Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

Eversion
Gerbil
Topic Author

Case and PS Suggestions?

Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:02 pm

I've deceied to build my own computer, and plan to use the suggested Econobox (Alt) build
Processor Intel Core i3-530 $114.99
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3 $109.99
Memory Mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 $79.99
Graphics Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 $154.99
Storage Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB $89.99

and I now just need the Case and PS, but truthfully, I don't know what I'm looking for, anyone have any suggestions?
Relativity cheap if possible, I do have a small budget.

emorgoch
Gerbil Elite

Re: Case and PS Suggestions?

Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:43 pm

What are the features that you're looking for in the case? What size (mid-tower, mini-tower etc.), expandability (number of drive bays)? Is low noise a big concern? What about cosmetics (ie. lighting, glass windows, colour, etc.)?
As for the power supply, between 350W and 500W should be fine for that system. This assumes you won't use that PSU for a larger system at a later time. Do you care about modular cabling?
Finally, what is the budget number that you're looking at? I could make suggestions of anything between $60 for a combo case & PSU all the way up to $150 for each. The lower cost you go, the more features you give up, so give a ball park figure so we know where to start suggesting.
Intel i7 4790k @ stock, Asus Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac), 2x8GB Crucial DDR3 1600MHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB + 2TB Western Digital Black
Dell 2408WFP and Dell 2407WFP-HC for dual-24" goodness
Windows 10 64-bit

ryko
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:03 pm

for cases, it is all a matter of personal taste and budget really. for psu i like corsair, seasonic, antec... here are some to get you started.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811129042

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817139017

geekl33tgamer
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:49 pm

Firstly, your fairly new to TR, so on behalf of the TR regulars - Welcome 8)

You didn't specify an exact budget, but striking a happy balance between performance and price I got this case 2 weeks back for my new build:
http://www.zalman.com/ENG/product/Produ ... sp?idx=381

It's the Zalman Z7 Plus. I spent ages thinking whether I should get this or the tried and tested Antec 300 that was the same price. I finally settled on this because it's a little larger inside than the Antec, has more fans included as standard (and really quiet Zalman 120mm ones at that), and has that really nifty fan controller too, built into the side pannel. It's also got an anti-vibration base, hard drive mounts and motherboard stand-off's. I paid £44 for it - I would imagine you can get it for a price price your end just by swapping the £ for a $ symbol (Rather annoyingly!!!). It is a LOT of case for very little outlay.

On the PSU front, I would recommend this:
http://www.corsair.com/products/hx/default.aspx

Speciffically, the Corsair HX520 Modular PSU. I use the 620W version of this, and it's been brilliant (as far as PSU's go). It's very quiet, has excellent efficiency and is able to keep voltages on each 12V rail perfectly steady. Finally, being modular (You really dont want to save the extra £8 to get the non-modular version of this) means there is no cable clutter - And loads of un-necessary floppy drive and molex connectors hanging around.

It's 520W output will handle your build, with room for expansion down the line and being able to supply enough juice for overclocking. I don't quite agree with axeman on the PSU front though. For me, this is a part of your system where you really should not "cheap out". You will want a good quality PSU (Also consider Antec, Be Quiet!, Seasonic, OCZ, Zalman), that has solid parts and won't expire in a cloud of smoke - It's the only part that gives your PC it's power and regulates the voltages. If it fails, it could take some of your system componants with it. I picked up the HX620 for £71, so I expect the 520W version will be a touch cheaper.

Hope this is of some help.
Mega Beast - Intel i7 4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK | 32GB DDR3 | SLI GTX 1070 | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Mini Beast - Intel C2E QX9770 | Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 | 16GB DDR3 | KFA2 LP GTX 750Ti | Seagate 2TB SSHD

geekl33tgamer
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:23 pm

axeman wrote:
You're buying into the "you need an uber PSU" nonsense. You just need one of decent quality. Even if he overclocks the snot out of that rig, it will never draw anywhere close to 520 watts.

Im sure many will agree, but I have had system cases in the past that come with PSU's included from companies names I could never pronounce. I used to think they were ok - Until one years back went a little wrong and cooked my old P4 3.4Ghz Prescott CPU (Some might say that was a blessing - It was a S478 Toaster!!!). As a result, I have only ever bought CPU's from brands that are known, and get good reviews.

I dont think the Corsair HX range is in the "Uber PSU" class - It's priced in the mid-range, as are it's features. Corsair have a top range above the HX, and other companies like Seasonic and Be Quiet! really are in another league when it comes to prices - But I don't know what the OP is prepaired to spend. For me, the £60 (You can prolly get them for $60-70 over that side of the pond) is not a lot for a system part that could last a few upgrade cycles, and has proven reliability and low failure rates.

