cable... computer is only a year old so that will suck
An American monkey, after getting drunk on brandy, would never touch it again, and thus is much wiser than most men.
~Charles Darwin

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:36 pm

Despite my humor, I agree that the NIC in your box is on the fritz. Over the years I've learned to avoid mobo-integrated NICs and I now stick with Intel-branded NIC cards.

MrBerg
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:45 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Despite my humor, I agree that the NIC in your box is on the fritz. Over the years I've learned to avoid mobo-integrated NICs and I now stick with Intel-branded NIC cards.

Alright I'll probably try the other cable and if that doesn't work. I guess a card I will have to try...

p.s. good find on the etherkiller, I would like to see someone plug that in lol
~Charles Darwin

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:13 pm

If both the cable and the NIC are marginal, they may not work together but will work when paired with other hardware that is in better shape.

Could also be something funky going on with the router; I've had two routers go flaky on me in the past ~5 years.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:13 pm

MrBerg wrote:
p.s. good find on the etherkiller, I would like to see someone plug that in lol

Don't thank me, thank the BOFH.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:36 am

I've had cable / connector problems that will work with some hardware and not others due to different speeds / duplex, GigE needing all the wires and some hardware autonegotiating down properly when the wires are broken whilst others don't. I'd say start by swapping a known good cable in there and also check the little connector finger wires all look good and not corroded or bent. After that give up on the NIC and throw an Intel card in there as Captain Ned recommended, the Intel cards are the best in terms of performance, reliability and ability to work with any OS with minimal driver hassles.

MrBerg
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:40 pm

Alright thanks for all help.. So now I'm pretty sure it's gotta be the NIC; I tried to transfer some files over to my laptop and it just stopped working. The computer that has been having issues now says the driver is now having prblems thats either software or hardware related, and seeing as its the same in linux, it must be the hardware.

Now I'm regreting not buying a network card when I build this comp a year ago.. I almost did.
~Charles Darwin