Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

mph_Ragnarok
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Looking for shooting games

Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:34 am

Hey all, I was wondering if you guys could recommend me some first-person shooters. I tried some third person ones like Dead Space and the two Lost Planets and I didn't enjoy them nearly as much as I enjoyed something like the new Medal of Honor or Metro 2033.

So I'm really desperate for a game to play.

So here's a list of what I have played. Anything not on here that you can think of?
I'll start at 2005, I nostalgia'd

Doom 3
Quake 4
Half life 2 and its two episodes
Portal
Crysis
Crysis Warhead
All the CODs
Metro 2033
STALKER (too much rpg, not enough shooter)
Fallout 3
Medal of Honor 2010
Metro 2033
Just Cause 2 (was really fun)
Borderlands
Bioshock (didn't enjoy it at all, so I didn't bother with Bioshock 2)
FEAR and it's two expansions
FEAR 2
Battlefield Bad Company 2
Farcry original (great! )
Farcry 2 (didn't like as much)
SiN episode 1
UT 2004
UT 3
Last edited by mph_Ragnarok on Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Re: Looking for shooting games

Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:41 am

cjcerny
Gerbil First Class

Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:49 am

Looks like you missed the Far Cry games and the entire Rainbow Six series.

RickyTick
Gerbil Elite

Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:55 am

Looks like you've played most of the modern shooter games. If you don't mind going a little retro, Return to Castle Wolfenstein is a great single player FPS. Going back just a little bit more, Soldier of Fortune and Soldier of Fortune Double Helix were a lot of fun too.
Corsair 450D | EVGA SuperNova G3 650W | Asus Z270 Prime-A | Intel i7-7700K | Cryorig H7 | MSI GTX1070 Gaming X 8G | 16gb GSkill TridentZ DDR4 3200 | Crucial MX300 M.2-2280 1TB | Corsair K70 Rapidfire | Logitech G502 | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:17 am

Far Cry is a great game; the sequel is decent and not quite as good, but they're both worth playing.

Grape Flavor
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:26 am

Hmm, the FPS games I can think of that you missed are:

Far Cry (2004): Can't see you hating this if you liked Crysis. TweakGuide here: http://www.tweakguides.com/ , Widescreen guide here: http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wi ... s_List_-_F

Make sure you patch, and enable the HDR command - (1-11), UbiSoft suggests value = 7, and make sure you get the "64-bit" pack with enhanced textures and stuff (works on 32-bit too, read the TweakGuide).

Brothers in Arms series (2005-2008): The emo narration is kind of over the top IMO but the gameplay is very solid. Definitely doesn't play like any other shooter out there. Gameplay is pretty similar throughout the series so might not want to play them all back-to-back, or possibly just get the most recent one, I dunno. Again WSGF for widescreen functionality on the first 2 games.

Far Cry 2 got excellent reviews but everyone I hear from seems to say it's crap. I don't know as I haven't played it yet.

NOLF series was awesome but I'm not sure how it'd hold up in 2010, it's been a while.

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:33 am

How have you not played the original Half Life???

First recommendation: Half Life. Played last year, still holds up great. Grab the HD texture pack.

To just fart around and go bot hunting, Unreal Tournament and UT2k4. Both excellent to go bot killing. UT classic still holds up well as well.

As others have said, Far Cry was very good as well. Very hard before the patch came out letting you quick save.
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. This was the game that started the whole WWII thing, back in the day, it's D-Day landing was quite good. Don't know how well it stands up now though, I played it when it first came out.

The first 3 Splinter cells, although not a fps, are still excelent if you're into the whole sneaking thing.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

Grape Flavor
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:40 am

Sargent Duck wrote:
How have you not played the original Half Life???

First recommendation: Half Life. Played last year, still holds up great. Grab the HD texture pack.

To just fart around and go bot hunting, Unreal Tournament and UT2k4. Both excellent to go bot killing. UT classic still holds up well as well.

If he hasn't played Half-Life yet, IMHO he should just wait for the Black Mesa remake, it'll be out this year (for free!) and will feel MUCH more modern.
And UT2004 is still great.

Sargent Duck wrote:
The first 3 Splinter cells, although not a fps, are still excelent if you're into the whole sneaking thing.

Yeah, if you want to move beyond FPS I'd have a million recommendations.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:04 am

If you haven't played the original Half Life, definitely check that out... you can even get a Source version of it off Steam for almost nothing (it still uses the old textures so don't expect it to look like HL2 or anything) - graphics aside, it's one of the best shooters of all time IMHO.

Another one that I really enjoyed was Deus Ex. The graphics and gameplay aren't super by todays standards, but the story is well done and there are a ton of different ways to approach various situations.

