Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: World Of Warcraft

Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:01 pm

I suppose if I wanted to re-up, I'd have to actually buy WotLK before I could get Cataclysm, as I only have BC on my account. Is that true?
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:12 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
I suppose if I wanted to re-up, I'd have to actually buy WotLK before I could get Cataclysm, as I only have BC on my account. Is that true?

Yeah you do. I just looked at the prices and I am wondering why WOTLK hasnt dropped to 29.99 yet. BC dropped in price like 3 weeks out. I would hold out for at least this week to save 10 bucks, unless you have free time and you're going to jump in an level to 80.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:31 pm

i'm not buying anything til launch, and even then I'm not sure I want to spend $70 on expacs (if WotLK drops, otherwise $80) and then another $X for the sub. If I was active already and had WotLK, Cataclysm is a no-brainer. Otherwise, I dont' want to drop that much to just re-experience the new early level areas. I'm sure the re-make of the early stuff is great and all, though.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:49 pm

Well, even if you dont buy Cata, you still get the redone old world stuff, that is being permanently changed. You only need cata if you want the 80-85 stuffs. I am just happy BC finally dropped...I refused to pay $30 for my second account I barely play.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:02 pm

To anyone that's beaten the LK on heroic, did you find the 30% buff more helpful than harmful because of healing that needs done during an Infest? We've got the gear and the skill - We seem to wipe early in phase 2 usually after a second Valkyre is summoned. Our comp is 1 Arms, 1 Fury, 1 Disc, 1 Tree, 1 Resto Sham, 2 Hunters, 1 Shadow priest, 1 Pal (LK) tank, 1 DK (off tank).

I pull 13.5k+ DPS on single target LK as Fury (worldoflogs.com rules), I'm pretty sure we have the DPS to do it, we seem to lose our Offtank and from there we wipe. Our hunters are priority tranqshot the shamblers, we have the DK DnD the ghouls over every other set so he can carry the plague onto the last shambler that spawns into transition - I'm not sure what we're missing. Our dance in phase one feels very tight and controlled, seldom wipe unless someone DC's and gets shadow trapped.

We've pulled ~60 wipes on him so far I'd estimate.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:10 pm

SecretMaster wrote:
Speaking of alt-tabbing. I noticed Blizzard has gotten a lot stricter with alt-tabbing. If I take a flight path, alt-tab to check some things, it'll disconnect me when I land. Same thing for boats and instances. Slightly irritating but oh well.

Just noticed this; If you go into the video and change it to window:fullscreen it will play fullscreened and no longer crash when alt+tabbing. This works for me and I haven't had it happened since I made the switch.

drsauced
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:37 pm

steelcity_ballin wrote:
To anyone that's beaten the LK on heroic, did you find the 30% buff more helpful than harmful because of healing that needs done during an Infest? We've got the gear and the skill - We seem to wipe early in phase 2 usually after a second Valkyre is summoned. Our comp is 1 Arms, 1 Fury, 1 Disc, 1 Tree, 1 Resto Sham, 2 Hunters, 1 Shadow priest, 1 Pal (LK) tank, 1 DK (off tank).

I pull 13.5k+ DPS on single target LK as Fury (worldoflogs.com rules), I'm pretty sure we have the DPS to do it, we seem to lose our Offtank and from there we wipe. Our hunters are priority tranqshot the shamblers, we have the DK DnD the ghouls over every other set so he can carry the plague onto the last shambler that spawns into transition - I'm not sure what we're missing. Our dance in phase one feels very tight and controlled, seldom wipe unless someone DC's and gets shadow trapped.

We've pulled ~60 wipes on him so far I'd estimate.

I've been neglecting my resto shaman, so I read up on it. Then I stumble on quick tutorial on how to defeat LK:

http://lifeingroup5.com/Docs/LK_How_To.pdf

Then there's always the Tankspot.com tutorials on Youtube.
Calm seas never made a skilled mariner. But, sadly I'm an A's fan.

Sparticuse
Gerbil First Class

Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:38 pm

...did you find the 30% buff more helpful than harmful because of healing that needs done during an Infest?

The buff would provide only a benefit in this situation since HP AND heals are buffed by the exact same amount but the disease ticks for less (relatively speaking).

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:59 pm

The disease ticks for less as you said but because of the much larger health pools (patch and buff) the healer for the infest mechanics must healer a much larger amount of health to combat the debuff. The guide while amusing, completely unhelpful. Right now we just suspect that because of the path buffing the health pools with the larger 30% buff we're kinda screwed. Might just have to wait for some Cata blue-greens to pwn him.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:15 pm

Starfalcon wrote:
Well, even if you dont buy Cata, you still get the redone old world stuff, that is being permanently changed. You only need cata if you want the 80-85 stuffs. I am just happy BC finally dropped...I refused to pay $30 for my second account I barely play.

Oh, if that's the truth then forget it, I'll just resub. I never got anyone beyond 60, let alone the 70 cap of BC. Though I did enjoy playing a blood elf mage, so BC was worth it in that way.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:17 pm

Leveling is a piece of cake now - There are cross server/battlegroup/realm dungeon fingers (auto groups you into random dungeons or heroics if you're appropriately geared) as well as random pvp groupings that pop in mere minutes. They've take away a lot more of the grind that most vanilla folks were accustomed to. It's not uncommon at all to hit 80 inside a week if you're dedicated about it. There's also leveling gear that grants +exp but you can't get that until you're 80, it's bind on account so you can send it to other folks. Nice all around.

