Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Re: World Of Warcraft

Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:13 pm

Yeah. I don't have my old disc and I"m not spending 100 bucks to get back into it. If it goes on deep sale I probably would.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Sparticuse
Gerbil First Class

Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:08 pm

You don't need your old disks to re-up. If you have merged your account with bnet (which is required to play now) you can go to bnet and download the client. I haven't used a disk for WoW in years.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:08 pm

So I don't have to repurchase thema ll? I got rid of all my WoW stuff and uninstalled it.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

elmopuddy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:58 pm

you just need to re-sub, and if you wanted to start a fresh toon, you can just buy Cata when you hit 80. Will be a big download installing from scratch from web, but not terrible. Lots of changes, you'll probably be very happy :)
Gamer - i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX1060, 950 PRO, 840EVO

Sparticuse
Gerbil First Class

Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:05 pm

I actually had a similar scenario myself. I cancel my subscription about once ever 6-9 months just to help with burnout and one time when I re-upped I couldn't find my BC cd key so I figured I was screwed. After looking around online for a bit I stumbled across the downloader and discovered not only do you not need your cd key, you don't need your disks either. Once you enter a cd key into your computer and log in, they permanently attach it to your account and it is automatically included in your downloader.

The download service, btw, is super fast. I can have WoW installed and patched from nothing in about an hour. They have implemented staged downloads so it downloads as you play and prioritizes anything within your zone. It's pretty slick.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:07 pm

apparently my account had been hacked. Huh.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:05 pm

Well after a big dint of hard work managed to hit 85 on my main toon yesterday...ended up going without sleep for 36 hours to do so. Amazingly server first 85 managed to hit it after game had been up about 24 hours....

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:18 pm

I'm taking my time with this one. I have all weekend to hit 85 (currently 83), gotta get up and running for the 14th so I can PvP!

elmopuddy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:20 pm

Starfalcon wrote:
Well after a big dint of hard work managed to hit 85 on my main toon yesterday...ended up going without sleep for 36 hours to do so. Amazingly server first 85 managed to hit it after game had been up about 24 hours....

Its about 13-19 hours straight playtime.. world first dude did it in 5 though, there's a video up on MMO champion.

I'm halfway through 83, I was playing when my realm came back up at 330 am launch day, but have a bad cold so wasn't able to play right through to 85. My guid starts raiding again Jan 5, so I have some time to enjoy the lore and gear up.
Gamer - i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX1060, 950 PRO, 840EVO

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:12 am

Yeah there were some infinite spawning mobs that gave exp, so they just aoe farmed the heck out of them...blizz changed this after the fact so others couldnt do it. I am also sad about the deepholm ore nerf...I was happy when I got there and farmed a metric ton of ore..there was so much I had to go back to org to smelt it and send it to my alts. Think I ended up farming about 1k ore or so, sadly while levelign my BS I pretty much burned through everything I farmed and still need a ton more. The conversions from ore to bars is bad already, and most of the bars need to be converted again...its expensive as heck to get all the recipies from twilight hylands..lot of the recipies are 20 bars(40 ore), and 2 hardened elementium bars(also 40 ore and 8 vol earth) nad the expensive ones are 5 pyrite bars(20 pyrite ore)...just blizz's way to get all the early ore out of the system.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:49 am

So I am back amongst the living after holing up, leveling and gearing for heroics, mining, JCing, et al for a week its back to a normal schedule. (Dont worry I had some use or lose time at work)

Anyways the foray into Pugging into Heroics......its painful, very very painful.

What ever blizzard did to the healers, especially the druid healers need to be changed back. While the encounters themselves are challenging having the healer go OOM and Stay OOM because of no regen at all is ridiculous. Blizzard has failed at balancing this. The only healer right now that is ok is the Shaman, mana totem. Oh And that Healing Rain they do P-I-M-P.

And people need to learn CC again.....dang it, its not WOTLK its a new game use your skills instead of three buttons!
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Sparticuse
Gerbil First Class

Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:06 pm

The problem is not the healers. The problem is 1) people still aren't using CC 2) people aren't used to stepping out of small fires 3) people are still slightly undergeared.

Plus I would imagine a lot of healers are still too into the reflex mode of healing and can't stand seeing people that aren't topped off. Old school healers know if a dps (or even tank depending on the encounter) is at 50% they are fine. New healers see that and see a dead player so they spam heal.

