Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Re: World Of Warcraft

Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:09 am

I'm trying to decide if I want to level some alts now or wait until the Cataclysm changes come through. I have an 80 and a 76. I'm not a fan of leveling characters, the content is just too boring for multiple times through for me. I guess waiting would mean I would get to experience all of the new changes that should be introduced with the world being torn apart.

StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:20 am

Skrying, 4.01 hit a few days ago. The new cata content isn't out yet but all the new changes are out. Most people feel its worth it just to get on and see how their class was effected and how it works now. Hope you didn't have a hunter main like me! :lol:

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:19 pm

PvP seems to be a ridiculous burst damage fest again. This will probably be more normal at 85 or with a rebalance in the next patch.

elmopuddy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:32 pm

They buffed resillence in a hotfix a few days ago to counter the OP dmg
Gamer - i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX1060, 950 PRO, 840EVO

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:49 pm

Man did they up the damage on fury. I'm doing 11-14k sustained on boss fights, single target. I out damage everyone by far. I found managing threat to be more difficult than anything else, the threat gen I output forces me to not do damage at all for at least the first 10 seconds of a fight, and following that I usually have to back my rotation off multiple times. I saw a 76K execute last night on deathwhisper. I really like my new rotation, can't wait til 81 when I get my armorpen ability. Delicious dps. I was looking over the logs from last nights 10heroics, very telling. Over the damage increase to just about everything makes a joke out of ICC now. We're trying to finish our drake achieves, just need the sindragosa and lk achieves. It's likely that I'll play cataclysm until GW2 comes out.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:22 pm

elmopuddy wrote:
They buffed resillence in a hotfix a few days ago to counter the OP dmg

I have 1101 resil, all epics 245-264 ilvl and I still explode instantly from anyone in good gear.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:36 pm

Well since I regemmed, reforged all my gear, and changed a few pieces of my gear around...my dps is up quite a bit. I was worried that my char would not be doing nearly what I was pre 4.0.1, but seems like the changes are really adding up well for my toon.

StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:59 pm

I'm still 150 DPS behind what I use to be, and thats with most of my gear being better than it was pre-patch. Hunters got the suck on this one. And PvP has always been burst damage fest, that's what its all about!

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:13 pm

StuG wrote:
I'm still 150 DPS behind what I use to be, and thats with most of my gear being better than it was pre-patch. Hunters got the suck on this one. And PvP has always been burst damage fest, that's what its all about!

Hunters are not the only people behind after the patch, most melee are as well. Also, much of the changes going forward are designed specifically to extend the length of PvP encounters. It may not appear that way right now but Cataclysm is suppose to have greatly increased health pools. Also, PvP hasn't always been about blowing the other person up the fastest, there were times in Burning Crusade when such strategies were certainly not the best for Arena play.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:11 am

If they do return to more extended pvp encounters, I will enjoy that. But it doesn't seem that way right now. 85 will be different of course.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:21 pm

Well almost all of the high end pvp gear is buyable now that season 8 has finished, several of my guildies have been happy with their new 270 pvp gears. Even though it still says you need rating to get, you can still buy it, happy pvping.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:47 am

This is a nice bone to throw the players a few months before the expansion. Pleasant surprise. I got an upgraded caster shield for 70 honor. Ludicrously cheap even in the new honor system.

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:53 am

I'm just leveling my alts. Finished up my Mage to 80 and started a Warrior and Warlock which are at 24 and 16 respectively. The Warrior has heirloom axe and shoulders and is two shotting even mobs a few levels higher. Zero troubles taking out a elite mob that was level 27 with me being at 23. It's a bit ridiculous but incredible amounts of fun.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:44 pm

Finally got my kingslayer title - I quit a few months back and my raid was just getting progression on sindragosa. I need 2 more achievements to get my bone drake too, which is cool. We're also trying the LK on heroic for **** n giggles. We canned our 25 man ICC tonight (and ongoing) since it's long stale, we'll go through RS and do 10 man heroics.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:03 pm

So what does everyone think of Cataclysm being available for direct download? I'm sure that doesn't make places like Gamestop very happy. I also wonder why it is the same cost because it seems a lot less cost to Blizzard for a digital copy. Yet they don't want to pass any of that cost on to us.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:52 am

Well, the thing to remember is that a lot of people on broadband have monthly DL limits on their connections...some people may not be able to cope with a huge DL without their speed being cut down to nothing for the rest of the month. Plus if you want the collectors edition...you only can get that bad boy in retail...the DL is just the regular edition. Plus, who doesnt like standing in line with creepy people in too tight horde and alliance shirts that havent washed in the last few days? Thats pure gold right there...plus the crazy people that will start bragging about how uber their toon is and all the wonderful things they have acomplished ingame...even if its not even true.

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:50 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
So what does everyone think of Cataclysm being available for direct download? I'm sure that doesn't make places like Gamestop very happy. I also wonder why it is the same cost because it seems a lot less cost to Blizzard for a digital copy. Yet they don't want to pass any of that cost on to us.

Also I believe I read (maybe it was here) that digital downloaded copies of the games will not include any cinematics. A blue post said "well you can alt-tab and youtube the cinematics if you like". How's that for immersion?

Speaking of alt-tabbing. I noticed Blizzard has gotten a lot stricter with alt-tabbing. If I take a flight path, alt-tab to check some things, it'll disconnect me when I land. Same thing for boats and instances. Slightly irritating but oh well.

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:57 am

I'm not exactly sure that alt-tab behavior you're describing is intended. At least... when I play WoW I do so in windowed mode and navigating to a different window does not disconnect me during those times.

