Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

I hate Coolermaster's PSU

Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:21 am

Bought GX 550 on 3rd November, got the delivery on 6th and it died on me on 21st (15 days). It's just dead, doesn't do anything...

I promise, i will never buy Coolermaster PSU again.

I don't know if i should take the pain and go get it RMA, i have just lost faith in their product.

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: I hate Coolermaster's PSU

Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:06 am

Sort of an over-reaction. Unless you RMA it and that one fails, too. Then feel free to lose all faith in them.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:16 am

Well, any brand can have an occasional dud. But that said, I guess I haven't been particularly impressed with Coolermaster's stuff in general -- it's not terrible, but not great either.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:18 am

No, feel free to lose faith immediately:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/11/ ... ply_review

I recall that some of Cooler Master's other PSUs are pretty decent, but that makes no difference to me as at this point I don't see any reason to buy a PSU from anyone other than Corsair, Seasonic, or, in the case of Antec if it comes with the case.

morphine
TR Staff

Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:21 am

Jigar wrote:
I don't know if i should take the pain and go get it RMA, i have just lost faith in their product.

Be smart and do the RMA.

If you don't do it, you will have lost whatever you spent on the PSU. If you get a new power supply, at least you got your money's worth.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:31 am

morphine wrote:
Jigar wrote:

Be smart and do the RMA.

If you don't do it, you will have lost whatever you spent on the PSU. If you get a new power supply, at least you got your money's worth.

Yeah, i think you are right, atleast GX 550 can be used as a back-up PSU. Thanks for the advice guys. :)

SuperSpy
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:53 am

I've had several Cooler Master PSUs go on me, mostly ones that come with their cases. I've sworn off using them and now order their cases (which are excellent) without PSUs.
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

insulin_junkie72
Gerbil Elite

Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:37 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Well, any brand can have an occasional dud. But that said, I guess I haven't been particularly impressed with Coolermaster's stuff in general -- it's not terrible, but not great either.

Coolermaster has some good PSUs, just not the GX line.

That's one of the problems with companies using different OEMs for different product lines, since they might be entirely different in terms of quality, and you can't go by brand alone (although companies like Seasonic that make their own are an exception, to a degree).
Intel 4790K & Scythe Kotetsu | MSI Z97 PC Mate | 32GB DDR3L | Boot drive: Samsung 500GB 860EVO
Gigabyte GTX1060| Fractal Design R4 w/3x Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200 PWM | Corsair RM550x

potatochobit
Gerbil Elite

Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:20 pm

coolermasters main business is not PSUs
if you think they only make horrible products you are misinformed
I don't think they have a higher PSU failure rate than thermaltake or XFX or any other similarly priced brand
it's sad that it failed and I can understand your disappointment
I know it might be hard to get parts where you live also
but the model you bought is one of the cheapy cheaps
Don'tcompare it to the golden apple corsair is, you need to compare it to others in it's class
in the world of PSUs you get what you pay for, literally.

of course, you should RMA it though
and if you dont want to to keep it then sell it off
btw, if your setup in your sig is correct you were probably running that little thing at close to max load constantly
I suggest you upgrade to 650w

morphine
TR Staff

Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:00 pm

potatochobit wrote:
but the model you bought is one of the cheapy cheaps

In his defense, the 650W version in Newegg is $70. Even if the 550W version only cost $50, that's definitely not what I'd call a "cheapy cheap". Those would be, IMO, $20-$25 at most. So while I wouldn't expect a $50 unit to work at maximum load for extended periods of time, I don't think that's what happened here.

I actually like Coolermaster as a company, but that [H] review showed that this line of PSUs simply isn't that good.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:28 pm

Well apparently the coolermaster GX-750 is made by Seventeam. and it's a fail lol
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?na ... y&reid=188

I find the best sites for PSU reviews are jonnyguru and hardware secrets, they test the ripple, and tear apart the psu and check out the internal components.
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

tejas84
Gerbil

Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:56 pm

Why the hate?

Coolermaster do make some decent PSU's.

Personally I swear by Corsair PSU's in my rigs as they have never let me down. Black Friday is upon us (I assume you live in the US) so bargains for PSU's are to be had!
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T|Gigabyte 870A-UD3|Corsair 4X2GB DDR3 1333|AMD Radeon 5870|WD 1TB |Pioneer DVD-RW|Corsair HX1000W PSU|Dell 3008WFP|Corsair H50

Intel Core i7 860|Gigabyte P55M-UD2|Nvidia GTX 295|Dell 3008WFP

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:02 pm

anotherengineer wrote:
Well apparently the coolermaster GX-750 is made by Seventeam. and it's a fail lol

Not an epic fail though; it still got a 7 out of 10. If not for the fact that they're marketing it as a 750W unit it would actually be pretty reasonable.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:06 pm

just brew it! wrote:
anotherengineer wrote:

Not an epic fail though; it still got a 7 out of 10. If not for the fact that they're marketing it as a 750W unit it would actually be pretty reasonable.

