iPhone on Verizon about dang time

From OSX to iPods, iTunes to Mac Minis, and all other things Apple.

Moderators: David, Thresher

iPhone on Verizon about dang time

Postposted on Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:52 am

Well looks like 2-10-11 is the day http://www.apple.com/ finally :D
Hance
Darth Gerbil
 
Posts: 7627
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:58 pm
Location: Grace Idaho

Re: iPhone on Verizon about dang time

Postposted on Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:25 pm

I thought it was earlier in February. I wonder how many Verizon customers will actually switch to iPhone from their current phones and/or Android.
Laptop: HP Pavilion 17-e016dx. AMD A8-5550M, 4GB RAM, 750GB HDD, AMD Radeon HD 8550G integrated video, 17.3" display, 1600*900 (HD+) resolution, SD card reader, Windows 8.1 (DL Classic Shell)
riviera74
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 864
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 6:14 am
Location: FM, FL, USA

Re: iPhone on Verizon about dang time

Postposted on Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:35 pm

Never thought I'd see the day the iPhone would appear on any other carrier but AT&T. LMAO!
Intel C2Q Q8300 2.5GHz | Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R | 8GB DDR2 800 | MSI ATI Radeon HD5770 1GB | AOpen G325 Aeolus

PSN ID: MentalReaper
Steam ID: dstrb3d
ReAp3r-G
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 747
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:18 pm
Location: University at Buffalo, Buffalo NY

Re: iPhone on Verizon about dang time

Postposted on Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:43 pm

That's because Iphone 4 sucks and the new Android phones are kicking butt.
StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1459
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 11:19 pm
Location: Florida

Re: iPhone on Verizon about dang time

Postposted on Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:59 pm

riviera74 wrote:I thought it was earlier in February. I wonder how many Verizon customers will actually switch to iPhone from their current phones and/or Android.


I will make the change. I have a blackberry now along with an ipod touch. With the iphone I can carry just one device with me.
Hance
Darth Gerbil
 
Posts: 7627
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:58 pm
Location: Grace Idaho

Re: iPhone on Verizon about dang time

Postposted on Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:10 pm

riviera74 wrote:I thought it was earlier in February. I wonder how many Verizon customers will actually switch to iPhone from their current phones and/or Android.


Its still a status symbol for many. And there are plenty of Mac fans that have stayed with Verizon. I'm sure Apple has studied this to ensure that there will be demand.
Sony a7
Sony Zeiss 55/1.8 SSM, 24-70/4 SSM
Minolta 17-35/2.8-4 D, 100-300 APO, 100/2, 500/8
TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 2171
Joined: Wed May 29, 2002 8:22 pm
Location: Northern Colorado

Re: iPhone on Verizon about dang time

Postposted on Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:38 pm

Hance wrote:
riviera74 wrote:I thought it was earlier in February. I wonder how many Verizon customers will actually switch to iPhone from their current phones and/or Android.


I will make the change. I have a blackberry now along with an ipod touch. With the iphone I can carry just one device with me.


Hance, there is no need to change the announcement when Apple itself says February 10th.
Laptop: HP Pavilion 17-e016dx. AMD A8-5550M, 4GB RAM, 750GB HDD, AMD Radeon HD 8550G integrated video, 17.3" display, 1600*900 (HD+) resolution, SD card reader, Windows 8.1 (DL Classic Shell)
riviera74
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 864
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 6:14 am
Location: FM, FL, USA

Re: iPhone on Verizon about dang time

Postposted on Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:41 pm

Meh. CDMA means slow 3G, no simultaneous voice/data, and Verizon's data plans are more expensive. No real interest other than the mobile hotspot option, but I have a Verizon MiFi already and its borderline too slow at ~ 800kbit/sec. With my Jailbroken iPhone 4 on AT&T using MyWi, I get 3.5-4mbit/sec.

If you're married to Verizon, good option, but its semi-lackluster compared to the AT&T/GSM version.
Having twins has dramatically reduced the time I have to nerd out.
Corrado
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2568
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Gilbertsville, PA

Re: iPhone on Verizon about dang time

Postposted on Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:55 pm

riviera74 wrote:
Hance wrote:
riviera74 wrote:I thought it was earlier in February. I wonder how many Verizon customers will actually switch to iPhone from their current phones and/or Android.


I will make the change. I have a blackberry now along with an ipod touch. With the iphone I can carry just one device with me.


Hance, there is no need to change the announcement when Apple itself says February 10th.


