Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

mikeymike
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Win7, recent files opened in program-specific jump-lists

Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:02 am

I've got Firefox pinned on my Start menu, but I can't find where Windows stores information about the files I've downloaded in Firefox. I've tried a registry and file search of my Windows user profile for one of the listed files, but I haven't found any results.

I did 'find' one result, but Windows file search called it an 'Internet shortcut' and wouldn't tell me where it was being stored. I tried clearing out my IE history completely, but it didn't make any difference.

roont
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Win7, recent files opened in program-specific jump-lists

Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:39 am

It usually goes into the c:\users\username\downloads, but if not there, in firefox, you should be able to click tools/downloads (ctrl-j) to open the downloads window, and then right click any given item and select "open containing folder". This will be where your downloads are going
"...and she says, 'That's not my expansion slot.' So my friend says, 'That's not my gold plated 22-pin connector!! Ah-hahahaHA!"

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:01 am

x:\users\...\appdata\roaming\mozilla\firefox\profiles\...\downloads.sqlite

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Dow ... w+is+blank

Remove corrupt downloads file
If Firefox is set to remember what you've downloaded, but its list of downloads is still blank:

1.Open your profile folder:
■(Firefox 3.0 and 3.5): See How to find your profile
1.(Firefox 3.6): At the top of the Firefox window, click on the Help menu and select Troubleshooting Information.... The Troubleshooting Information tab will open.
2.Under Application Basics, click on Open Containing Folder.
2.From the menu at the top of the Firefox window, select File and then select the Exit menu item.
3.Delete the downloads.sqlite file.
If the Downloads window still fails to open after downloading a file, continue to the Further troubleshooting section below.

http://support.mozilla.com/en-us/kb/cle ... ivate+data

browser.download.manager.retention

Indicates how long downloads are retained in the Download Manager's queue after the download is completed successfully. 0 indicates that the download should be removed upon completion; 1 indicates that completed and canceled downloads should be removed on quit; 2 indicates that downloads should never be removed automatically.
In Firefox and SeaMonkey the default value is 2.
In Thunderbird the default value is 1;
If the preference is missing, the value 0 is used.

http://support.mozilla.com/en-us/kb/una ... ve%20files

Choose a different download folder
Firefox may not be able to download files if there is a problem with the folder in which downloaded files are saved:

1.At the top of the Firefox window, click on the Tools menu, and select Options...Preferences....
2.Select General panel (Main panel in Firefox 3.5).
3.In the Downloads section, select Save files to.
4.To select a download location, click Browse.... Choose a different folder to try saving files.
5.Click OK to close the Options window
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

mikeymike
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:36 am

I should have been more specific, sorry! I'm talking about any program that has its jump list in the start menu. I could like to know where that information is being stored.

Since I have programs that pre-date Windows 7 by quite a long shot, I doubt that Windows 7 explicitly asks each program's recent file save list, and re-naming my Seamonkey user profile folder has no effect on its jump list results in the Start menu. I think that Windows 7 is probably keeping tabs on files that are opened/saved using Windows APIs. Also, there's about thirty files listed in Seamonkey's download manager, but only one file is listed in its jump list in the Start menu (and for the sake of testing, I removed the result in common from the download manager list, and it didn't affect the jump list result - I'll try to test it the other way around just to be sure), so I'm pretty sure there isn't a connection between the way that a particular program records its recent saved/opened files list and where Windows 7 gets its program-specific jump list results from.

I'm also fairly sure there isn't a connection with the old 'Recent items' list, being the way that Win95 and later recorded recently-opened documents, as I have a script that clears out results that I don't want/need from that list.

- edit -

I found this interesting, semi-related link which is jump-list related:
http://www.sevenforums.com/general-disc ... grams.html

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:07 pm

Can't you get the information about your past downloads from the Downloads window in Firefox?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

mikeymike
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:49 am

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:46 am

mikeymike wrote:

That's the post immediately above mine. I read that and I am still confused. That's why I asked. And I was trying to read your OP to see what you really want from this... :oops:
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

mikeymike
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:31 am

Ok, in Windows 7, jump lists are maintained by Windows for most file-opening programs. I wanted to know where Windows stores this information but I've since found it:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations

However, in true Windows style, the file names are gibberish unless anyone can figure them out, and so are the file contents. The 'semi-related forum post' that I included in one of my posts points out that if you want to find out which jump list file to do things with, add an file to that jump list (by opening or saving a document in that program), then you'll notice in AutomaticDestinations that the file modify date for the relevant file has been updated to pretty much the current time. One suggestion was that if you would like to stop a particular program from maintaining a jump list, you can set its file in this folder to read-only.

However, I don't think that's the full story. Sometimes making the file read-only seems to disable the jump list (the jump list arrow is still present but floating the pointer over it doesn't open it), or deleting the file makes no difference.

These files are a real treasure-trove of information though - if someone tried to cover their tracks in a subtle way, they might selectively delete specific entries from a jump list by right-clicking on them, however they probably won't be aware that these files tell an awful lot about where they save documents. The one that affects OpenOffice Writer seems to also contain movie files that I've obviously not opened in OpenOffice. They're a bit bizarre.