Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Capture One 6 gets OpenCL acceleration!

Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:28 am

OK, remember all the b*****ing about where all the Fusion/GPGPU/OpenCL/CUDA apps were?

Capture One 6 has OpenCL acceleration in its RAW processing engine! Woot!

Here's a demo video showing it working on a 60 MP (!) RAW file: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRCZ31B0aZs

I haven't used it before, but its users seem to be very happy with the UI and tools. This might actually draw me away from Lightroom 3.3...
Wind, Sand and Stars.

Corrado

Re: Capture One 6 gets OpenCL acceleration!

Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:57 am

I'm checking it out right now. Hopefully it runs well on a GeForce 330M/Core i5 combo

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:52 pm

Voldenuit wrote:
OK, remember all the b*****ing about where all the Fusion/GPGPU/OpenCL/CUDA apps were?

Capture One 6 has OpenCL acceleration in its RAW processing engine! Woot!

Here's a demo video showing it working on a 60 MP (!) RAW file: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRCZ31B0aZs

I haven't used it before, but its users seem to be very happy with the UI and tools. This might actually draw me away from Lightroom 3.3...

And for just $399... :o
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:11 pm

ludi wrote:

That's not particularly high or low.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:36 pm

mattsteg wrote:
ludi wrote:

That's not particularly high or low.

Well, not compared to e.g. PhotoShop CS5, which has an established reputation. Has anyone else around here used Capture One enough to comment on it?

Also, Voldenuit was suggesting he might upgrade from Lightroom ($249) to this ($399). That's quite a jump, especially if someone already has Lightroom and qualifies for upgrade pricing within the Adobe product family.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Voldenuit
Topic Author

Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:25 pm

ludi wrote:
Also, Voldenuit was suggesting he might upgrade from Lightroom ($249) to this ($399). That's quite a jump, especially if someone already has Lightroom and qualifies for upgrade pricing within the Adobe product family.

Capture One Express is $129, and also has OpenCL acceleration. Lightroom upgrade is $99. Definitely in the same ballpark. From what I can tell, they have similar feature sets (the PRO has support for things like tethered shooting, which I have no need for).

Lightroom's been slowing down for me. It's annoying enough that I've had to kill the process from time to time and restart it. 8 GB of RAM and 64-bit OS and Lightroom.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

Voldenuit
Topic Author

Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:37 am

OK, been trying out the trial version (30 days), seems pretty good so far. It's loading images faster than Lightroom 3.3, which has a penchant for stalling when loading views (although that could also be because it's got the whole 60 GB of my RAW folder in its database). The interface is different from LR, but reasonably intuitive, didn't take me long to get my legs at all.

Sadly, my 4870 isn't supported for OpenCL, but as I'm moving to a new build next month, is not a crucial factor in my decision process.

The noise engine is not as good as Lightroom 3, which does a great job of killing noise while preserving detail. Then again, I might get better at tweaking it after some practice, since I've been using LR for a couple of years and Capture One for only a few hours.

It's not as noob-friendly as LR when it comes to preset effects, which I've found to be a good way to get close to the effect I want to achieve. Unless I haven't found it yet. LR is good enough for me that I rarely have to dip into Photoshop, not sure if Capture One will fill that role for me.

Verdict: Interesting (so far).
Wind, Sand and Stars.

Voldenuit
Topic Author

Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:53 am

Oh, and another thing, the trial version lets you switch between Pro and Express, so you can check both out and decide if the $129 version is good enough for your needs or if you need to spring for the $399 Pro.

Nice. Very nice.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:05 pm

Huh, didn't see the "express" option when I browsed the website. I might have to grab that trial version and give it a run, then. My $55 Black Friday purchase of PSE9 is reasonably useful so far, but it's lacking in certain ways and I do have a recent Nvidia card that could be put to use.