Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Re: UnitedGerbilNation's drive to the Top

Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:01 pm

MaxTheLimit wrote:
Damn these SMP things are big. Only 1 done and a second half way there on the i5 750.

But with 4 cores and the early return bonus, their point (and ppd) values are in the thousands! ;)
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:30 pm

I think our team's best writer(s) should slap together a plea for more folders, because we're going to be passed by another team in barely 2 weeks and then we'll be further behind the top 10 teams, and things don't look very good from there.

SomeOtherGeek
Gerbil First Class

Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:43 am

Ragnar Dan wrote:
I think our team's best writer(s) should slap together a plea for more folders, because we're going to be passed by another team in barely 2 weeks and then we'll be further behind the top 10 teams, and things don't look very good from there.

Yea, I noticed that too. Got a 580 chugging out 16K. Not a whole lot. Seriously thinking of getting another 580 or maybe that is overkill? A 570 would do? Sorry, I have been so long out of the loop. Got a job finally that is pulling in some income.
A fact is a simple statement that everyone believes. It is innocent, unless found guilty. A hypothesis is a novel suggestion that no one wants to believe. It is guilty, until found effective.
Edward Teller

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:05 am

While today wasn't near what yesterday was, it certainly is a better day than many before.
I'm gonna try to keep the i5 chuggin' along as much as possible....when I'm not using it for games :P

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:09 am

SomeOtherGeek wrote:
Ragnar Dan wrote:

Yea, I noticed that too. Got a 580 chugging out 16K. Not a whole lot. Seriously thinking of getting another 580 or maybe that is overkill? A 570 would do? Sorry, I have been so long out of the loop. Got a job finally that is pulling in some income.

I think the smaller cards are actually a better bang for the buck. The GTS450 I think is in the sweet spot right now. There's a thread about it somewhere.

If anyone needs the passkey for Big Adv WUs let me know.
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:31 am

SomeOtherGeek wrote:
Got a 580 chugging out 16K. Not a whole lot. Seriously thinking of getting another 580 or maybe that is overkill? A 570 would do? Sorry, I have been so long out of the loop. Got a job finally that is pulling in some income.
I assume you are talking about 16K ppd? Where have you been these past few months then? :P It sounds low or am I too out of reach about these things? Considering my GT 240 is doing 3K-4K, and what does a regular quad core CPU do nowadays, 8K? My 875K is doing 18-20K for the -bigadv at 130W TDP. The 580 seems a bit inefficient for its power consumption is it not?

Seriously, where is Jeffry? I hope he is ok...

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:07 pm

Last time I talked to him was when one of the 8800GTS cards died, but that was a couple months ago.

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author
Location: Menlo Park - just down the street from the F@H Servers!

Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:22 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
SomeOtherGeek wrote:
Got a 580 chugging out 16K. Not a whole lot. Seriously thinking of getting another 580 or maybe that is overkill? A 570 would do? Sorry, I have been so long out of the loop. Got a job finally that is pulling in some income.
I assume you are talking about 16K ppd? Where have you been these past few months then? :P It sounds low or am I too out of reach about these things? Considering my GT 240 is doing 3K-4K, and what does a regular quad core CPU do nowadays, 8K? My 875K is doing 18-20K for the -bigadv at 130W TDP. The 580 seems a bit inefficient for its power consumption is it not?

I am okay, no wait ....................I am really good. :wink:

I have dropped out of folding for now. Lot's of new blessings in my life. Got married a few months ago. Two new grandchildren born in the last 30 days. Moved again. :roll: Living closer to my children and more involved in their lives. All-in-all, life is good. I keep a watch on the forum and comment from time-to-time.

I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and hope that most of your Santa dreams come true. Here's a toast to an even better New year. :D
Join UGN's Drive to the Top!
UnitedGerbilNation wants you!!

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:27 pm

jeffry55 wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:
SomeOtherGeek wrote:

I am okay, no wait ....................I am really good. :wink:

I have dropped out of folding for now. Lot's of new blessings in my life. Got married a few months ago. Two new grandchildren born in the last 30 days. Moved again. :roll: Living closer to my children and more involved in their lives. All-in-all, life is good. I keep a watch on the forum and comment from time-to-time.

I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and hope that most of your Santa dreams come true. Here's a toast to an even better New year. :D

Good to hear from you Jeffry, Congrats on your marriage... Enjoy the new life that you have began... :)

Oh and Merry Christmas and Happy new year to you ...

SomeOtherGeek
Gerbil First Class

Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:56 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
SomeOtherGeek wrote:

No, I think it is 16K per WU. So about 16K every 2 hours or so. Is that bad? I have a GTX260 around. Need to upgrade the MB tho. Wanted to wait for the 2011 pin processor, but then I could be dreaming, huh? SB is nice, I would just like a like more oomph.

