Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

Kurotetsu
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

BitTorrent-ready Routers

Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:22 pm

I'm in the market for a router that features a built-in bittorrent client. I want a low power device that can download torrents so I don't have to leave my power guzzling desktop on overnight, and a router seems like a good choice for this (worry not, I don't download music, movies, or games over BT). Wireless support is not important, but affordability is. I've also considered a NAS with this capability, but it seemed a bit much for what I need (and a bit expensive).

My main concern is that I don't really know what to look for. The only BT capable router I've seen so far is the Asus RT-N16, which is also DD-WRT compatible (which is nice, but also not a requirement). I've been told that router needs to have enough onboard memory to handle sufficiently sized routing tables in order to handle BT well, the RT-N16 has 128MB onboard which I was told was good enough for that. I imagine the other necessity would be a USB 2.0 port so the router has someplace to actually put the files.

Does anyone else here have recommendations or tips on what to look for?
Under Construction Forever~~~

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Re: BitTorrent-ready Routers

Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:08 pm

I don't have any real suggestions but I would hope that good BT-ready routers would be able to download/seed torrents hosted on a network share as well as using external USB HDDs.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:49 pm

Have you thought about getting a router that supports DD-WRT or Tomato? Those two firmwares have some features that P2P users can benefit from.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Kurotetsu
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:49 pm

DancinJack wrote:
Have you thought about getting a router that supports DD-WRT or Tomato? Those two firmwares have some features that P2P users can benefit from.

I already have a Linksys WRT54GL with DD-WRT on it. Looks like I have some research to do.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:51 pm

Kurotetsu wrote:
I already have a Linksys WRT54GL with DD-WRT on it. Looks like I have some research to do.

Get Tomato. It is so much easier (and intuitive) to configure.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

dwhess
Gerbil

Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:16 pm

I suspect you would be better off just buying the parts and building a low power system. There are inexpensive Atom motherboards available. I would go with a low power Athlon II, integrated graphics motherboard, and a mirror made of two laptop drives. If you want something with a little more class, put it all into a small form factor enclosure. After it is setup just remote into it.

You could also pick up a refurbished netbook or laptop cheap which gives you a free UPS but I prefer systems which are repairable and recoverable.

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:26 pm

Or you could get a NAS with BT function. Synology's NASes are pretty cheap ($100 up) and support BT as well as 2 TB drives. I'm looking at getting a 2x2 TB NAS setup in the near future.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

Kurotetsu
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:52 pm

Voldenuit wrote:
Or you could get a NAS with BT function. Synology's NASes are pretty cheap ($100 up) and support BT as well as 2 TB drives. I'm looking at getting a 2x2 TB NAS setup in the near future.

Yeah, the DS110j for $150 looks nice. I thought it could get what I wanted for cheaper, but its rapidly looking like it wouldn't be worth the effort (and I'd have to spend between $80 and $100 for a new router anyway).

Shining Arcanine
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:48 pm

Try this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833320038
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Op ... ent_client

Just attach an external storage device to it and it should be fairly trivial to set things up from inside dd-wrt, which is the router's default firmware.
Disclaimer: I over-analyze everything, so try not to be offended if I over-analyze something you wrote.