You need to read more carefully. I will change to iPhone not change the announcement. I am the one that started the thread after all :wink:


Corrado wrote:Meh. CDMA means slow 3G, no simultaneous voice/data, and Verizon's data plans are more expensive. No real interest other than the mobile hotspot option, but I have a Verizon MiFi already and its borderline too slow at ~ 800kbit/sec. With my Jailbroken iPhone 4 on AT&T using MyWi, I get 3.5-4mbit/sec.

If you're married to Verizon, good option, but its semi-lackluster compared to the AT&T/GSM version.


Depends on where you live and what you do. I travel a lot for work and AT&T's coverage sucks compared to Verizon out here in the west.
Hance
Darth Gerbil
 
Posts: 7627
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:58 pm
Location: Grace Idaho

Re: iPhone on Verizon about dang time

Postposted on Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:40 pm

Corrado wrote:Meh. CDMA means slow 3G, no simultaneous voice/data, and Verizon's data plans are more expensive. No real interest other than the mobile hotspot option, but I have a Verizon MiFi already and its borderline too slow at ~ 800kbit/sec. With my Jailbroken iPhone 4 on AT&T using MyWi, I get 3.5-4mbit/sec.

If you're married to Verizon, good option, but its semi-lackluster compared to the AT&T/GSM version.


I'm not disagreeing with you, but I don't really think the EV-DO revA stuff is that slow. CDMA is definitely needing to go. I guess it's good their LTE network should be completed by the end of 2012. I also never understood the big hoopla about simultaneous voice/data. I mean, I just can't think of too many times I need to use data while on a phone call. Again, solved by the LTE stuff. What do you mean VZW's data plans are more expensive?

VZW - $15/150MB or $30/Unlimited
AT&T - $15/200MB or $25/2GB

I guess you could say they're more expensive, but there are trade-offs I suppose. I for one have a $15/150MB plan for my Android phone and can't imagine needing anything over the 2GB that att would offer. If you want the choice of unlimited though there is only one. I for one wouldn't swtich to AT&T though. I live in a decent sized city and even here coverage can be spotty.

Moral of the story: wait for an LTE iPhone if you want it on VZW I guess.
i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2048
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:21 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: iPhone on Verizon about dang time

Postposted on Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:41 pm

Well, Hance, you are correct on that one :oops: .

When you do get your CDMA iPhone on Verizon, please let us know how it works out for you. I have had my GSM iPhone (on AT&T, of course) for over two months now and I really like it.
Laptop: HP Pavilion 17-e016dx. AMD A8-5550M, 4GB RAM, 750GB HDD, AMD Radeon HD 8550G integrated video, 17.3" display, 1600*900 (HD+) resolution, SD card reader, Windows 8.1 (DL Classic Shell)
riviera74
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 864
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 6:14 am
Location: FM, FL, USA

Re: iPhone on Verizon about dang time

Postposted on Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:48 pm

DancinJack wrote:Moral of the story: wait for an LTE iPhone if you want it on VZW I guess.

Verizon won't be offering unlimited LTE, and looks to charge $80/month for 10GB. When I need to tether the Droid, I can hit several GB in a hurry. I won't be leaving my 3G unlimited (fully unlimited) plan anytime soon.
Life is hard; but it's harder if you're stupid. Big Al.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 20310
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: iPhone on Verizon about dang time

Postposted on Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:52 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
DancinJack wrote:Moral of the story: wait for an LTE iPhone if you want it on VZW I guess.

Verizon won't be offering unlimited LTE, and looks to charge $80/month for 10GB. When I need to tether the Droid, I can hit several GB in a hurry. I won't be leaving my 3G unlimited (fully unlimited) plan anytime soon.


Well, those data rates were only quoted for the USB modems weren't they? So we don't really know if that's how they'll handle smartphone data. I understand though what you're saying though.

Mind if I ask what you use the tethering for? I've had the option on all my Blackberries and now on my Droid, but never really saw the need.
i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2048
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:21 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: iPhone on Verizon about dang time

Postposted on Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:57 pm

DancinJack wrote:I'm not disagreeing with you, but I don't really think the EV-DO revA stuff is that slow. CDMA is definitely needing to go. I guess it's good their LTE network should be completed by the end of 2012. I also never understood the big hoopla about simultaneous voice/data. I mean, I just can't think of too many times I need to use data while on a phone call. Again, solved by the LTE stuff. What do you mean VZW's data plans are more expensive?