Admittedly I haven't healed in cata yet, but it will be my second toon to 85 (my warrior hit 85 a couple days ago and I gotta say: heroic leap is sweet).

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:18 pm

DPS is lazy and refuses to even think about CC in the few dungeon runs I've done in Cata.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:42 pm

Ive run some heroics, and I have to say grim batol, shadowfang keep, and deadmines are the hardest ones Ive seen outside of BC heroics. Fortunately the group I was in was very on our CCs, so it went smoothly...although we did wipe in the multiple digits on most bosses until we got the fights figured out. Purples will help a lot, but the difficulty scale has def been ramped up quite a bit...pretty much after sleeping through any heroic but Hhor last exp.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:01 pm

Dude, Deadmines is hard. I'll drink to that. But it was hard in vanilla WoW (different, but still hard). Seems like it has been un-dumbed down. Haven't made it to Stockades yet but I would expect more of the same - hard.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:44 am

They need to fix Deepholm dammit. Ok so theres some sort of bug with NVidia (400 and 500 series) cards and deepholm where the zone causes lag, crashing, tearing and video drivers to stop working, etc, etc. Theres a large thread about it on the wow forums. Anyways the temporary solution was to for dx 11. So I did that. and it helped for all about 5 minutes. So back to the forums I go with my DIAG and experiences. Blizzard states that they are investigating it. Grrrrr

Meanwhile the zone is unplayable by me and a few others in my guild. And I NEED that zone. my shoulder enchant is from there. dammit!

Oh wait its hot fix day and nope no fix!!!!! :evil:

(This issue closely resembles the SCII issue that was killing cards)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:31 am

Ran Heroics last night. Healer going oom after 1.5 pulls. CC is an absolute must. Marking every mob is almost a must (to illustrate kill order) and the bosses are not a joke. Things hit hard, heals cost a lot. A word to the wise, running heroics with an all melee (sans healer) group is going to wipe you a lot more. Highly recommend you have at least 2 good CCers. We wiped about 5 times in Heroic Vortex Pinnacle. The last guy wasn't bad but some of the pulls were challenging, the second boss where you have the haste/slow is pretty tough. It was a lot more of a challenge than any content in some time; FWIW I was tanking in nearly all blues - 115K unbuffed. It's necessary to pop CDs through even trash pulls. Good stuff!

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:57 am

tanker27 wrote:
Can someone who extensively beta tested this game give their honest opnion? I want to try a new mmorpg but if this does not hold up then I guess it's back to SWG.

World of Wankers

I wouldn't touch that with a 10 ft pole.

Buy CSS it's far less drain on your life.

Edit - I think I seen FF11 with all the expansions on steam for like 10 bucks, but there's another game that is a second career. Most of the people I know that did play W0W pretty much moth balled it for Heros of Newerth.
Last edited by anotherengineer on Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:02 am

tanker27 wrote:
They need to fix Deepholm dammit. Ok so theres some sort of bug with NVidia (400 and 500 series) cards and deepholm where the zone causes lag, crashing, tearing and video drivers to stop working, etc, etc. Theres a large thread about it on the wow forums. Anyways the temporary solution was to for dx 11. So I did that. and it helped for all about 5 minutes. So back to the forums I go with my DIAG and experiences. Blizzard states that they are investigating it. Grrrrr

Meanwhile the zone is unplayable by me and a few others in my guild. And I NEED that zone. my shoulder enchant is from there. dammit!

Oh wait its hot fix day and nope no fix!!!!! :evil:

(This issue closely resembles the SCII issue that was killing cards)

Get a cheapy ATI card or other nvidia to hold you over??
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:36 pm

It's been a long time, but guys at work are talking WoW up again. Guess there's some good stuff going on. Worth getting back into it after a couple years away and NO toons, gold, etc left over?
Probably PUI. Definitely an كافر

Shining Arcanine
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:09 am

Looking for Knowledge wrote:
It's been a long time, but guys at work are talking WoW up again. Guess there's some good stuff going on. Worth getting back into it after a couple years away and NO toons, gold, etc left over?

I quit WoW in January of this year. I suggest that you stay away from it. Your time would be much better spent reading books at your local public library.
Disclaimer: I over-analyze everything, so try not to be offended if I over-analyze something you wrote.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:49 am

Shining Arcanine wrote:
I quit WoW in January of this year. I suggest that you stay away from it. Your time would be much better spent reading books at your local public library.

