Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

mghong
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Casing Fan

Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:30 pm

Hi ,

I using a CM690 case where it can hold more then 6 fan , but at my motherboard Asus M4A87TD/USD3 only have 3 fan pin on it.

If i want to really monitoring all fan speed , will it be possible since my motherboard only have 3 fan power pin available ? And i am more focus on cabling to have a better air-flow(Malaysia weather is 24*7 hot.. :( ...)

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Casing Fan

Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:42 pm

I'd say monitor the ones that really matter -- CPU, one of the exhaust fans, and the side intake that blows on the video card (if you have a side intake installed).

Fans usually let you know ahead of time when they're going to fail (bearing noise), and when they die they typically seize up (stop spinning entirely). If you're really worried, just pop the side off the case every couple of weeks and make sure all of the fans are still spinning.

Edit: Looking more closely at the design of that case, I'd say you want to monitor your exhausts. AFAICT the hard drive bays don't have any active cooling, so you need to maintain negative pressure inside the case to ensure that air gets pulled in through the front vents across the hard drive(s). If there's a fan I can't see tucked in front of that hard drive cage, then maybe you want to monitor that instead of one of the exhausts.

Edit 2: WTF... why is there a vent underneath the motherboard? That's a pretty strange case design...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

mghong
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:20 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I'd say monitor the ones that really matter -- CPU, one of the exhaust fans, and the side intake that blows on the video card (if you have a side intake installed).

Fans usually let you know ahead of time when they're going to fail (bearing noise), and when they die they typically seize up (stop spinning entirely). If you're really worried, just pop the side off the case every couple of weeks and make sure all of the fans are still spinning.

Edit: Looking more closely at the design of that case, I'd say you want to monitor your exhausts. AFAICT the hard drive bays don't have any active cooling, so you need to maintain negative pressure inside the case to ensure that air gets pulled in through the front vents across the hard drive(s). If there's a fan I can't see tucked in front of that hard drive cage, then maybe you want to monitor that instead of one of the exhausts.

Edit 2: WTF... why is there a vent underneath the motherboard? That's a pretty strange case design...

Infact hard drive bays got a active cooling fan blowing air into the case , and there are 2 Fan on Top is sucking air out from the cases with CPU fan on top as well.

Will look into those fan later on , is there any software other then BIOS to monitor my motherboard ,fan , hdd temperature and fan speed ?

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:59 pm

mghong wrote:
is there any software other then BIOS to monitor my motherboard ,fan , hdd temperature and fan speed ?
Everest, HW Monitor, and even Asus Probe II (that comes with your board, but don't think it can do HDD temps) can do that.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

mghong
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:04 am

Flying Fox wrote:
mghong wrote:
is there any software other then BIOS to monitor my motherboard ,fan , hdd temperature and fan speed ?
Everest, HW Monitor, and even Asus Probe II (that comes with your board, but don't think it can do HDD temps) can do that.

Hi Fox ,

Thank , i downlaod everest (30day trial) - it mention my motherboard is unknow... :D ...but lucky HW Monitor do the trick and it is more smaller..with HDD temps.. :D

Btw i just run the hwmonitor ,will let anyone to share with me if there something wrong on my new rig ?