I did the invasion stuff tonight, pretty fun with hundreds of us defending TB and Org, then spanking the 4 mini bosses - gives out 251 ILevel gear, was nice to get some non-raiding guildies something to gloat about. :D

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:51 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Starfalcon wrote:

Oh, if that's the truth then forget it, I'll just resub. I never got anyone beyond 60, let alone the 70 cap of BC. Though I did enjoy playing a blood elf mage, so BC was worth it in that way.

but youre gonna want to play a worgen. Their story is pretty cool.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Sparticuse
Gerbil First Class

Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:08 am

...the healer for the infest mechanics must healer a much larger amount of health to combat the debuff.

Do you not understand how the buff works? It is a 30% buff to health... AND heals. If I have a have 1000 hp and a heal that does 500 HP healing, it takes two heals to get me from 0 to full. If i get the buff I now have 1300 health and a heal that does 650. It now takes me exactly the same number of heals to go from 0 to full. How is this bad for the healer?

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:28 pm

After playing off and on for several weeks with free trials, I resubbed my account last night. Holy crap, this is like a whole new game compared to the one that I stopped playing in January 2007.

I get a mount at 20 now instead of 40? Sweet.
PvP pops within minutes of joining the queue? awesome.
Leveling not so much of a grind? Word.

I figured at my current rate of playing just a few hours a week, I'll have an 80 in no time. Then my decision to buy BC, WotLK, and Cata all at once won't seem like such a bad idea. :)
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:44 pm

tanker27 wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
Starfalcon wrote:

but youre gonna want to play a worgen. Their story is pretty cool.

Meh, I gave up on playing WoW "for the story." Lorewise it was a pretty decent universe until BC was released, then it just went down the crapper. Personally I think the only reason why they put werewolves as a playable race was to appeal to the millions of adolescent teens out there who go "zomgz werewolves!!!!"

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:32 pm

I'm not an adolescent teen and still went zomgz werewolf! I actually think the story is interesting on them, although it would have made more sense, logically, to have both them and goblins as unaligned.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:55 am

I have been having this issue since 4.0 dropped and I cannot figure it out.

I am unable to see the loot roll window (need, greed, disenchant) during instances, raids, or any other time I am grouped.

I have completely wiped out my WTF folder, re-done every single addon.....etc. And I still cannot figure it out.

Anyone have any clues or ideas?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

elmopuddy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:19 am

What happens with no addons loaded at all?

Typically UI mods can cause this kind of misbehaviour.
Gamer - i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX1060, 950 PRO, 840EVO

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:36 am

/doh, I havent tried that.

Obviously I am sure that it will work. Now I what I need to do is track down the offending mod :-?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

WalkCMD
Gerbil First Class

Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:44 pm

203 pages but finally have read the entire thread in its...er...entirety. Pretty interesting to see how many people rage quit this game multiple times only to rejoin in 2 weeks or a month's time. I was thinking of getting into this game but I think I have thought better of that decision and will not. I will admit, it does sound like an addictive and enticing gameworld though.
Lenovo Y560 laptop, Intel i7 Q720 1.6 Ghz
ATi 5730 1 GB, 8 GB RAM DDR3, 500 GB 7200 RPM

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:47 pm

yep, I rage quit every so often, usually over pvp.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:09 pm

Ive gotten pissed off and such with the game over the years...mainly over my fail rolling skillz..But I get back on and keep going. I can say I never have ragequit at least, although many of my friends have. The game can be fun to play, although it really depends on how seriously you take things and let them get to you. The game is what you let it be to you, if you let it rule your emotions, it will make you time playing a lot more frustrating. Its not the game that is bad, its the people you interact with...and jerks can either be ignored or you can let them drive you insane.

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:14 pm

Main reasons I've seen people rage quit are... they're in poorly run guilds or their class was perceived as being nerfed (some nerfs are real, others not so much). Generally being nerfed makes people upset most in PvP. Typically I quit because I grow bored with it. It's a game that changes over time though so if you take a break and come back later there's new content to experience or some change that makes the game interesting again.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:49 pm

Yeah, I never rage-quit, I'd just quit for a few months. It's been about a year now, and by the sounds of it there's plenty of new stuff to explore just to re-up. Are the early-level changes in place yet? Or is that what happens when the Expac releases?

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:00 am

Those happen when patch 4.0.3a is released, currently live servers are on patch 4.0.3. 4.0.3a is suppose to be released next week, which I assume will be on Tuesday as is normal.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:40 pm

Well, sitting here waiting for Deathwing to get done shattering the world so I can play.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:42 pm

The patch is not the shattering, that specific event is supposed to happen sometimes between today when the servers come back up and Dec 7th. Would be strange to just log back into a world I don't recognize though. I've been doing straight PvP. I started an Arena team with my warrior, a hunter, and a Holy pally. I formally stopped raiding with my guild, possibly for good. I love them and they are good at what they do, it's just too much of an investment for me anymore. 4 hours and late nights is too much. No mas!

Bomber
Gerbil XP

Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:48 pm

Actually today is the shattering. Apparently the event ended with maintenance last night. I can't wait to log in this evening to a useless server...I mean play with the new zones! :D

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:57 pm

Argh, I wonder how that will affect my latest attempt to grind Exalted with Steamwheedle Cartel. I think some of the pirates were getting wiped out.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:53 pm

I logged into and Alt account on Battle.net and saw that you can upgrade existing active accounts for a discount:

Free to Reg WoW = $5

Reg WoW to BC = $5

BC to Wotlk = $10
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')