Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Heroes of Newerth!

Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:41 pm

Any of you crazy nerds playing this game? Since DOTA 2 was announced, what do you think the likelyhood of survival is? I personally love it, and am a big predator lover. My account is sweatshop, and I'm the leader of clan "giantballs". any of you fools on there? Any one play it? if so, who do you use? what's your KDR and PSR, I've got a pretty active clan, and we're always looking for new players. Our only requirement is that you're not a dick. Oh, and we win pretty regularly too. I think i'm a 62% average, or something like that.

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: Heroes of Newerth!

Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:38 pm

WTF??? NOT ONE OF YOU GUYS PLAY THIS GAME ?!?!!??!!! WHAT'S GOING ON??

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:34 am

*Generalized personal attack removed*

Don't know how I missed this, but just because people don't play the same game as you is no reason to call them names.
Last edited by Hoser on Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed personal attack

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:09 pm

I haven't heard of it. What is DOTA2? Was there a DOTA1? KDR = Kill : Death? What is a PSR?
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:04 pm

TheEmrys wrote:
I haven't heard of it. What is DOTA2? Was there a DOTA1? KDR = Kill : Death? What is a PSR?

heroesofnewerth.com

dota 1 was "defence of the ancients" a warcraft 3 mod.

KDR you're right kill/death ratio.

Psr Public score rating

it's free for 10 games. let me know i'll hook you up bro.

ApockofFork
Gerbil First Class

Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:34 pm

League of Legends is where its at guys.
http://www.leagueoflegends.com

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:13 pm

ApockofFork wrote:
League of Legends is where its at guys.
http://www.leagueoflegends.com

nope. that game sucks. a lot.

h4x0rpenguin
Gerbil

Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:37 am

I'm gonna resurrect this thread because I'm thinking of buying HoN.

I was a HUGE HoN fan during the beta period, right up until the last day (xfire tells me I spent 511 hours playing HoN, an I'm quite sure I played a lot more than that). But will it survive after DOTA2 comes out? And what about Blizzard DotA (DotA on SC2) and all the other upcoming remakes (Tian online, etc)? I've seen LoL and I didn't like it. I was a DotA addict a few years ago and I want to play something that preserves that type of gameplay. Also not a fan of microtransactions if they provide any sort of advantage (AFAIU, LoL lets you 'buy' heroes which sometimes can't be picked).

@SSK: What's your PSR/KDR? I had a pretty crappy win% because I took a LONG time to get my form back so I had a ~30ish win % for a while. Eventually went up to ~60%. My KDR was pretty low because I always played tank. Between 1.1 - 1.3. And PSR was between 1570 and 1630. Although that was during the beta period. I dunno what the average PSR is now (back then, 1550-1600+ was considered good).

Oh and this free for 10 games thing is new to me. How does that work? Do I need an invite or can I just log back in with my beta account?

h4x0rpenguin
Gerbil

Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:05 pm

No one? :S Not even SSK?

Just in case there are some HoN players who just didn't see this, I'm gonna bump again.

I checked it out at a friends house and this HoN 2.0 business was a surprise. Apparently theres skins and coins and other LoL shenanigans? That's it right? You can't buy anything that gives you an edge in game, right? Otherwise bye bye HoN. And do the skins make huuge changes or is it just a small change? The one I saw was the female pyromancer model, which I'm ok with since I used to play DotA. But there aren't any skins that'll make me wonder who the heck the hero is, right?

Oh btw @SSK: I checked your profile out while I was there. 1451 PSR, 0.95 KDR, 30 Wins, 24 Losses IIRC. Not bad :) How much did you clock in during beta? I'm guessing you've played a lot more than that? No-stat matches? IIRC I reached level 15 or something during the beta, which equates to a metric assload of gametime.

So whaddya think? Should I gift myself HoN this Christmas?

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:09 pm

sorry bro, I didn't realize you'd posted here!

2.0 is pretty good. they've overhauled the matchmaking, and it's WAY better now.

The store is cosmetic only. skins, sounds, icons, etc. and you can earn coins by playing matchmaking games. so far it's good. I was skeptical at first, but a lot of the changes are sweet ass.

I do mostly play no stats games, as I usually play with some of my clan members, mostly my brothers, and they SUCK. so it works better that way. I started playing no stats recently, as before my bros got it, I was a 1.4/1 kdr. now look :( I used to be a 1650psr! I'm out of practice though, and I have been sucking pretty hard recently. My wife hates video games, and i'm whipped.

as for buying it? if you like the genre, i'd say for sure. A lot of the changes they've made put it miles ahead of dota. And with dota 2 being a direct clone, i'm not convinced it'll be better. It might have a larger player base, but that means jack to me. I don't see hon going anywhere anytime soon. there's always 20+ plus online, so it has a healthy player base.

so buy it. and let me know your account. You can join the men with the Giant balls. We're about 50ish. not a bad clanner. mostly guys who play for fun, and don't take it to seriously, though some of us are really quite good.

h4x0rpenguin
Gerbil

Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:04 pm

HoN is going for 10$! That's right, 1/3 of the regular price! Expires today (Boxing day), but I'm not sure which time zone. I strongly suggest you grab it if you liked DotA/Warcraft or are an RTS player who doesn't like micro-ing.

