Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Need some cell phone advice

Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:38 pm

I'm trying to decide on a new phone, between an iPhone 4 and a Blackberry Torch. I've found most reviews comparing the two tend to have beef with one of the two companies clouting any kind of objectivity so I figured I'd put this to the masses.

I don't actually call people that often but I text a lot, I surf and use twitter (through the iPhone twitter app currently) even more.

TORCH:
Pros:
BBM - everyone I work with uses BBM.
Tactile keyboard - I've had an iPhone 3g for a year now and I still cant text for [expletive] t on it

Cons:
Horrible app support.
thicker, less nice in the pocket
Might need to change my cell phone plan.
This likely won't be an issue but I still remember when sliders were new and the connection between each half tended to die a lot.

IPHONE 4:
Pros:
Been using an iPhone for a year now, so it's what I'm used to
have spent like $20 on apps for it which would carry over
Currently on Rogers' iPhone plan so I don't need to worry about any tweaks/plan changes

Cons:
had problems wtih the sim card in my iPhone 3g, worried of more problems
$50 more
I'm really clumsy, I see this thing shattering in my near future.
Hey girl you want a bad boy? I overclock my backup servers.
Ryzen 9 5900X | 2070 Super | 32 GB RAM | BX100 500 GB+MX500 500GB+660P 1TB
Sempron [email protected] | 2 GB RAM | 6 TB | FreeBSD 12

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Re: Need some cell phone advice

Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:58 pm

My dad was considering a Torch, but ended up getting the Samsung GalaxyS instead. The sales lady said that BB always has troubles with new phones when they are released & the Torch is no exception. The Torch is just Storm with a new look & the Storm was just a mess of a phone.

I would recommend the iPhone or something that runs Droid. (GalaxyS or one of the HTC phones)
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:24 pm

Hoser wrote:
My dad was considering a Torch, but ended up getting the Samsung GalaxyS instead. The sales lady said that BB always has troubles with new phones when they are released & the Torch is no exception. The Torch is just Storm with a new look & the Storm was just a mess of a phone.

I would recommend the iPhone or something that runs Droid. (GalaxyS or one of the HTC phones)

I am on BB Storm number two right now I finally wore the first one out. You either like the storm or you hate it with most people being in the that is the biggest piece of **** I have ever used in my life camp. My contract is up after the first of the year not sure what I will get. I just know it has to be on verizon then I will narrow it down from there.

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:11 pm

what makes it a POS? I just realized my bill will be $20-40 less with the Torch so I'm curious for specifics.

sid1089
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:14 pm

Wait a bit longer and see what Windows Phone 7 looks like?
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:23 pm

pikaporeon wrote:
what makes it a POS? I just realized my bill will be $20-40 less with the Torch so I'm curious for specifics.

It's not so much that it's a POS, it's just that compared to the other smartphones out there, the Torch doesn't really have anything to compete with them. Engadget has a really good review of it, as does Gizmodo. Both come to the same conclusions......there's better offerings out there.
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:17 pm

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:26 pm

the only android phone thats really an option to me is the Captivate.

lex-ington
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:38 pm

The torch is a rather nice phone. My wife has one and it delivers. No, its not the fastest or has the nicest screen or have the greatest selection of games, but what are you getting the phone for.

Their maps and communication software is excellent Switching my wife over from the curve to the torch was a cinch. I thought the keyboard looked cramped until I played with it and its quite nice.

I have the HTC Desire, and although I really like my phone, I can't get used to that on-screen keyboard . . . .I just can't. But if you do get the Captivate, get RockPlayer and Dolphin HD and you're set.

If you watch movies or videos on your phone, the torch is the only one that plays most formats out of the box. With an application like Rockplayer, the Android will get close, and then apple requires a bunch of converting, but you know that already.

With my wife getting the torch and both phones using the same connectors, I can now get rid of her iPod Touch (which I bought specifically for her to watch a movie while she's on the plane) and now just get her a Sansa clip for the gym.

Like the sales guy told us a few weeks ago, if you don't really care about loading up apps and playing with modifying the phone all the time, the torch is a solid phone that will deliver.
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:41 pm

I'm way behind the wave, but the original Droid and Bugless Beast 2.1 keep me happy.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:50 pm

I do three things primarily with my phone: read my email, fool around on twitter, and surf the net in situations not condusive to busting out a laptop.

Voldenuit

Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:15 am

Shopping for a smartphone at the moment too.

Just handled a Nokia N8 in store today. Very nice build - unibody aluminum case. UI is a lot better than the Nokias of old, while retaining the Nokia phone 'usability'.

