Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

mikehodges2
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Dual Monitor Issues

Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:10 pm

Bought the system in my sig about a month ago. Loving it by the way, its quieter than the cooling fan in my bass amp :)

Anyway, I just hooked up a my old 17" monitor for some extra screen real estate, and have found a few issues. It's basically involving full screen things.

When playing CS:S, pull up the menu/console, mouse can move to the other screen, but clicking on anything minimizes CS. Irritating. Playing windowed gets around this, but I'd rather not do that..

Second thing I just found, watching streamed TV in full screen (BBC iPlayer), again clicking on the other screen pulls it out of full screen..so can't browse the web while catching up on the F1 (in full screen)...

Is there anything I can do?
Antec Sonata | P7P55D EVO | Core i5 760 | 2x2GB Patriot Viper 1600MHz | Gigabyte GTX460 1GB OC@850/2100 | EMU 1212M | Samsung F3 1TB | 250GB IDE | 24" Acer v243H

mikehodges2
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Re: Dual Monitor Issues

Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:45 pm

OK, bit of an update; Just tried Crysis, and when that is loaded in full screen it blanks the second monitor. As soon as it's windowed, the second one returns to windows.

I found out about Ultramon, but it only seems to be able to handle semi-basic tasks.

Is it possible to do something crazy like have an almost separate, second desktop environment (so when i click it, it doesnt pull the other out of screen), with its own 'proper' taskbar, as opposed to an extended single desktop? Without virtualization I guess, so I can still drag and drop windows between them, when I'm doing some heavy research that requires all the screen space I can get :-?

potatochobit
Gerbil Elite

Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:56 pm

is not possible

you should play your game in windowed mode but select a resolution that is the same size as one of your TVs
that way it looks like full screen but isnt

mikehodges2
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:25 am

Rubbish! But I thought that was probably the case!

Where's the "features I want added to Windows 8" list? :)