Also, the cinematics will be available for those with digital copies. What they've stated is that the cinematics are the last of the connect to be downloaded and since those who buy digital copies will be able to stream the game (as you could do with the 4.0 patch release) you may come across areas that would trigger a cinematic that may not be played, since you do not have the cinematic downloaded yet.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:43 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:

Its ok. But you still have to stand in line for collectors editions.

SecretMaster wrote:
Speaking of alt-tabbing. I noticed Blizzard has gotten a lot stricter with alt-tabbing. If I take a flight path, alt-tab to check some things, it'll disconnect me when I land. Same thing for boats and instances. Slightly irritating but oh well.

Have they even commented on this? Its a real PITA.

Starfalcon wrote:
plus the crazy people that will start bragging about how uber their toon is and all the wonderful things they have acomplished ingame...even if its not even true.

Pish...the mobile armory has brought a halt to that. "Whats your toon's name? And what server is it on?" "Just a sec I want to check it out" "It says here you ran the Deadmines 536 times. Mostly on prime raid nights and times. Whats up with that?" "Dude, your highest ilevel is 200, whats up with that?"
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:30 pm

Skrying wrote:
I'm not exactly sure that alt-tab behavior you're describing is intended. At least... when I play WoW I do so in windowed mode and navigating to a different window does not disconnect me during those times.

Also, the cinematics will be available for those with digital copies. What they've stated is that the cinematics are the last of the connect to be downloaded and since those who buy digital copies will be able to stream the game (as you could do with the 4.0 patch release) you may come across areas that would trigger a cinematic that may not be played, since you do not have the cinematic downloaded yet.

I prefer to play in full-screen mode. I've never had any issue with WoW disconnecting me when I've alt-tabbed out to read up some things (usually Wowwiki/wowpedia). With the 4.01 patch I get constant d/c with being alt-tabbed. It's a minor nitpick but it still can get annoying after awhile.

As for cinematics, my understanding is that there is a terrible amount of confusion. I've heard that WotLK cinematics like Wrath Gate aren't included in digital copies, from blue posters themselves. This thread here has the most concrete info I've seen.

http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.htm ... 4789&sid=1

I'm wrong
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... 9722&sid=1

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:36 am

OK so I think I read this right so feel free to correct me if I am wrong;

After the sundering happens in patch 4.0.3 you will be able to make NE mages, Dwarven Shaman, Gnome Priests, Worgen, etc. all before the expansion hits. The only thing you cannot do until Cata release is race change.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

SonWorshiper
Gerbil Elite

Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:58 pm

I would think you can't make Worgen until you actually have Cata. They said in the Cata race change article that Goblins and Worgen in the starting areas can't get a race change (I assume because of phasing). The character creation page says "requires Cataclysm" on the pics of Goblins and Worgens.

Now if the class changes will be available with 4.0.3, I have no idea. I wouldn't be surprised since all the classes' changes are already live, but who knows.

Sparticuse
Gerbil First Class

Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:48 pm

It has been confirmed no worgen/goblins till xpansion day since you need to have the expansion to make those races. I have no source for this, but I am 100% confident in it.

As to the new class combos, I can't remember any official remarks on it, but I wouldn't be surprised to only see them with the expansion itself since the lore for almost all of them includes a response to the cataclysm which technically happens when 4.0.3 launches. It wouldn't make much sense lore wise to have those available right at the exact same time. That's how I would like to see it anyway, but they will probably be available with 4.0.3

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:21 pm

Shortly before Cataclysm launches, Azeroth as you know it will be changed forever. Patch 4.0.3 will bring with it cataclysmic changes to the Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor. Players will be able to find new and exciting sights to see and quests to do in the level 1-60 zones, all-new troll and gnome introductory experiences, redesigned capital cities, new race/class combinations, and more!

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/underdev/

So it seems to be true........
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

CampinCarl
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:12 pm

I'm really, really, really having trouble not picking up Cata. If nothing else, I'd like to continue leveling my druid (he's 30ish) in the new realm--I've leveled through Azeroth way too many times to make it interesting anymore. But Cata has sooo many possibilities...
Gigabyte AB350M Gaming-3 | R7 1700X | 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200 (@DDR4-2933)| Samsung 960 Evo 1TB SSD | Gigabyte GTX1080 | Win 10 Pro x86-64

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:31 pm

Got mine preordered, going to be waiting in line at 12am with the rest of the wow fanboys.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:43 pm

I may pick up Cata and reup depending on how it's recieve :x It looks neat and I want to roll a worgen
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:19 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
I may pick up Cata and reup depending on how it's recieve :x It looks neat and I want to roll a worgen

Speaking as a Beta player, I find it waaay more interesting than WOTLK and BC. The last time I was this excited was the opening of AQ. WOTLK was just damn meh for me.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Coran Fixx
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:24 pm

Starfalcon wrote:
Well, the thing to remember is that a lot of people on broadband have monthly DL limits on their connections...some people may not be able to cope with a huge DL without their speed being cut down to nothing for the rest of the month. Plus if you want the collectors edition...you only can get that bad boy in retail...the DL is just the regular edition. Plus, who doesnt like standing in line with creepy people in too tight horde and alliance shirts that havent washed in the last few days? Thats pure gold right there...plus the crazy people that will start bragging about how uber their toon is and all the wonderful things they have acomplished ingame...even if its not even true.

The thing about the download is that you already took the hit when you downloaded the patch that contained the bulk of the expansion. But I agree about the collectors edition argument.

Sparticuse
Gerbil First Class

Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:11 am

So MMO Champion is now reporting that 4.0.3 will be this week, but it won't actually implement the cataclysm. It will just put the mechanics in place for the cataclysm which will be implemented with patch 4.0.3A. So many patches.