Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

farmpuma
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Newegg sales lost due to rebates

Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:58 am

Four out of five of their black friday sale hardware items which I was interested in had stinkin rebates. They failed to sell four out of five items I wanted to buy.
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"

xtalentx
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: Newegg sales lost due to rebates

Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:23 am

I don't even factor rebates into the real cost of item. Instant rebate or GTFO.

kvndoom

Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:42 am

xtalentx wrote:

Werd. Soon as I get my 30 dollar rebate from SOYO that I sent for back in 2003, I'll believe in MIR's again.
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

mdk77777
Gerbil XP

Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:43 am

cyber Monday deals very weak at Newegg also.

Better deals every week of the year. :roll:

Heck, many prices higher than normal.

kc77
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:09 am

I'd have to agree. The prices didn't change much unless you were buying a kindle or a cheap computer case. Other than that the prices were the same as they were before BF.

I've actually moved over to tiger direct. New Egg's prices have gotten quite a bit higher than what can be had at other sites.
Core i7 920 @stock - 6GB OCZ Mem - Adaptec 5805 - 2 x Intel X25-M in RAID1 - 5 x Western Digital RE4 WD1003FBYX 1TB in RAID 6 - Nvidia GTX 460

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:39 am

mdk77777 wrote:
cyber Monday deals very weak at Newegg also.

Better deals every week of the year. :roll:

Heck, many prices higher than normal.

Near non-existent is what I'd call them. I get spammed 4-5 times A DAY with SUPER SECRET AWESOME MEGA DEAL emails from them; Not a SINGLE black friday advert.

mdk77777
Gerbil XP

Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:04 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty OC about price watching.
The Seasonic X 650 is a pretty good price at $119(has hit $109 in the past), but it is not part of the cyber Monday sale. (limited time, will be replaced by the Seasonic X 660 at $160+ once it is sold out.)

8 gig ddr3 1600 sets are back at $125-$150. (bought G-Skill at $99 on Saturday)

No move on vid cards at all.

While SSD keeps coming down, nothing stands out on sale today.

All in all, better to just wait for a real sale at Newegg. They just punted today. :roll:

potatochobit
Gerbil Elite

Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:45 pm

newegg didnt lose sales because they offered rebates
rebates are a traditional part of black friday and most people expect them

newegg lost sales this year and the reason is simple
the sale prices were insulting or the most useless garbage was at special price

it's sad, the only thing I bought this year was a TV and 100$ in cables to connect my macbook to that TV
I didnt buy anything from newegg though I had planned to give them half a thousand

dextrous
Gerbil Elite

Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:46 pm

kvndoom wrote:
Werd. Soon as I get my 30 dollar rebate from SOYO that I sent for back in 2003, I'll believe in MIR's again.

I called up Newegg about this (as did many others) and Newegg refunded the MIR amount. That's Newegg's customer service for you! This is one of the reasons I buy almost exclusively from the egg even though their prices aren't always the best like they used to be.
"I take sibling rivalry to the whole next level, if it doesn't require minor sugery or atleast a trip to the ER, you don't love her." - pete_roth
"Yeah, I see why you'd want a good gas whacker then." - VRock

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:32 pm

potatochobit wrote:
it's sad, the only thing I bought this year was a TV and 100$ in cables to connect my macbook to that TV
I didnt buy anything from newegg though I had planned to give them half a thousand

Err... $100 for that? A HDMI cable is $6~ and the dongle you need from Monoprice is $8.

potatochobit
Gerbil Elite

Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:59 pm

I have the original unibody macbook pro, so to get sound through HDMI I need the dongle with the integrated USB audio port
sure, I could have got everything cheaper online at like monoprice but I had to watch my internet TV the past weekend

kvndoom

Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:58 pm

axeman wrote:
I'm no fan of MIRs, but Soyo went bankrupt. Pretty unsurprising the MIR didn't come through. Now MIRs that never show up and the company is still in business, bitch about that. I actually have a bigger problem with the way (r)etailers advertise MIRs. They advertise the price as the purchase price minus the MIR.. um... no... You pay any taxes on the original %^$&*($%($%)$^#WHRE^%$(*$ PURCHASE PRICE. THIS PRACTICE SHOULD BE ILLEGAL. IT'S FLAT OUT FALSE ADVERTISING. PERIOD. I'M SURPRISED THERE HASN'T BEEN A CLASS ACTION ABOUT THIS. IIRC newegg doesn't actually do this, but lots of others do, including B&M stores. Now I'm not too sure, but I guess a lot of states don't have sales tax, so maybe that's why the problem isn't so obvious. WE SHOULD SUE THE LOT.

In other less nerd raging news, I'm currently waiting on two MIRs. The one from Antec better come, since their PSUs aren't worth the regular price at all. :evil:

All retail stores do this... even grocery stores do this with coupons. The coupon is subtracted from the total after it's added up and taxed. So a 1 dollar coupon on a 1 dollar item will still cost you 5 cents (in this state, anyway).

With mail-ins... you're paying the full price upfront, so that's what you get taxed on. The retailer can't reduce tax based on an assumption of future rebate.

And yeah Soyo went under... so does that mean they were using dud MIR's that they never intended to pay as an incentive to sell off their remaining stock? If so, that's worth bitching about. Regardless, I've learned my lesson.

The biggest crock about mail-ins is having to cut the UPC off the box. Once you do that, you can't return it to the store if it's a defective item, even if it's still within the store return/exchange period. It absolves the retailer of all responsibility for the product they sold you. Maybe some places will be an exception to this, but I know with most you are screwed. Again, I've learned my lesson. I tell people all the time not to buy based on rebates, and to ask themselves are they okay with boxing the item up and mailing it to BFE if it goes bad, just for the sake of getting a check in the mail.
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

Shining Arcanine
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:19 pm

xtalentx wrote:

Some rebates like the Cash Back at fatwallet.com are fairly automatic, as it comes from the kick backs that stores give to fatwallet.com for "referring you". Of course, stores never advertise them because they prefer not to give a percentage to some referrer. Newegg is one such store.

kvndoom wrote:
All retail stores do this... even grocery stores do this with coupons. The coupon is subtracted from the total after it's added up and taxed. So a 1 dollar coupon on a 1 dollar item will still cost you 5 cents (in this state, anyway).

In New York, coupons are deducted before taxes. I have never encountered a store that deducted them before taxes, unless the coupon is a gift card, which is done after tax. Verizon gave out $200 BestBuy gift cards a while back as part of a promotion advertising Verizon FIOS. I brought a $200 XBox 360 with it and had to pay tax.
Disclaimer: I over-analyze everything, so try not to be offended if I over-analyze something you wrote.