Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Droid headphone jack

Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:41 am

I've seen this mentioned on some other forums, but was curious to see of anyone else here has had this problem... I recently returned a Droid because the headphone jack was going bad; it was perfectly fine when I got the phone, but after four months or so I started hearing cracking and popping and it kept getting worse.

So I went to my local Verizon store and told them the problem and asked for a replacement - as an aside, they were great about it, basically just placed an order for a replacement without any hassle whatsoever.

However, when my new phone came I found that it's even worse than the first. You so much as touch the phone (or even move it while holding it at all) and the cracking and popping is constant. It's basically useless for listening to music - which is one of the main things I'd like to use it for.

I plan on replacing this one as well while the warranty is still active, but based on what I've read on various sites, this seems to be a common problem for the Droid. One guy went through five of them (and had a sixth in the mail) due to this same problem.

It's a shame - aside from this one issue, I have been very pleased with the Droid.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Droid headphone jack

Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:50 am

If you do enough "educated" complaining you can get them to either A. replace your phone with something similar or B. You can pay a small fee to get something else. You must be persistent though.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:04 pm

I'm gonna take the high road and recommend that you just get a stereo bluetooth headset. I don't normally recommend fixes for problems that cost money, or even effort since it might appear to lessen the manufacturers responsibility on the problem, but since you said you wanted to use it for music you might find the lack of wires more enjoyable anyway.

Edit picked one out for you
http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-S305-Blu ... 112&sr=8-1
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:18 pm

If a person enjoys music I doubt they'll want to downgrade from the numerous quality options that a 3.5mm jack offers to the limited range of not so great Bluetooth headphones.

ryko
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:20 pm

are you sure it's not your headphones instead of the jack? crackling and distortion usually indicates a broken or breaking wire on the headphone side. especially if you move it around and you get the crackling. for example i have an old pair of cheap headphones and when i bend or knock the wire near the 3.5mm plug i get distortion. so i would check with another set of speakers or headphones just to be sure.

other than that you could always try repairing it yourself by taking apart your phone. obviously this would void your warranty, etc...

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:28 pm

Skrying wrote:
If a person enjoys music I doubt they'll want to downgrade from the numerous quality options that a 3.5mm jack offers to the limited range of not so great Bluetooth headphones.

I was waiting for that thanks. Regardless of the quality options available, not questioning whether the phone can handle\properly use higher quality ones, most people use crappy buds anyway. Using bluetooth offers a better battery life for the phone as well compared to running drivers, as far as my experience goes. Keep your audiophile peeves to the pc headphones.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:02 pm

ryko wrote:
are you sure it's not your headphones instead of the jack? crackling and distortion usually indicates a broken or breaking wire on the headphone side. especially if you move it around and you get the crackling. for example i have an old pair of cheap headphones and when i bend or knock the wire near the 3.5mm plug i get distortion. so i would check with another set of speakers or headphones just to be sure.

Yeah, I've tried five different pairs, including a fairly nice pair of Sennheiser. It's definitely the jack.

Actually just came back from the Verizon store, they're sending me another one. Keeping fingers crossed that it works better :)

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:03 pm

DancinJack wrote:
If you do enough "educated" complaining you can get them to either A. replace your phone with something similar or B. You can pay a small fee to get something else. You must be persistent though.

I just ordered another replacement over lunch; if this one doesn't work, I'll definitely consider that option.