PROS:
Amazing build - no other smartphone comes close, except the (old) HTC Legend
12 MP Camera with Zeiss lens and 1/1.8" sensor
Free GPS and turn by turn navigation with Ovi Maps
Battery life measured in days, as opposed to hours
Powerful GPU
Bright AMOLED touchscreen
No carrier lock
Expandable microSD storage (that won't corrupt your OS if you remove it unlike WP7)

CONS:
Symbian ^3 is a dead platform
680 MHz ARM11 CPU
Touchscreen a bit sluggish (on par with Android 2.1 phones)
No carrier subsidy

I'm still not completely sold, since I'm hesitant to invest in a platform (and apps) with no real future, but I have to say I'm tempted.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

mghong
Gerbil XP

Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:19 am

Voldenuit wrote:
Shopping for a smartphone at the moment too.

Just handled a Nokia N8 in store today. Very nice build - unibody aluminum case. UI is a lot better than the Nokias of old, while retaining the Nokia phone 'usability'.

PROS:
Amazing build - no other smartphone comes close, except the (old) HTC Legend
12 MP Camera with Zeiss lens and 1/1.8" sensor
Free GPS and turn by turn navigation with Ovi Maps
Powerful GPU
Bright AMOLED touchscreen
No carrier lock
Expandable microSD storage (that won't corrupt your OS if you remove it unlike WP7)

CONS:
Symbian ^3 is a dead platform
680 MHz ARM11 CPU
Touchscreen a bit sluggish (on par with Android 2.1 phones)
No carrier subsidy

I'm still not completely sold, since I'm hesitant to invest in a platform (and apps) with no real future, but I have to say I'm tempted.

At least if free upgrade is available it will last for another 2 year (maxi)
NokiaDNA

glacius555
Gerbil XP

Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:01 am

pikaporeon wrote:
...IPHONE 4:
Pros:
Been using an iPhone for a year now, so it's what I'm used to
have spent like $20 on apps for it which would carry over
Currently on Rogers' iPhone plan so I don't need to worry about any tweaks/plan changes

Cons:
had problems wtih the sim card in my iPhone 3g, worried of more problems...

Sorry for changing the subject, what kind of sim card problems are those, can you describe them?

Thanks a lot!
Fractal Design Arc Midi|Antec EA-650|Asus P7P55D Premium|Core i5-750|Gigabyte HD6950 unlocked|X-Fi XtremeMusic|24" Iiyama ProLite B2403WS|Logitech Z-5500|Logitech G11|Logitech G9x

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:33 am

occasionally i'll get a "NO SIM CARD INSERTED" message and need to hard-reset it a few (dozen) times to get it to work again. I've tried other sim cards in the handset and experience the same problem, and removing and reinserting the sim card rarely helps. I've used my sim card in my friends 3GS and that worked fine too.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:45 am

pikaporeon wrote:
occasionally i'll get a "NO SIM CARD INSERTED" message and need to hard-reset it a few (dozen) times to get it to work again. I've tried other sim cards in the handset and experience the same problem, and removing and reinserting the sim card rarely helps. I've used my sim card in my friends 3GS and that worked fine too.

You should try removing the battery. *ducks and runs* :)
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:54 am

... i see what you did there.

glacius555
Gerbil XP

Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:06 am

pikaporeon wrote:

I see. my problem with my 3GS is more severe, I get "no service", no matter what sim card I use.. I suspect it is a hardware problem, not sure if it's the sim card slot or the GSM antenna.

I was also considering an iPhone 4, but after reading the Windows 7 mobile phones reviews I decided to wait until M$ irons out some of their issues, I will just buy one of theirs..
Fractal Design Arc Midi|Antec EA-650|Asus P7P55D Premium|Core i5-750|Gigabyte HD6950 unlocked|X-Fi XtremeMusic|24" Iiyama ProLite B2403WS|Logitech Z-5500|Logitech G11|Logitech G9x

riviera74
Gerbil Elite

Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:21 am

I have a cell phone question: should I get an iPhone 3GS or go for the iPhone 4? My next choice might be a Blackberry Torch. Personally, I am not too keen on Android (except for maybe a Samsung Captivate).
Omen by HP Desktop: Core i5-7400, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050, 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:44 am

the captivate is every bit as capable as the iphone 4, and I'd consider it though I hate how it looks.

emorgoch
Gerbil Elite

Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:50 am

I just got a captivate myself mid last week, and I'm loving it. It does tend to go through the battery a lot faster than I'm used to, but this is the first true smart phone that I've owned, so I don't know if it's the phone, or just the fact that it is a smart phone (personal phone was a RAZR, and I started using a BB 9000 for work at the start of summer).

