Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Starfalcon

mghong
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

My rig cooling problem ?

Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:55 pm

Hi Guy,

Previous i posted one of my question in wrong topic , will like to see help from you guy .

It is a print screen show of HW monitor .
Fan thread

This is how it look like

Dont know how to improve the air flow ,currently the only airflow in is from HDD cage , and it is being suck out from the top and back of the slot fan.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: My rig cooling problem ?

Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:06 pm

Replace the stock HSF with something better. The case looks fine, especially with that bottom intake vent (assuming it's open). Two 120mm fans blowing out will certainly draw enough air through that vent.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:28 pm

HWmonitor shows 0C for the CPU which is wrong. Try CoreTemp and see if you can get a valid CPU temp reading. May be it is not that bad? Are you running into heat-related issues/throttling?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

mghong
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:27 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
HWmonitor shows 0C for the CPU which is wrong. Try CoreTemp and see if you can get a valid CPU temp reading. May be it is not that bad? Are you running into heat-related issues/throttling?

Hi Fox,

Based on HWMonitor , it reflect that my CPU and GPU is having temperature > 60 ,i haven't try to overclock it yet .

Here are my CoreTemp

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:49 pm

All that says is that Core Temp isn't seeing the sensor data. Are you running as admin while trying to log data? If not, that's a good chunk of the problem.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:53 am

mghong wrote:
Based on HWMonitor , it reflect that my CPU and GPU is having temperature > 60 ,i haven't try to overclock it yet .
The picture in your other thread showed the CPU cores showing 0C too. The app is not reading the sensors correctly for some reason.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

mghong
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:35 am

Flying Fox wrote:
mghong wrote:
The picture in your other thread showed the CPU cores showing 0C too. The app is not reading the sensors correctly for some reason.

Just found out from the net, i need to disable some setting on bios to disable the temperature correctly in OS level.

Check out this...:) New bios for a old folk like me is a challenge lucky we have google.. 8)

wabbit
Gerbil

Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:05 am

I would suggest hiding the cables behind the motherboard, as your case suppports it. Also, get a better heatsiing in any case, stock AMD tends to break down really fast (I had three HSFs on three different computers fail within a month).

MrJP
Gerbil Elite

Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:10 am

Is that with the system idle? Seems rather on the hot side if so, though I've got no direct experience of Phenoms. How hot does it get if you run Prime95? If it gets into the high 70s (degC), I'd try refitting the heatsink with some fresh thermal compound applied in a nice, thin layer. If it's still hot after that, then you might want to consider an upgrade to a better heatsink. I'd consider this a must if you're going to try any overclocking. Arctic Cooling and Xigmatek are both decent brands if you're after something not too expensive.
i7-6700K ~ Asus Z170I Pro Gaming ~ 16GB Corsair DDR4-2400 ~ Radeon R9 Nano
Noctua NHU9S ~ Corsair Obsidian 250D ~ Corsair RM650X ~ Crucial MX100 512GB
SMSL M3 ~ Sennheiser HD555 ~ Logitech G500S/G910/G29 ~ LG 34UC79G

mghong
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:25 am

MrJP wrote:
Is that with the system idle? Seems rather on the hot side if so, though I've got no direct experience of Phenoms. How hot does it get if you run Prime95? If it gets into the high 70s (degC), I'd try refitting the heatsink with some fresh thermal compound applied in a nice, thin layer. If it's still hot after that, then you might want to consider an upgrade to a better heatsink. I'd consider this a must if you're going to try any overclocking. Arctic Cooling and Xigmatek are both decent brands if you're after something not too expensive.

Just hide out 2 USB and 2 Sata cable ..it really messy now at the backpanel... :D

mghong
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:29 am

mghong wrote:
MrJP wrote:

Just hide out 2 USB and 2 Sata cable ..it really messy now at the backpanel... :D

Now i know exactly what happen after i play around with the BIOS setting , because my CPU is actually a
Phenom II X2 but i on the Core Unlocker and it give me extra core but in HWMonitor it will disappear all my
CPU temperature as above mention except i reset back to default

I also found a article on web about http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/535501-official-amd-k10-5-core-cache.html