True not an epic fail but a fail none the less, if there was a 550W or 600W(max) sticker on it, then it would have been a pass.
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

ozymandias
Gerbil XP

Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:09 pm

The problem with coolermaster (, OCZ and thermaltake) PSUs is that the quality is not consistent. Those 3 brands all had very good PSUs, but also did some marketing tricks to get crappy ones sold for a high price. Best to check reviews before you buy any of them.

The only advantage you have, is that they are assumed to have at least a decent warranty.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:13 am

ozymandias wrote:
The problem with coolermaster (, OCZ and thermaltake) PSUs is that the quality is not consistent. Those 3 brands all had very good PSUs, but also did some marketing tricks to get crappy ones sold for a high price. Best to check reviews before you buy any of them.

Yup, tell me about it. A few years ago I bought several Thermaltake PSUs, based on there being a few people here on the forums who claimed to have had very good luck with them. They were absolute junk. All of them either died outright, or had weird stability issues (e.g. system randomly powering off for no reason). I see that some of their newer PSUs are getting pretty good reviews these days; but my past experience with them was so dismal that I'm still avoiding them on principle.

MrJP
Gerbil Elite

Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:58 am

potatochobit wrote:
btw, if your setup in your sig is correct you were probably running that little thing at close to max load constantly

Actually, his system is probably well below 350W. Here's a 5850 with a power-gobbling i7-965 pulling 281W at the wall, so around 230W from the PSU. Even allowing for the overclocking, with a Q6600 he won't be much over 300W. It's the massive over-estimation of PSU requirements that seems to lead a lot of people to buy cheap PSUs with over-optimistic ratings rather than something decent with a realistic rating in the first place.
i7-6700K ~ Asus Z170I Pro Gaming ~ 16GB Corsair DDR4-2400 ~ Radeon R9 Nano
Noctua NHU9S ~ Corsair Obsidian 250D ~ Corsair RM650X ~ Crucial MX100 512GB
SMSL M3 ~ Sennheiser HD555 ~ Logitech G500S/G910/G29 ~ LG 34UC79G

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:13 am

MrJP wrote:
potatochobit wrote:

Actually, his system is probably well below 350W. Here's a 5850 with a power-gobbling i7-965 pulling 281W at the wall, so around 230W from the PSU. Even allowing for the overclocking, with a Q6600 he won't be much over 300W. It's the massive over-estimation of PSU requirements that seems to lead a lot of people to buy cheap PSUs with over-optimistic ratings rather than something decent with a realistic rating in the first place.

Well, i would say, that's the only reason i went with 550 Watt PSU. I wanted to make sure that i don't max out my PSU, so the best thing is to keep atleast 100watt margin.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:21 pm

Jigar wrote:
MrJP wrote:

Well, i would say, that's the only reason i went with 550 Watt PSU. I wanted to make sure that i don't max out my PSU, so the best thing is to keep atleast 100watt margin.

Having some margin is a very good thing. But MrJP's point is that in reality, a reputable 450W unit may have more margin than a dodgy 600W one.

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:28 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Jigar wrote:
MrJP wrote:

Having some margin is a very good thing. But MrJP's point is that in reality, a reputable 450W unit may have more margin than a dodgy 600W one.

I used the PSU calculator and it said i would atleast need 500 Watts PSU.

Input were:
Q6600 @ 3.7 GHZ @ 1.45
2 HDD
1 HD 5850 @ 900 MHZ
1 Audio Card
1 DVD RW
6GB RAM

Approx Consumption estimated by calculator was 469 Watts...

middydj
Gerbil In Training

Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:46 am

just brew it! wrote:
ozymandias wrote:

Yup, tell me about it. A few years ago I bought several Thermaltake PSUs, based on there being a few people here on the forums who claimed to have had very good luck with them. They were absolute junk. All of them either died outright, or had weird stability issues (e.g. system randomly powering off for no reason). I see that some of their newer PSUs are getting pretty good reviews these days; but my past experience with them was so dismal that I'm still avoiding them on principle.

This reminds me me some of a guy over at DYI street that used too express how he hated TT psu's. I think i read before how they not to long ago did what you mentioned with the shady practice. My TT toughpower has stood the test of time though. Its going on 4 years for me soon and it has been nothing but rock solid with a lot of hardware and pc accessories thrown at it.

I think my next Psu will be a corsair or antec. But this puppy was the greatest for me running SLI set ups for a long time now.