However, the one feature that's set it apart for me compared to anything else I've played with with Swype. It makes typing on a touch screen a joy to use, and really challenges typing on the blackberry keyboard. Showed it to a co-worker today who is using a Torch, and he was truly impressed.

From web reviews, browsing with either the iPhone or Android is faster than the Torch, specifically because you aren't going through the BIS servers. Obviously the Torch has a long way to catch up with app support. The largest complaint I have with the Captivate is that Samsung screwed around with the default Android contact manager, and completely destroyed it's ability to sync properly with my GMail contacts. The Motorola Milestone I was using for a week before switching to he Captivate also seemed to have better support for attaching to corporate networks (haven't actually tried it with either, but the ability to do so seemed far easier to set up with the milestone).

Just my $0.02 so far.
Intel i7 4790k @ stock, Asus Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac), 2x8GB Crucial DDR3 1600MHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB + 2TB Western Digital Black
Dell 2408WFP and Dell 2407WFP-HC for dual-24" goodness
Windows 10 64-bit

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:27 pm

iPhone 4 or the current king of the Androids. There's too many issues with other smartphone platforms. Either they're about to die (Symbian), they're too young (Windows Phone 7), poor app support and inferior browsing (Blackberry) or have effectively vanished (WebOS).

thecoldanddarkone

Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:37 pm

My dad just got the Samsung Facinate. I'm programming it right now. The biggest thing about it, is the SOLED screen. I find the usability to be great. I own a Pre+ for those who want to know.

lex-ington

Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:07 am

I updated my HTC Desire last night to the Android 2.2

It is a must for anyone that has an Android phone capable of handling the update. The ability to move a bunch of applications to the SD card frees up alot of internal phone memory. The phone is smoother all around and the internet is much faster.

The one thing I did like about not being able to install to the SD card though - You don't waste space on useless crap, like the farting sound "app" . . . .really???. . . . . .that's an "app"???

elmopuddy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:16 am

I wonder if Rogers blocks the upgrade to 2.2 on their Galaxy...
Gamer - i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX1060, 950 PRO, 840EVO

morphine
TR Staff

Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:36 am

lex-ington wrote:
like the farting sound "app" . . . .really???. . . . . .that's an "app"???

Obviously, you don't live on the iPhone world :lol:
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

emorgoch
Gerbil Elite

Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:36 am

elmopuddy wrote:
I wonder if Rogers blocks the upgrade to 2.2 on their Galaxy...

I know I read a press release somewhere from Rogers saying that they'd be releasing Froyo to customers, but that it wouldn't come until H1 2011. Of course, they have to wait for Samsung to release it in NA before they can push it out, so who know what the actual timing will be.
Intel i7 4790k @ stock, Asus Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac), 2x8GB Crucial DDR3 1600MHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB + 2TB Western Digital Black
Dell 2408WFP and Dell 2407WFP-HC for dual-24" goodness
Windows 10 64-bit

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:43 am

morphine wrote:
lex-ington wrote:
like the farting sound "app" . . . .really???. . . . . .that's an "app"???

Obviously, you don't live on the iPhone world :lol:

Not only is it an app, at one point it was the most popular most successful app. It had the company bragging about their, at the peak, 10k a day revenue.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:43 pm

Voldenuit wrote:
PROS:
Powerful GPU

CONS:
680 MHz ARM11 CPU
Does this really affect the speed of things like transitions, apps loading and such? I am not a fan of people keep zoning in on the CPU. Symbian does not really need that high clocked CPU in order to function smoothly. If you want to play games you would be doing it on a different phone with better game selections anyways?

pikaporeon wrote:
the captivate is every bit as capable as the iphone 4, and I'd consider it though I hate how it looks.
This is definitely personal, but of the 4 variants of the Galaxy S in the US, I find the Captivate better than the others.

lex-ington wrote:
Is the update pushed by Telus or you have to upgrade yourself with some hacking?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

lex-ington

Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:55 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
lex-ington wrote:
Is the update pushed by Telus or you have to upgrade yourself with some hacking?

Its pushed by Telus - even though you have to go into the menu and have the phone check for updates to get it. . . . . and the phone can't be plugged in to a computer at the time as the update needs access to the SD card and the connection between phone and computer is interrupted during the update causing the SD card to become unreadable (at least this is what I experienced). But the update only takes about 7 minutes. Very smooth operation I must say.