Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

TruePurple
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

SeaSonic X650- a awesome deal for a super efficient PSU

Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:20 pm

All the reviews for this product suggest its about one of the best PSU's you can get. Super efficient at low loads and high ones. Super quiet, its fan doesn't even kick in till a very high load is reached and then its barely audible. And its just as efficient at higher more likely case temperatures as it is at room temperature. Its modular like most high end PSU. And its a more reasonable size too, alot of the better PSU's come too high of wattage for most peoples needs. Tests show it to get like 100 wats or something more then rated if pushed.(can't be bothered to get exact number) Warranty is 5 years, some more expensive enermax PSUs(also very high end) come with a 7 year, but 5 is good too.
Here is one of many glowing reviews of it- http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/ ... view/837/1

And best of all, it's $96 at newegg right now, with free S&H. One can reasonably expect to pay nearly twice this price for such a high end PSU. It was the easiest purchase of all for the computer I am putting together.

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Re: SeaSonic X650- a awesome deal for a super efficient PSU

Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:32 pm

Hmm, what's the closest competitor? Something from Corsair made by Seasonic?

Regardless, thanks for the tip.

TruePurple
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:44 pm

The only other PSU I could find that matches this PSUs quality level while being a different creature, is the Enermax Modu87+, which can be got for like $200 with a $25 mail in rebate at newegg. Reviews at the previously mentioned review site say its more efficient at the low end of the power use spectrum, while the seasonic x series is more efficient in the middle.

I found this thread http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/vi ... hp?t=59797 that talked about how Corsair ax 750 is just a rebranded seasonic x-750,(like you alluded to) except that corsair has a 7 year warranty instead of 5. So we are theoretically talking about the same quality level as the seasonic x650. Of course all much more expensive(like $175-$200, no lower then $150 for sure), and then there's the fact that 650w is more then enough for most people as it is.
Last edited by TruePurple on Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.

mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite

Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:46 pm

It has been on slickdeals for a week and other deal sites. I am trying my best not to buy this baby. You simply can not beat this PSU.
To Start Press Any Key'. Where's the ANY key?
If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing
You know, boys, a nuclear reactor is a lot like a woman. You just have to read the manual and press the right buttons.

TruePurple
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:48 pm

Why are you trying not to buy it? Just absolutely have no use for more PSU for a real long time or something, donuts?

This was out of stock till just recently (came in on the 9th, I was worried I might end up having to wait awhile.)

mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite

Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:02 pm

TruePurple wrote:
Why are you trying not to buy it? Just absolutely have no use for more PSU for a real long time or something, donuts?

I am mainly trying not to buy it for two reasons:

1) I don't have the money
2) I have two spare PSU's that are just sitting idle at the moment, and both work perfectly fine. (Corsair TX650 and Corsair HX750) while my machine already has a similar PSU in it.

So against all my logic I probably will end up buying them and swapping my HX1000 for it and have that sit idle or something.
You know, boys, a nuclear reactor is a lot like a woman. You just have to read the manual and press the right buttons.

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:11 pm

Well, MD21, bring that spare shizzle to the bargain basement!

SomeOtherGeek
Gerbil First Class

Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:24 pm

Thanks! I just bought one.
A fact is a simple statement that everyone believes. It is innocent, unless found guilty. A hypothesis is a novel suggestion that no one wants to believe. It is guilty, until found effective.
Edward Teller

Shining Arcanine
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:45 pm

TruePurple wrote:
All the reviews for this product suggest its about one of the best PSU's you can get. Super efficient at low loads and high ones. Super quiet, its fan doesn't even kick in till a very high load is reached and then its barely audible. And its just as efficient at higher more likely case temperatures as it is at room temperature. Its modular like most high end PSU. And its a more reasonable size too, alot of the better PSU's come too high of wattage for most peoples needs. Tests show it to get like 100 wats or something more then rated if pushed.(can't be bothered to get exact number) Warranty is 5 years, some more expensive enermax PSUs(also very high end) come with a 7 year, but 5 is good too.
Here is one of many glowing reviews of it- http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/ ... view/837/1

And best of all, it's $96 at newegg right now, with free S&H. One can reasonably expect to pay nearly twice this price for such a high end PSU. It was the easiest purchase of all for the computer I am putting together.

Seasonic makes the best quality PSUs. Here is a review from the site I usually read for PSU information:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/Seasonic_X650

mmmmmdonuts21 wrote:
TruePurple wrote:

I am mainly trying not to buy it for two reasons:

1) I don't have the money
2) I have two spare PSU's that are just sitting idle at the moment, and both work perfectly fine. (Corsair TX650 and Corsair HX750) while my machine already has a similar PSU in it.

So against all my logic I probably will end up buying them and swapping my HX1000 for it and have that sit idle or something.

Why would you want this if you already have good PSUs? Are they noisy or something?
Disclaimer: I over-analyze everything, so try not to be offended if I over-analyze something you wrote.

mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite

Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:52 pm

Shining Arcanine wrote:
Why would you want this if you already have good PSUs? Are they noisy or something?

No. They are silent and work perfectly. I guess if any reason it would be to increase the efficiency, but in reality it is because I tend to buy computer parts when they are dirt cheap regardless if I need them or not at the moment. I guess I am just weak in the wallet.