I know, I have been out of it for so long. Jeffry gave me some really nice toys to farm with, but they have since die little by little and then the MB just fried and I lost my job. It seems to be either all good or all bad! :D

Jeffry! Awesome! They are all truly blessings! Enjoy it as I know you will.
A fact is a simple statement that everyone believes. It is innocent, unless found guilty. A hypothesis is a novel suggestion that no one wants to believe. It is guilty, until found effective.
Edward Teller

SomeOtherGeek
Gerbil First Class

Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:04 pm

No, you guys are right it is 16K PPD. Not good. Need to add more toys.
Edward Teller

fuzzhead
Gerbil First Class

Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:45 pm

Jeffery,
Glad to hear from you that things are fine!

HO, HO!
Merry Christmas and a have NEW YEAR!

Fuzzhead

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:17 pm

SPIKE!
you again ff?

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:26 pm

MaxTheLimit wrote:
SPIKE!
you again ff?

More than 3 days!! This is how big those -bigadv WUs are, 60k points translating to ~20k ppd! :o

I am stopping that for now, reverting to a regular A3 WU since I hope to take the system down for some work soon. According to HFM.net I am on track of doing "just" ~6000ppd for this WU, early return bonus considered. We just need another i7 owner to join the nation or someone go out and get one to chew on these -bigadv. We can get back to top 20 easy that way. :D

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:53 am

No i7's up on boxing day at CC. We'll see what NCIX has to offer when they update their link...

EDIT: Actually there is one i7 up there now. 260 bucks for the 950

fuzzhead
Gerbil First Class

Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:47 pm

You gerbils still have a thread after Jpinto and I crushed you?

Step it up!

Fuzzhead

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:49 pm

*grumbles*
It seems I had a bit of a crash on the folding node yesterday. My internet and power are making things frustrating.
At least this cold weather means a nice quiet folding node....maybe a little too quiet. I have trouble sleeping when it's not humming away in my room.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:13 pm

We've been passed by, and now we're merely a former contender. 'Tis a shame.

My CoGage True Spirit HS, btw, still awaits installation. Its so darned dim in the evenings that I have to wait for a weekend to do it, or bring in more lighting, anyway.

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:31 pm

Internet connection is down at home again.
Should have it back and running by midnight tonight.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:41 pm

Someone just sent in a big one, 10K update at 12pm! :D

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:46 pm

Sweet. Any new folders for the ugn giving us the little boost the past couple days?

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:39 pm

MaxTheLimit wrote:
Sweet. Any new folders for the ugn giving us the little boost the past couple days?

I still have parts to make folding nodes. Any TR Folders interested? I have a MB, CPU, memory, a power supply and several NVidia Video cards available, including a couple of 9800GX2s. Here's a good way to start your folding addiction! Free parts, you pay the shipping. :P

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:39 pm

While I'm not particularly interested in helping UGN, if you have a C2D-compatible motherboard, I might be interested in buying it. Depending on what it can do, I'll use it for my C2D 6400 or C2Q 8400 processor (which is already running on a Gigabyte P965 board), and take my pokey dual core Athlon out of service. Should increase my output somewhat.

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:17 pm

Ragnar Dan wrote:
While I'm not particularly interested in helping UGN, if you have a C2D-compatible motherboard, I might be interested in buying it. Depending on what it can do, I'll use it for my C2D 6400 or C2Q 8400 processor (which is already running on a Gigabyte P965 board), and take my pokey dual core Athlon out of service. Should increase my output somewhat.

Okay Ragnar, I will check my excess parts to see what I have. :D

Hey, I just finished a book about the Danes invading England in 970 A.D. and one of the lead characters was named Ragnar. Fancy that! :wink: Are you a Dane? :o

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:05 am

jeffry55 wrote:
Okay Ragnar, I will check my excess parts to see what I have. :D

Hey, I just finished a book about the Danes invading England in 970 A.D. and one of the lead characters was named Ragnar. Fancy that! :wink: Are you a Dane? :o
Sounds good.

I'm not Danish, though I do have Swiss, German and English ancestry. I took that name from a character in a well-known book when I was in a sour mood around 20 years ago, and it sort of stuck.

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:03 pm

May have noticed the points are down the past few days. My node is down now. I will be mailing it out as soon as I can. May be a little while though. The new floors are down in almost every room, and what used to be my office is now painted...*sigh*....pink.

Next comes the basement, then the cabinets and counters. It has kept me quite busy, but once things get a bit closer to done I will be sending the node off. The UGN will be back. Many thanks to Chun¢ for offering up his cool basement. :)

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:29 pm

My monitoring apps are showing me I am doing ~7K ppd across my nodes. So me == UGN these days? :o :-? :cry:

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:38 pm

Sorry to leave you on your own FlyingFox. Once my node is delivered, and the other node Jeffry is sending out is delivered, the UGN should see a massive resurgence. Just wish I could participate longer. :(

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:27 pm

The node is on it's way. Hope it helps the UGN when it arrives.