VZW - $15/150MB or $30/Unlimited
AT&T - $15/200MB or $25/2GB

I guess you could say they're more expensive, but there are trade-offs I suppose. I for one have a $15/150MB plan for my Android phone and can't imagine needing anything over the 2GB that att would offer. If you want the choice of unlimited though there is only one. I for one wouldn't swtich to AT&T though. I live in a decent sized city and even here coverage can be spotty.

Moral of the story: wait for an LTE iPhone if you want it on VZW I guess.


Like I said, I have a MiFi with Verizon, and the MOST i've ever pulled is 1mbit. On average its around 750-800kbit. My iPhone, on 3G, will consistantly pull over 3 and sometimes over 4mbit. Thats a HUGE difference. It goes from 'i can eek by' to 'short of gaming and HD video, this could be my every day net connection'.

LTE will only solve voice/data simultaneously in the short term with a separate battery hogging radio, much like the Evo 4G. LTE has ZERO provisions for voice in it. Its strictly data. The thought was that everyone would move to a sort of VOIP like setup over that LTE connection, but it hasn't worked at all for Vz out in the field for some reason or another. Works great in the Lab though! GSM, by nature, allows simultaneous voice/data. Its nice for looking up your google calendar, or getting email while you're on a conference call, looking up movie times while you're on the go talking to someone else about meeting up with them. Lots of scenarios it would work. Verizon's 'unlimited' data is really 5gb anyways, just like everyone else.

Im not pooh poohing choice, Verizon has the most reliable network out there. For some people this will be great. But AT&T is not the barren wasteland that the nerds on the internet want you to believe it is. Just like the iPhone 4 antennagate issue isn't NEARLY as big of a problem as the internet wants you to think it is.

This is a bandaid at best. This phone is in no way shape or form 'better' than the AT&T version. Its meant for all the 'If the iPhone were on Verizon I'd buy one tomorrow!' sayers to man up and do what they've been saying they'd do for years. Its a cash grab before the LTE iPhone or iPhone 4GS or iPhone 5 or whatever is announced in June is available.


Insofar as LTE data on smartphones, Verizon has already stated that they are going to a tiered metered setup just like AT&T. Who wants to bet these magically line up dollar for dollar and byte for byte just like the voice plans do?

http://www.macworld.com/article/157071/ ... plans.html

The wireless industry needs REAL regulation because they're all greedy scumbags anyways.
Having twins has dramatically reduced the time I have to nerd out.
Corrado
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2568
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Gilbertsville, PA

Re: iPhone on Verizon about dang time

Postposted on Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:59 pm

DancinJack wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
DancinJack wrote:Moral of the story: wait for an LTE iPhone if you want it on VZW I guess.

Verizon won't be offering unlimited LTE, and looks to charge $80/month for 10GB. When I need to tether the Droid, I can hit several GB in a hurry. I won't be leaving my 3G unlimited (fully unlimited) plan anytime soon.


Well, those data rates were only quoted for the USB modems weren't they? So we don't really know if that's how they'll handle smartphone data. I understand though what you're saying though.

Mind if I ask what you use the tethering for? I've had the option on all my Blackberries and now on my Droid, but never really saw the need.



They've actually got BETTER plans for USB Modems/Mifis than they do for smart phones. You have 2 plans for smartphones. 150mb or 'unlmited' (5GB). For the modems you have 1GB ($20), 3GB ($30), 5GB ($50) and 10gb ($80). The 1GB plan can only be had with a Mifi purchase with/for an iPad however.
Having twins has dramatically reduced the time I have to nerd out.
Corrado
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2568
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Gilbertsville, PA

Re: iPhone on Verizon about dang time

Postposted on Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:02 pm

I think we agree on most things mate. Isn't AT&T going LTE as well though? So the GSM advantages will be null and void come a few years? It would be nice for simultaneous voice/data, but I guess until you've had it you don't really miss it.
i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2048
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:21 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: iPhone on Verizon about dang time

Postposted on Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:20 pm

DancinJack wrote:I think we agree on most things mate. Isn't AT&T going LTE as well though? So the GSM advantages will be null and void come a few years? It would be nice for simultaneous voice/data, but I guess until you've had it you don't really miss it.


Who is going to keep their phone from today for a few years? Essentially, every time a new iPhone is released, AT&T waives upgrade fees and you can get one for the current subsidized price. I had my 3GS for about 6 months when they let me upgrade to a 4 for $199 at launch. I'm doubting Verizon will let people do that. They are STICKLERS for upgrades. My father dropped his phone 3 weeks before his upgrade date and they refused to let him buy a new phone at the upgrade price.