And of course, if you're looking for a pure adrenaline rush, there is the Serious Sam series..

bdwilcox
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:35 am

Call of Duty
Call of Duty: United Offensive
Call of Duty 2
SiN (can be had for free with SiN Episodes on Steam)
Chrome
Blood (holds up incredibly well - get it at Good Old Games)
Blood 2: The Chosen
Outlaws (gameplay holds up very well with D3D patch)
Clive Barker's Undying (I thought it was boring but many people liked it)
another vote for No One Lives Forever 1 & 2 (two of the best games I've ever played)
Duke Nukem (graphics suck, but game is fantastic)
Shadow Warrior (graphics suck, but game is fantastic)
Halo
Halo 2
Kingpin (bad language but fun gameplay)
Painkiller Black Edition
Shogo: Mobile Armor Division A Classic
Unreal 2
Kiss: Psycho Circus (I thought it was fun...)
Red Faction
Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force (Excellent but rather short)
Chaser
Prey
Red Orchestra
another vote for Half-Life 1 (enemy soldier AI is still some of the most realistic AI I've encountered)

Though 3rd person, Max Payne 1 & 2 are both fantastic.

I'll see if I can think of any others...
Last edited by bdwilcox on Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:55 am

What, no Team Fortress 2?
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

mph_Ragnarok
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:12 pm

Oh yea, I forgot to add a few that you guys just reminded me of:

Farcry original (great! )
Farcry 2 (didn't like as much)
The first Sin game in the Sin Episodes line. Weren't there supposed to be many of them? There was only one and it was MAD HARD.

I will update the original post.

I'm going to try some of the ones mentioned here.

EDIT: Oh and I've spent billions of hours playing ut2k4 and millions of hours playing ut3! Too bad this type of game is going extinct.

mortifiedPenguin
Gerbil Elite

Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:26 pm

As mentioned earlier, Deus Ex with the updated renderer, texture pack, and enhanced model pack. Deus Ex 2 is decent but not nearly as good as the original but I think worth a play if you get it on sale; it also has a texture pack.

Mirror's Edge isn't much of a shooter per se, but is first person and pretty fun.

Mass Effect 1/2. Third person RPGs but definitely shooter oriented. 2 is generally better regarded than 1 but both have good stories and action. 2 has a better action experience though.

I was going to suggest maybe System Shock 2 with mods but if you didn't like Bioshock, you probably won't it either.

Thief series perhaps? With mods it holds up reasonably well.
2600K @ 4.8GHz; XSPC Rasa/RX240/RX120 Phobya Xtreme 200; Asus P8Z68-V Pro; 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1333 C9; 2x7970 OC w/ Razor 7970; Force GT 120GB; 3x F3 1TB; Corsair HX750; X-Fi Titanium; Corsair Obsidian 650D; Dell 2408WFP Rev. A01; 2x Dell U2412m

SonicSilicon
Gerbil First Class

Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:16 pm

Two more notable series :
Tribes
Descent

You may also want to look into Warsow and possibly Cube or Sauerbraten.

DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite

Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:42 pm

Chex Quest. It's pretty much a freeware version of DOOM that's been heavily modded. Chex Quest 3 contains both 1&2 missions. You can find it easily if you just google it. And definitely get Half Life: Source. If you want a preview, check out the "freeman's mind" episodes on YouTube. They're good for a laugh after you play the game as well.
Intel Core i7-5775c, Asus Maximus VII Formula, Win 10 Pro
RTX 2080 Ti FE, Corsair 2x8GB DDR3-1866, Corsair AX860
Corsair H105, WD Red 4TB x2, Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Alienware AW3418DW, Corsair 450D

michael_d
Gerbil Elite

Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:40 pm

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl has a lot of shooting. I would try Rainbow Six Vegas original as I have never played the sequel this is one of the hardest games. Also, Gears of War

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:24 pm

I picked up L4D and L4D2 as part of a Steam sale. Generally I do not like FPS and I am not really a zombie/horror fan, but something was just right about these games.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

potatochobit
Gerbil Elite

Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:36 pm

Im not really sure what you mean going extinct.
I cant really take you as a serious gamer if you have not played or own TF2 or the orange box

but then maybe you are a modern warfare kind of guy 8)

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:33 pm

A lot of people are recommending old games, which I don't necessarily agree with. There are some games that hold up relatively well (Half-Life 1 for example), but other games aren't really fun anymore.

I tried playing Medal of Honor: Allied Assault in 2006 and I couldn't get through it. I played some of the levels, but the gameplay was already outdated by then. I enjoyed the multiplayer for a little while though. I would recommend that you try Medal of Honor: Airborne if you're really hard up for something to play. It wasn't terrific, but I managed to get the whole way through it (it's short).

Descent: Freespace is fun (Freespace 2 is even better), but I couldn't get into the original 3 Descents.

Rainbow Six Vegas 2 was a lot of fun, but I couldn't get myself to finish the first one.

Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway was okay, but I didn't finish it, so I can't really recommend it. Vegas 2 was definitely better.