I'm also sure many will agree with my view! Think we should agree to disagree :wink:
Mega Beast - Intel i7 4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK | 32GB DDR3 | SLI GTX 1070 | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Mini Beast - Intel C2E QX9770 | Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 | 16GB DDR3 | KFA2 LP GTX 750Ti | Seagate 2TB SSHD

Eversion
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:13 pm

Thanks for all the input guys!
I went with the Antec case and the Cosair 420W PS suggested earlier because they are relatively in my budget, and the 420W should be fine for the computer.
One question though, does the case come with a CD-Rom reader, or do I have to buy one separably? If so, could someone suggest a decent one? :P

geekl33tgamer
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:21 pm

Eversion wrote:
I went with the Antec case and the Cosair 420W PS suggested earlier because they are relatively in my budget, and the 420W should be fine for the computer.
One question though, does the case come with a CD-Rom reader, or do I have to buy one separably? If so, could someone suggest a decent one? :P

Cases very rarely include them, and that Antec one does not. You'll want a DVD-RW these days, or if you can stretch to it a Blu-Ray ROM. Sony, LG, Lite-On and Samsung pretty much make up 99% of all internal optical drives on the market, and none of them are particularly bad. Just make sure it's an SATA one.

Typically, a DVD-RW here is £14 (Samsung SH-S223C: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... subcat=951)
And you can get a Blu-Ray ROM / DVD-RW Drive at £46 (Samsung SH-B083L: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... subcat=314)

You can probably get them for similar prices over there with a $ symbol in front if you shop around. The £30 upgrade to get Blu-Ray might be worth it if you think you will use it, otherwise save the extra for another day...
Last edited by geekl33tgamer on Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:22 pm

Eversion wrote:

Instead of just reading the Econobox alternatives page, read the "main" Econobox page it has all the suggestions that you need (except OS, monitor, keyboard, and mouse - those are on another page of the guide). I think the Antec 300 and EarthWatts 380W are excellent choices.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Eversion
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:36 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
Eversion wrote:

Instead of just reading the Econobox alternatives page, read the "main" Econobox page it has all the suggestions that you need (except OS, monitor, keyboard, and mouse - those are on another page of the guide). I think the Antec 300 and EarthWatts 380W are excellent choices.

I'm still going with the 420W, since on newegg.ca (I live in Canada) the EarthWatts 380W costs 59.99, where as the Cosair 420W is $49.94

axeman wrote:
DVD-RW drives have become pretty much commodity items, I'd buy whichever one was on sale usually. The technology is mature, in that there isn't much change in the technology in a few years now, unless you're going BD, that's a different story. Out of curiosity, I was checking the specs on an old IDE drive I'm using in one system, it's shocking how little has changed in the last 5 years, so if you're really cheap like me, if you can scavenge an old one, do that, although you probably don't want IDE ;)
Haha, thanks for the tip ;)

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:53 pm

I like this thread in this forum. In order to keep it here and not in System Builders Anonymous, this thread needs to stay on topic with case and power supply discussion.

Thanks,

Sam

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:29 pm

Eversion wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:
Eversion wrote:

I'm still going with the 420W, since on newegg.ca (I live in Canada) the EarthWatts 380W costs 59.99, where as the Cosair 420W is $49.94

I would think a bit more about the choice of the Corsair CX430 unit (seems to match your description closest):
- Newegg.ca is not the only place you can shop in Canada. I find that often times it is overcharging.
- The CX430 outputs the same 12V amps as the EarthWatts Green 380W! It is also not 80+ certified. Seems like Corsair really cheaps out on this one.
- "Only" 2 years warranty.
- There are enough negative reviews on newegg that should give you some cause for concern.

If your budget is not as tight, then I would suggest the 430W EarthWatts for more 12V peace of mind. Of course, I would not try to cheap out too much on the PSU myself.

insulin_junkie72
Gerbil Elite

Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:04 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
I would think a bit more about the choice of the Corsair CX430 unit (seems to match your description closest):
- Newegg.ca is not the only place you can shop in Canada. I find that often times it is overcharging.

It's a decent enough cheapy PS. Picked one up on sale (came out to US $18AR, $38 shipped) a week or so ago for a family member's HP Pavilion (the HiPro PS it came with fried completely).

Reasonably heavy, good job on the sleeving, quite quiet. Solid, no-frills CWT entry-level unit.
Intel 4790K & Scythe Kotetsu | MSI Z97 PC Mate | 32GB DDR3L | Boot drive: Samsung 500GB 860EVO
Gigabyte GTX1060| Fractal Design R4 w/3x Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200 PWM | Corsair RM550x

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:37 pm

insulin_junkie72 wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:

It's a decent enough cheapy PS. Picked one up on sale (came out to US $18AR, $38 shipped) a week or so ago for a family member's HP Pavilion (the HiPro PS it came with fried completely).

Reasonably heavy, good job on the sleeving, quite quiet. Solid, no-frills CWT entry-level unit.

True. However, the 5770 and the gaming use (as stated in his other thread) makes me think 28A may not be comfortable enough.

FuturePastNow
Gerbil Elite

Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:59 pm

For a first-time computer build it's hard to go wrong with an Antec case+PSU combo. There's better, and cheaper, to be had, they look nice and the power supply will be more than good enough.

Here's a mATX case with PSU, since that's what your mobo it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129035

Of course, Corsair makes great power supplies and that's what I use now, though still with an Antec case.