Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil
Topic Author

Does anyone else hate Windows 7 "Snap"?

Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:21 am

I hate Windows 7 "Snap". It just occurred to me that I can probably turn it off, and indeed, I can! Yay! But I'm moving my windows around all the time - usually to get to something behind them. I don't like having my windows full screen on either my 1600x1200 or 1900x1200 monitors (the latter at work). Anyway, I hate it, and I have turned it off. :lol:

Corrado
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Does anyone else hate Windows 7 "Snap"?

Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:34 am

To get to a window behind the one I'm in, I usually just alt-tab to that program.

EDIT:

Or control-tab if its within the same program.

SuperSpy

Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:59 am

It's one of my favorite features actually, but I run with windows maximized most of the time. Its super handy when you want to move a maximized window from one screen to the other.
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

Crayon Shin Chan

Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:01 am

To move a window to another monitor, press Win-Shift-arrow key. Very useful.
Mothership: FX-8350, 12GB DDR3, M5A99X EVO, MSI GTX 1070 Sea Hawk, Crucial MX500 500GB
Supply ship: [email protected], 12GB DDR3, M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
Corsair: Thinkpad X230

emorgoch
Gerbil Elite

Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:19 am

I have a love-hate relationship with snap. There are times when I use it, and other times it gets in the way. I feel like it's a good idea, it just needs a little more refinement, which will hopefully come with Win 8.
Intel i7 4790k @ stock, Asus Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac), 2x8GB Crucial DDR3 1600MHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB + 2TB Western Digital Black
Dell 2408WFP and Dell 2407WFP-HC for dual-24" goodness
Windows 10 64-bit

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:39 am

The only "Snap" mode that I do like is resizing the top of the window to the top of the screen makes the window go full-height. The rest is hateful but that's nice.

mikehodges2
Gerbil Elite

Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:00 am

axeman wrote:
I hate that the left and right edge "snap" to make the windows half screen only works at the far left and far right on dual monitors, seems a stupid design decision. Maybe it would be confusing for some users, so make it customizable...

To snap to one side, which borders a second screen; win key + arrow.

I love the feature, use it all the time. It's a great idea imo :)

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:25 pm

flip-mode wrote:
I hate Windows 7 "Snap". It just occurred to me that I can probably turn it off, and indeed, I can! Yay! But I'm moving my windows around all the time - usually to get to something behind them. I don't like having my windows full screen on either my 1600x1200 or 1900x1200 monitors (the latter at work). Anyway, I hate it, and I have turned it off. :lol:

Alt-tab or taskbar? If you hold down the keys while alt-tabbing or hover over the preview on the taskbar, Aero peek will kick in and help you out?

mikehodges2 wrote:
axeman wrote:
I hate that the left and right edge "snap" to make the windows half screen only works at the far left and far right on dual monitors, seems a stupid design decision. Maybe it would be confusing for some users, so make it customizable...

To snap to one side, which borders a second screen; win key + arrow.

I love the feature, use it all the time. It's a great idea imo :)
I use that all the time. When I have 2 documents open and I want to see them side by side, win+left and win+right. Then when I want to maximize it back (mostly on the laptop), win+up. Quick and "snappy". ;)
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:33 pm

Let's not forget WinKey + Tab and cycling through the windows or clicking the desired window with the mouse.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:43 pm

I love snap at work.
I always have so many damned windows open, and quickly tiling them to ideal locations on my monitors is great.
I've gotten very used to the shortcut keys, so I don't use the mouse for navigating through windows. Accidentally snapping windows when I don't want to doesn't come up much.

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:49 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
flip-mode wrote:

Alt-tab or taskbar? If you hold down the keys while alt-tabbing or hover over the preview on the taskbar, Aero peek will kick in and help you out?
I use both Alt+Tab and the taskbar. I think "flip 3d" is utterly disgusting and is a pathetic attempt at an Expose like feature. Heh, I don't use Window 7 "Libraries" at all either. I guess the only Windows 7 feature that I actually like and use is D3D 11. I like Windows 7 better than Window XP, but mostly because is feels more polished and looks prettier - not because of the features. Windows is dead to me. I use it because I don't have the option not to. Having said that, I don't think there is an OS that is clearly better than Windows 7. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

SuperSpy

Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:15 pm

Crayon Shin Chan wrote:

That leaves the window in it's normal state, not maximized.
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:23 pm

I love Snap. It's easily my favorite feature in Windows 7. It makes me far more productive and every OS I use on a regular basis I find some solution that is comparable because it's such a must have. I also think Libraries are handy though I've seen far less people use them, the concept seems a little odd to a lot of people.

l33t-g4m3r

Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:50 pm

I generally hate all of windows 7. Still using Vista. I swear microsoft is intentionally trying to force users to migrate to linux, and when that finally happens they will disappear forever. :wink:

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:13 pm

Skrying wrote:
I love Snap. It's easily my favorite feature in Windows 7. It makes me far more productive and every OS I use on a regular basis I find some solution that is comparable because it's such a must have. I also think Libraries are handy though I've seen far less people use them, the concept seems a little odd to a lot of people.