Deus Ex has bad gameplay, but a good story. If you're the kind of person who enjoys classic literature or fine cinema, then you'll enjoy Deus Ex.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite

Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:09 pm

I couldn't get into Deus Ex but I bought it right after playing Half Life expecting the same kind of game.
Intel Core i7-5775c, Asus Maximus VII Formula, Win 10 Pro
RTX 2080 Ti FE, Corsair 2x8GB DDR3-1866, Corsair AX860
Corsair H105, WD Red 4TB x2, Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Alienware AW3418DW, Corsair 450D

arsenhazzard
Gerbil First Class

Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:24 pm

TurtlePerson2 wrote:
Descent: Freespace is fun (Freespace 2 is even better), but I couldn't get into the original 3 Descents.

OT, but the Descent series is unrelated to the Freespace series.

As for the OP:
I'll echo Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Deus Ex, Painkiller, and Serious Sam
Also:
Any of the Jedi Knight games
If you enjoyed Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas is out
Call of Duty 4, though you may not enjoy it as much having played BC2 and MoH
Singularity wasn't too bad

bdwilcox
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:10 am

Though I didn't like them, Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter and GRAW2 are a couple more.

Sparticuse
Gerbil First Class

Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:07 pm

Best two games listed above:

Half life
Deus Ex

Of all the shooters I've played over the years, those two are the absolute top of my list.

Now, depending on how flexible your definition of "shooter" is, I mentioned in another thread Heavy Gear 2 is an amazing piece of software that anyone who likes mech games should play through.

I'm too lazy to see if Painkiller was mentioned above. In the "brainless, shoot-it-if-it-moves" genre its is my favorite. Just to put an exclamation mark on that one, can you think of any game at all that has a gun that shoots lightning bolt shurikens? seriously. Painkiller has that gun and it IS as cool as it sounds.

bdwilcox
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:41 pm

Sparticuse wrote:
I'm too lazy to see if Painkiller was mentioned above.

It's called Ctrl+F. Learn it, live it, love it.

Sparticuse
Gerbil First Class

Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:49 am

bdwilcox wrote:
It's called Ctrl+F. Learn it, live it, love it.

Oh I am familiar with Ctrl + F. I think you underestimate the depths of my lazy.

To stay on topic here is another shooter I highly recomend: Doom. The orginal. I got it in the Steam "ID" pack. Basically every game ID has made through Doom 3 or so (including Commander Keen even). It really holds up a lot better than I expected it to. Still a fantastic game all around... well aside from the graphics anyway, but I am an old school gamer so there is a certain charm to a complete lack of polygonal graphics.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:30 am

I couldn't get into Deus Ex but I bought it right after playing Half Life expecting the same kind of game.

I didn't like Deus Ex at first, but it really grew on me. I liked the fact that stealth worked, and actually mattered. I liked the fact that you could customize your character around your playing style, and the story - once you got a handle on what was going on - was really well done.

l33t-g4m3r
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:12 pm

trying to list some unmentioned games here:
earthsiege/starsiege
outwars
tribes vengeance
CnC renegade
heretic
rott
catacomb abyss
quiver
strife
eternal doom (must play)
hexen2
house of the dead
postal2
startrek ds9/voyager (expansion&2)
quake1 (darkplaces mod)
quake2 (evolved)
unreal
system shock 1 portable
beyond good and evil/psychonauts?
AvP classic
Chronicles of Riddick
thief deadly shadows
terminal velocity
red baron
descent3
aquanox 1/2
Freelancer/Tachyon
Darkstar One
Batman AA
Alice (awesome game)
starship troopers
kings quest 8
clive barker's jericho
wolfenstein (new one)
project igi

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:29 pm

Yeah +1 on Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay/Assault on Dark Athena combo on steam or elsewhere.

Others that have already been mentioned but that i would put on high priority are:
Half-Life
STALKER:SoC

It's a bit old... but have you played Thief: Deadly Shadows? (It's not really a shooter... compared to everything else being talked about).

EDIT: lol... tried ctrl+f... /facepalm... i'm a +1 kinda guy
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:39 pm

l33t-g4m3r wrote:
tribes vengeance

[1 month late]
I've never seen another person even mention tribes vengeance. I played the hell out of that game, and years later i still can't figure out why it wasn't more popular than it was.[\1 month late]
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:56 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
l33t-g4m3r wrote:
tribes vengeance

[1 month late]
I've never seen another person even mention tribes vengeance. I played the hell out of that game, and years later i still can't figure out why it wasn't more popular than it was.[\1 month late]

Most people considered Vengeance to be a disappointment after Tribes 2. It wasn't that Tribes Vengeance was really bad, it was that it wasn't really great after Tribes 2. Tribes 2 was a hardcore game and Tribes: Vengeance was simplified a little bit.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580