Thanks for the thread crap. Just because you dont like the game doesnt give you that right. FWIW I play, I raid, I work, I have a outside life, I read at least 2 books a month. Just because YOU cant handle your free time doesnt mean everyone else is LIKE YOU!

But thank you for your non informative post it was most appreciative.

Its hard to say. they have done some very wonderful things in Cata. But personally I couldnt bring myself to level another toon or pick one up at 60. why? the BC content is horrid against everything else. 60-68 would seem like such a grind in Outlands.

But if you really want to play dont let that deter you, the xp is accelerated in Outlands and I do believe Northrend now. As for leveling 1-60 the old world has been totally redone.

Its up to you.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:16 pm

apparenty my old account has been hacked and sold :( I might be able to get the toon back but I don't think I could get any of the other stuff back. So meh. :(

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:45 pm

I quit playing about a week before The Burning Crusade launched, only to start playing again around a month ago. I started from scratch so I could re-learn the ropes as well as be in a guild with some friends from work on a different server. To sum up my experience, I'm having a blast. As a fairly casual player, I might be able to squeeze in an hour or so there, with occasional 3+ hour sessions on the weekends. Like I said, I've only been playing for a month and have already leveled my Draenei Paladin up to level 53. So far, the game isn't nearly as much of a grind as it used to be. There have been a lot of changes made that make it easier for leveling your character to levels post vanilla WoW.

Changes that have made, IMO, a dramatic change for the better:

Mounts at level 20 instead of 40
Overhauled talent trees
Faction Tabards: Grants reputation towards your Exalted status with each faction
XP earned increased up to level 60(?)
Dual-speccing is now 10g
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

Sparticuse
Gerbil First Class

Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:34 pm

Has anyone else had issues with the average item level figure changing even when you haven't gotten any new gear? I ran my first heroic the other day (vortex is way cooler on heroic) and the moment I was done with that run, it would no longer let me que. It said I was 1 point shy of the average item level requirement.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:45 am

Sparticuse wrote:
Has anyone else had issues with the average item level figure changing even when you haven't gotten any new gear? I ran my first heroic the other day (vortex is way cooler on heroic) and the moment I was done with that run, it would no longer let me que. It said I was 1 point shy of the average item level requirement.

There have been some hot fix to adjust iLevels of gear. Its possible you got caught by one.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Sparticuse
Gerbil First Class

Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:35 pm

tanker27 wrote:
Sparticuse wrote:

There have been some hot fix to adjust iLevels of gear. Its possible you got caught by one.

I thought the hotfixes were to increase item level though. Plus it happened to me the next day too. I ran heroic SFK (that first boss is CRAZY hard) with my new guild and as soon as I left the dungeon at the end the game was telling me again that my AIL was 1 point short again. Luckily I got to revered with Therazane so I bought two 346 rings. I shouldn't have to deal with this again.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:00 pm

Can anyone confirm Stonecore normal is dropping the Winter Hats this year?

Ttocs
Gerbil Elite

Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:31 pm

Average Item Level calculates the average item level of the highest ilvl item for each slot that you are capable of equipping, whether it's equipped or in your bags/bank.

So, if you're a warrior and have a plate green ilvl 312 belt, but you got a blue mail 333 belt as a reward, then vendor the blue mail belt, it's going to go down. You can also game the system by buying rep items that you won't equip and leaving it in your bags.

First boss Heroic SFK isn't the hard one of the instance. After he asphyxiates he heals the raid with stay of execution - and it heals himself. Balance when you interrupt that ability with how much you want the group to be healed. Sub 20% (I think), he starts doing some crazy aoe and that's when it becomes a DPS burn. The third boss in that instance is the hard one, but when you have a fully heroic geared group he becomes a joke.

No better time. Old world is completely revamped, if you get bored of questing you can join an LFD queue (or queue for battlegrounds, which have also had their level brackets restructured). I wouldn't worry about gold. You'll be swimming in it pretty easily. Depending on when you last stopped, you get your ground mount at level 20, and talent trees have been completely reworked such that some classes that were a pain to level until very late (i.e., shadowpriests) get key abilities much earlier, which improve the leveling experience. There are still some balance issues at endgame, but nothing out of the ordinary for a new expansion. By the time you hit 85, most of them will have worked out.

Also, the new zones (I raced through them, hit 85 in about 22-23 hours /played having spent no time in the beta) are amazing as far as having a storyline (or storylines!) to tell.
Last edited by Ttocs on Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:37 pm

so if you have vendor trash gloves say, it tanks it. Gotcha