To me it isn't the concept but the process of setting it up. I don't even know the process. It's probably dead simple. But I already know where my files are and usually they're grouped together as they are for a reason. The only possible library that might be more than somewhat useful to me would be for photographs.

StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:34 pm

+1 for Snap. So useful in almost all situations to 1/2 screen something.

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:45 pm

StuG wrote:

Yeah, I should amend that it *can* be useful sometimes and my primary issue is unwanted snapping. It would be nice to be able to turn off mouse snapping and still have a key combo available.

FuturePastNow
Gerbil Elite

Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:47 pm

To get at a window that's hidden, I just hover over the taskbar icon and click on the thumbnail for that window.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:48 pm

flip-mode wrote:
Yeah, I should amend that it *can* be useful sometimes and my primary issue is unwanted snapping. It would be nice to be able to turn off mouse snapping and still have a key combo available.

That's a great idea, it's on the list.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:56 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:
flip-mode wrote:

That's a great idea, it's on the list.

Yeah, good point, users should just shut up and quit thinking about how something could be better. Maybe everyone should do that about everything. Yeah! :roll:

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:01 pm

flip-mode wrote:
Yeah, good point, users should just shut up and quit thinking about how something could be better. Maybe everyone should do that about everything. Yeah! :roll:

Indeed, because you're needs at this moment trumps everyone elses. This includes all the other people who at this very moment - on these series of pipes we call the Interweb - are complaining about a the same feature in a different way, a totally different feature, or some new feature never implemented.

In fact your idea at this very moment is a unique snowflake and has no doubt never been brought up before. So go grab yourself a nice cold Bud Light Mr. I hate Windows Vista R2 snap man.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:07 pm

flip-mode wrote:
StuG wrote:

I did find that I need to be a bit more careful with the mousing (so that it doesn't hit the edges), but the adjustment is not that tough so I decided to keep the feature.

My big problem is on the laptop where I sometimes mis-press the Windows key instead of the Alt key when I do Alt-left (browser back), but it is a minority use case that I know I should not optimize over.

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:38 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:
flip-mode wrote:

Indeed, because you're needs at this moment trumps everyone elses. This includes all the other people who at this very moment - on these series of pipes we call the Interweb - are complaining about a the same feature in a different way, a totally different feature, or some new feature never implemented.

In fact your idea at this very moment is a unique snowflake and has no doubt never been brought up before. So go grab yourself a nice cold Bud Light Mr. I hate Windows Vista R2 snap man.

Why are you in here crapping on the thread? All I'm doing is asking what other people think. Look at the thread title: "Does anyone else...." Do you see "Microsoft, please change this"? No. Take your self righteousness to another thread and get the hell out of this one.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:45 pm

All I'm doing is asking what other people think.

Except me apparently. :(

That's racist!

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:31 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:

That's racist!

You never gave your opinion about the feature. Your giving your opinion about the fact that I have an opinion about it, which is even more racist!

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:42 pm

flip-mode wrote:
Ryu Connor wrote:

That's racist!

You never gave your opinion about the feature. Your giving your opinion about the fact that I have an opinion about it, which is even more racist!

:lol: I think that is quite enough. Let's focus back on bitching or loving the feature.

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:12 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
:lol: I think that is quite enough. Let's focus back on bitching or loving the feature.
Good idea 8)

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:27 pm

I really like snap, but for me its dependent on the fact that I use a widescreen monitor and usually have alot on the screen at the same time. So double documents or windows side by side is usefull as heck.

SuperSpy wrote:
Crayon Shin Chan wrote:

That leaves the window in it's normal state, not maximized.
So, just continue with win+up to maximize.

Thrashdog
Gerbil XP

Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:08 pm

l33t-g4m3r wrote:
I generally hate all of windows 7. Still using Vista.

Are you trolling? This has to be a troll. :P

The snap is one of my favorite additions. It's great for looking at two documents side-by-side, or quickly assembling a bunch of windows into a non-overlapping setup so you can see and get to everything at once. I definitely miss it when I'm working on an older version.

mikehodges2
Gerbil Elite

Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:38 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
My big problem is on the laptop where I sometimes mis-press the Windows key instead of the Alt key when I do Alt-left (browser back), but it is a minority use case that I know I should not optimize over.

...if you hit win-key+right once, it'll move it back to where it was. Perfect :)