Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sharing Permissions FreeNas

Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:41 pm

So I am trying to setup file permissions for sharing in FreeNas and I am having a little difficulty. I am trying to do this through the command line of the web GUI of FreeNas. Here is what I have so far:

Users / Group:

Me / wheel
Friend / guest
Brother / guest
Sister / guest

And these are my shares. I can access them without a problem so I know they work with permissions.

/mnt/Disk1/DVDs
/mnt/Disk1/TV
/mnt/Disk2/Music
/mnt/Disk2/HomeVideos
/mnt/Disk2/Computer
/mnt/Disk2/Me
/mnt/Disk2/Friend
/mnt/Disk2/Brother
/mnt/Disk2/Sister

My thought was to change myself to the owner to all the shares except the individual ones (Friend, Brother, Sister) I want to still be able to access all the shares with R/W capabilities though just incase. Also I was going to have slightly different permissions like my Friend can't access the HomeVideos, while my brother and sister can and my sister can't access the Computer folder. Here's what I was doing so far and it has not been working to well:

cd /mnt/Disk1/DVDs
chown -R me:wheel guest me
chmod 770 me wheel guest

That would be for the first few folders but I am having issues with the other users logging in. (I can log in though)

cd /mnt/Disk2/Computer
chmod 770 me wheel guest me -Sister

cd /mnt/Disk2/HomeVideos
chmod 770 me wheel guest me -Friend

cd /mnt/Disk2/Friend
chown -R Friend:wheel me
chmod 770 Friend wheel me

cd /mnt/Disk2/Sister
chown -R Sister:wheel me
chmod 770 Sister wheel me

Any help would greatly be appreciated. I am sure its something stupid but my brain is fried right now and I can't think straight.
To Start Press Any Key'. Where's the ANY key?
If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing
You know, boys, a nuclear reactor is a lot like a woman. You just have to read the manual and press the right buttons.