Suggestions on a small atx case

Enclosures, modding, blowholes, and the power needed to run it all.

Moderators: Nemesis, SpotTheCat

Suggestions on a small atx case

Postposted on Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:24 pm

Hello fellow gerbals.I was thinking of putting a nice spare matx motherboard i have laying around to good use.Going to build a small form factor box around it to use in my room.I currently have the full size desktop listed in my sig, in here and to be blunt it's just to big and bulky for my limited space.The motherboard is a GA-H55M-S2H if your curious http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product ... 3310#sp.My question is mainly about the case right now i'm leaning towards this case. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811144110 I'm really digging the price, psu, and looks of it.Unfortunately i'd don't have much experience with small form factor cases and am not 100% sure what to look for.Which brings me to my question, what would be your opinions on this case?Is there any red flags in the layout i should be aware of or things i should be looking out for?Also a little weary of the brand never owned a apevia case.In the past i've almost exclusively bought cooler master or Antec cases.Also would it be worth it to drop the the extra $20 for this model?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811144144 Only difference i can see is the exterior design and the psu but is the extra power on the psu really worth it on a small form factor box??I doubt it i'll ever house any high end power hog components anyways? Also any personal recommendations on a case would be appreciated as well.

As for the rest of the components i'll probably be going with Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB drive and 4gigs of ram.Not sure on the cpu torn between a core i3 and just using the on board graphics, since i haven't been gaming much on pc lately.Or a i5-760 and nice cool, low powered 5 or 6xxx gpu or potentially a 460.
Amd Phenom 2 560(unlocked to 4 cores at 3.8ghz),xfx Radeon 6870 (ty again tr ^^ ),Cooler master haf case, 4gb of drr3 1600 ram, win7 ultimate 64bit
MrBojangles
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: Suggestions on a small atx case

Postposted on Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:47 pm

I own an X-QPack 2. I replaced the power supply with a Coursair HX 620 since I use the case for mobile gaming...so I do have fairly high end components in the case
(core 2 quad and a 460 GTX -- replacing an 8800GT). It is a decent case in terms of general use and how things fit together...initially at least.

After a couple of years of use, the case (which is vary thin aluminum) is warped to the point where it is a challenge to get the case surround on and off. I replaced the case fans as well for a combination of more quiet operation and better flow rate than the stock fans. The 2 has a 120mm and 80mm fan. The original has only the single 120mm exhaust fan. Given the cramped internals, the 80mm fan does make a difference. YMMV if you are not generating the heat of my system.

Depending on what your value of "small" it isn't all that small. It is much shorter than any stock tower case. But is quite wide. (Though not much wider than a mATX board itself.) It is about half again the size of something like a Shuttle G chassis.

If you aren't interested in gaming and can make do with integrated or LP graphics cards, then you might really want a slim case if you are interested in size.

All of that said, if you don't intent to move it around a lot (where the thin material becomes an issue with warping the case) and are not going to stress it with high end components, you could do a lot worse.
[SDG]Mantis
Gerbil XP

Return to Cases and Power Supplies