I grabbed it meself, but I'm having trouble registering 'cause of my beta account. Apparently beta account != trial account so I can't upgrade, and I can't use the e-mail address I used when registering my beta account. Waiting for HoN support to clear things up for me.

Anyways, I'll be joining you soon, SSK. Although I dunno if I'll be joining Giant Balls since there's already a 'clan' which is really just a way for Sri Lankan HoN players to find each other. I'll hang out in your clan lobby though. What servers do you guys play on though? The least ping I get is ~180-200 on SEA/JPN servers, and low 200s for NL/EU/DE servers. US servers can range from mid-200s to 350. 300+ is a bit annoying but I can play 200s without a problem. HoN's netcode is far better than WC3. 200 ping feels more responsive than DotA on LAN.

I was also thinking of putting up some of my old replays ( which work with the updated client :O ) to convince some gerbils to hop on, but I doubt anyone's going to DL the client just to watch some replays. They're better off going to HoNcast and streaming some.

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:36 pm

Well, add me anytime! sweatshop is my account, and we love sri lankens. more than ANYONE. SERIOUSLY. can you get me a visa? I'm easy. if that makes a difference.

StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:56 am

I own it, its pretty fun. Got it from the developers for free because they sponsor my College's Lan Club

h4x0rpenguin
Gerbil

Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:31 am

I added you, but I haven't seen you online at all since boxing day. What time do you play? And we ended up playing with some Greek dudes through the magic of match making and they'd never heard of Sri Lanka. Oh and I think I was banned from your clan channel for lurking :/

Also, I'm waaay out of form. My KDR is below 1 and I'm struggling to maintain a 1550 PSR :S Sigh. To make it worse, my friend who I used to routinely beat has played something like 1500 games since I stopped and hands my as to me whenever we play. Oh, and I _HATE_ matchmaking. There's an average of 2 leavers per match in all the matches I've played. My MMR is in the 1400 range :x

And StuG, what's your username? I'll add you. FWIW, South East Asia gets it free thanks to Garena. Sadly Sri Lanka didn't get any free HoN goodness >_>

Creech
Gerbil

Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:32 pm

I play HoN! So much fun. I'm not on too often due to boring things like work and I definitely suck at it, but it's such a fun game to play. My username is Creech, if you want to add me and play sometime.

h4x0rpenguin
Gerbil

Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:14 pm

Awesome. Add me (h4x0rpenguin).

I've played 174 games (+ a few nostats) since boxing day, Averaging 40 minutes per match, which is quite a lot O_O. I'm still stuck a tad below 1600 PSR and 1500 MMR; and my KD is horrible because I only tank (0.74 Public, 0.68 MM).

I still haven't been able to play with you SSK, since I've only ever seen you online in the mornings. And playing with newbies is WAAAAY better than playing with experienced players who happen to be douchebags. Buzz me for a game sometime, as long as you're not a douchebag :P

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:33 pm

I still say LoL is better - It's free and it's fun.

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:37 pm

Creech wrote:
I play HoN! So much fun. I'm not on too often due to boring things like work and I definitely suck at it, but it's such a fun game to play. My username is Creech, if you want to add me and play sometime.

done.

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:41 pm

steelcity_ballin wrote:

What's better about it? when i played it last, it didn't seem NEARLY as polished as hon. what iyo makes it better?

Creech
Gerbil

Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:03 pm

steelcity_ballin wrote:

LoL is good, but very different. To me it feels less involved than HoN, which is good in some ways and bad in others. The Champions don't feel quite as balanced and lot of the rounds I've played have been much more imbalanced than HoN rounds. Because of this, I can play a little more sloppily in LoL and do better than I do in HoN. But it also makes it so I don't get quite as much enjoyment out of playing a good round as I do in HoN.

Overall I like HoN better, especially with the new 2.0 patch updates. But LoL is still fun to play with friends.

Also, can't wait to try DotA2 when it comes out.

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:04 pm

just get your friends to buy hon. then you can join my clan.

emkubed
Gerbil Elder

Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:27 pm

Was looking at both LoL and HoN, wondering which I might get in to. Tried Demigod, which I enjoyed, but hardly anyone plays it after the horrible launch.

Instead, I'm playing SotIS, which is "DotA for StarCraft 2". It's been fun, but the DotA community is definitely still there...

The attitude of the majority of DotA-esque players keeps these sort of games strictly to LAN parties for me.

DoaT 2 being frog and Valve though, with Steam matchmaking, I'll definitely check it out.

Ttocs
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:19 am

I wouldn't really worry about DotA 2 in any form yet. It's likely a long ways away. Think "Valve Time".

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:53 pm

you sure want to try hon. if you want some invites, let me know. I can get you 10 free no stats games.