AT&T is deploying HSPA+ as well as LTE to cover gaps. By the time AT&T deploys LTE, the voice over LTE will most likely have been solved. In the mean time, HSPA+ is good for up to 42mbit/sec (Judging by T-Mobiles claims). Thats plenty fast to use as a stop gap until you can roll out LTE fully and make sure it works properly and reliably.
Having twins has dramatically reduced the time I have to nerd out.
Corrado
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2568
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Gilbertsville, PA

Re: iPhone on Verizon about dang time

Postposted on Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:17 pm

Corrado wrote:
DancinJack wrote:I think we agree on most things mate. Isn't AT&T going LTE as well though? So the GSM advantages will be null and void come a few years? It would be nice for simultaneous voice/data, but I guess until you've had it you don't really miss it.


Who is going to keep their phone from today for a few years? Essentially, every time a new iPhone is released, AT&T waives upgrade fees and you can get one for the current subsidized price. I had my 3GS for about 6 months when they let me upgrade to a 4 for $199 at launch. I'm doubting Verizon will let people do that. They are STICKLERS for upgrades. My father dropped his phone 3 weeks before his upgrade date and they refused to let him buy a new phone at the upgrade price.

AT&T is deploying HSPA+ as well as LTE to cover gaps. By the time AT&T deploys LTE, the voice over LTE will most likely have been solved. In the mean time, HSPA+ is good for up to 42mbit/sec (Judging by T-Mobiles claims). Thats plenty fast to use as a stop gap until you can roll out LTE fully and make sure it works properly and reliably.


About the upgrade with your father... That sounds a little funny. I always have total equipment protection on my account though so getting a new phone if it's my fault is a non issue for me. It's worth the 8 bucks a month. I used to work for ATT wireless so I do know how things work considering upgrades and such, but I think you could have had the upgrade had you or he played it right. You can nearly always talk them into something. Just as soon as you have a phone, write down every single thing that goes wrong with your phone, dropped call or such. It's not that hard to get a cheap or sometimes even free phone from VZW. I just got a free Droid 1 because of the problems I had with my BB 8530. So I know it's possible.

Then again, some people might feel it's unethical to play them like that. Wireless phone companies here though do so much to take your money I don't feel bad doing it.
i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2048
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:21 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: iPhone on Verizon about dang time

Postposted on Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:47 pm

DancinJack wrote:Mind if I ask what you use the tethering for? I've had the option on all my Blackberries and now on my Droid, but never really saw the need.

I work in the field and need my work laptop to be on the 'Net in order to do my job. If I'm in a place where I can't find WiFi (our work laptops have crappy Wifi reception) and hasn't provided us a drop hooked to their internal network, tethering is my only choice. Even better, the app I use on the Droid allows me to act as a WiFi hotspot for my coworkers if needed.
Life is hard; but it's harder if you're stupid. Big Al.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 20310
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: iPhone on Verizon about dang time

Postposted on Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:55 pm

Corrado wrote:Like I said, I have a MiFi with Verizon, and the MOST i've ever pulled is 1mbit. On average its around 750-800kbit. My iPhone, on 3G, will consistantly pull over 3 and sometimes over 4mbit. Thats a HUGE difference. It goes from 'i can eek by' to 'short of gaming and HD video, this could be my every day net connection'.

As they say, it depends where you live. I have a one-hour commute to downtown Los Angeles every day during which I work on the train, and I get between 0 and 800kbps on my AT&T iPhone. I think I've seen it at 3Mbps before but that's nowhere that's useful for me.
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals
SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I
 
Posts: 6206
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:37 am

Re: iPhone on Verizon about dang time

Postposted on Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:16 pm

I was so excited to hear the news! I've been hanging on to my beat up LG flip phone because I had read all the Verizon iPhone rumors. I didn't want to cancel my contract to switch to AT&T. I can't wait until February!!
Best friends: My Mac, headphones , pizza, and World of Warcraft
MacAir25
Gerbil In Training
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:29 pm

Re: iPhone on Verizon about dang time

Postposted on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:00 am

My blackberry decided to just randomly die yesterday and I picked up an iPhone 4 today its freakin awesome :D
Hance
Darth Gerbil
 
Posts: 7627
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:58 pm
Location: Grace Idaho


Return to Apple Sanctuary

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest