Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

annabel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

I'm gonna buy a PS3 - questions

Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:40 pm

So, going to buy a PS3 and I have questions!

Should I get the 360gb one or do I just really not need that much memory?
Should I buy an HDMI cable?
Is it worth buying the Move stuff right now?
What games are must haves?

Plus anything else I should be thinking about...?

I usually ask the wee dude in the shop and make him just pick stuff for me (probably shouldn't do that) but I think price wise I might be better ordering online. So help needed please darlings :D
Are you a talkative member of TR? Would you like to converse with fellow TR members? Then this is just the thing for you!
server: irc.freenode.org channel: #techreport

bdwilcox
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: I'm gonna buy a PS3 - questions

Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:53 pm

The 360GB is hard drive space and is used to store game files (to make them load faster), to store game save files, to store movies/media and other stuff. If you're going for a lot of multimedia, go for the biggest drive you can afford.

The Move? I'd wait on that one. Not worth it right now.

HDMI cable? Absolutely if your TV/monitor has one. Since you're in the UK, I don't know who to recommend for the cable because here in the states we have MonoPrice.com which sells quality HDMI cables for a few dollars apiece. Don't spend more than 10 pounds for a decent HDMI cable or you're getting ripped off.

Must have games? I only buy console exclusive games that I can't buy for the PC, so my recommendations are a bit skewed. Uncharted 1 and 2 are must-buys. The two Ratchet and Clank games are a lot of fun; most light-hearted fun I've had in while. I thought the God of War series were OK because I like mythology, but the gameplay was more or less button-mashing. Most people love Red Dead Redemption, but I haven't played it so I can't vouch for it. What I played of Little Big Planet I enjoyed but the game is harder than its cutesy appearance makes it seem. If you haven't played it on PC, Batman: Arkham Asylum is an amazing game.

For a decent overview of what's out there for PS3 and how they stack up, check out Metacritic.

Accessories? Second controller if you're planning on playing head to head against a friend in fighting or sports games. If you're going to play alone, don't bother. If you're going to use your PS3 as a DVD/BluRay player, the PS3 remote is highly recommended (should cost about 20 pounds).

Rakhmaninov3
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Definitely get Little Big Planet, I only played it for a couple hours on a friend's PS3 but it was loads of fun.
GO CARDINALS!

annabel
Topic Author

Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:22 pm

bdwilcox wrote:
The 360GB is hard drive space and is used to store game files (to make them load faster), to store game save files, to store movies/media and other stuff. If you're going for a lot of multimedia, go for the biggest drive you can afford.
360 is the biggest right? I don't really know how much I'm going to store and stuff, so I guess I best just buy the one with most.

The Move? I'd wait on that one. Not worth it right now.
excellent, thought so too

HDMI cable? Absolutely if your TV/monitor has one. Since you're in the UK, I don't know who to recommend for the cable because here in the states we have MonoPrice.com which sells quality HDMI cables for a few dollars apiece. Don't spend more than 10 pounds for a decent HDMI cable or you're getting ripped off.
Yeah my TV has it. So do I need to get a specific one, or are they all the same?

Must have games? I only buy console exclusive games that I can't buy for the PC, so my recommendations are a bit skewed. Uncharted 1 and 2 are must-buys. The two Ratchet and Clank games are a lot of fun; most light-hearted fun I've had in while. I thought the God of War series were OK because I like mythology, but the gameplay was more or less button-mashing. Most people love Red Dead Redemption, but I haven't played it so I can't vouch for it. What I played of Little Big Planet I enjoyed but the game is harder than its cutesy appearance makes it seem. If you haven't played it on PC, Batman: Arkham Asylum is an amazing game.
noted!

For a decent overview of what's out there for PS3 and how they stack up, check out Metacritic.

Accessories? Second controller if you're planning on playing head to head against a friend in fighting or sports games. If you're going to play alone, don't bother. If you're going to use your PS3 as a DVD/BluRay player, the PS3 remote is highly recommended (should cost about 20 pounds).

Yes, second controller is a definite. I hadn't even thought about the remote. Bleh, I need a major shopping list
Are you a talkative member of TR? Would you like to converse with fellow TR members? Then this is just the thing for you!

annabel
Topic Author

Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:23 pm

Rakhmaninov3 wrote:
Definitely get Little Big Planet, I only played it for a couple hours on a friend's PS3 but it was loads of fun.

Aaah, but do I get LBP or LBP2?

geekl33tgamer
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:59 pm

Get LPB 2. Notable titles for me on the PS3 have been Modnation Racers, Gran Turismo 5, Motorstorm: Pacific Rift and Locoroco. Those are all PS3 exclusives, and very addictive. If you like LBP especially, then I really think you should have a look at Modnation Racers.

As for the HDMI Cable, go to Maplin, Tesco or Argos on the high street for the best price. If your going down the e-tail route for one, then hit Amazon or eBay. Most are of excellent quality, so don't buy into those Monster branded cables Currys / Dixons and Comet will sell you. They are not worth it (£60 for a bloody half meter length, honestly).
Mega Beast - Intel i7 4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK | 32GB DDR3 | SLI GTX 1070 | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Mini Beast - Intel C2E QX9770 | Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 | 16GB DDR3 | KFA2 LP GTX 750Ti | Seagate 2TB SSHD

annabel
Topic Author

Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:19 pm

rcs2k4 wrote:
Get LPB 2. Notable titles for me on the PS3 have been Modnation Racers, Gran Turismo 5, Motorstorm: Pacific Rift and Locoroco. Those are all PS3 exclusives, and very addictive. If you like LBP especially, then I really think you should have a look at Modnation Racers.
Super, thanks love. I've seen a bunch of ps3 360gb with LBP2 free with it just now, so might just do that then get an extra controller and whatever other game catches my eye at the time. Price wise I'm thinking that's probably best

As for the HDMI Cable, go to Maplin, Tesco or Argos on the high street for the best price. If your going down the e-tail route for one, then hit Amazon or eBay. Most are of excellent quality, so don't buy into those Monster branded cables Currys / Dixons and Comet will sell you. They are not worth it (£60 for a bloody half meter length, honestly).
Yeah I'd never pay that much for a cable >.< I dunno if I should just order everything from Amazon or Play or something or go buy it in like HMV or GAME. The guys in GAME always look at me funny

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:49 am

annabel wrote:
The guys in GAME always look at me funny
It's because you have boobs.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

annabel
Topic Author

Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:11 pm

Dizik wrote:
It's because you have awesome boobs.

Fixed that for you Dizzy

MrJP
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:13 pm

Get your HDMI cable from thatcable.com. Very cheap but excellent quality and includes free delivery (takes 4 or 5 days). Just choose the length you need in the first section. I'm using these for my PS3 and Freesat HD boxes, and they're easily a match for the £30+ rubbish you'll find in Dixons, etc.

I can't make many game recommendations since I've only got Gran Turismo 5 so far (which is fantastic if you like that kind of thing).
i7-6700K ~ Asus Z170I Pro Gaming ~ 16GB Corsair DDR4-2400 ~ Radeon R9 Nano
Noctua NHU9S ~ Corsair Obsidian 250D ~ Corsair RM650X ~ Crucial MX100 512GB
SMSL M3 ~ Sennheiser HD555 ~ Logitech G500S/G910/G29 ~ LG 34UC79G

annabel
Topic Author

Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:27 pm

Yeah I'll get a cheapy cable, definitely not buying one of the expensive ones! Is everything quite easy to set up?

bdwilcox
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:03 pm

annabel wrote:
Yeah I'll get a cheapy cable, definitely not buying one of the expensive ones! Is everything quite easy to set up?

Can you plug Cable A into slot B? It's crazy easy.

annabel
Topic Author

Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:27 pm

bdwilcox wrote:

On a good day I can ;D

That'll be fine then. So list is PS3 slim (360?) Extra remote, HDMI cable and games. Don't bother with Move stuff just now.. Think I'm ready for some shopping :D

bdwilcox
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:42 pm

annabel wrote:
bdwilcox wrote:

On a good day I can ;D

That'll be fine then. So list is PS3 slim (360?) Extra remote, HDMI cable and games. Don't bother with Move stuff just now.. Think I'm ready for some shopping :D

Might want to pick up a BluRay movie or two if you haven't had a BluRay player attached to your TV. One of the computer animated movies will show off BluRay quality the best. My current favorite is Despicable Me.

annabel
Topic Author

Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:57 pm

bdwilcox wrote:
Might want to pick up a BluRay movie or two if you haven't had a BluRay player attached to your TV. One of the computer animated movies will show off BluRay quality the best. My current favorite is Despicable Me.

Not out here til the 21st of Feb, but I'll pick it up when it comes out :D I'll go buy something to watch too though, awesome suggestion, thanks my love

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:16 pm

bdwilcox wrote:
HDMI cable? Absolutely if your TV/monitor has one.

Must have games? I only buy console exclusive games that I can't buy for the PC...

Uncharted 1 and 2 are must-buys.

The two Ratchet and Clank games are a lot of fun...
^^^ What he said.

I'll add the music games (e.g.: Rock Band 3) to the list.

bdwilcox wrote:
I'll suggest that Wall-E looks fantastic on Blu-ray.

annabel wrote:
360 GB is the biggest right?
Mine's still got its 80 GB drive, but Sony makes it pretty easy to upgrade the drive. I plan to move the 320 GB 7200 rpm drive from my laptop to the PS3 once I upgrade the hard-drive in the laptop to something like this.

annabel
Topic Author

Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:46 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
^^^ What he said.

I'll add the music games (e.g.: Rock Band 3) to the list.

I totally forgot about rock band and that kinda stuff... Singstar :o

I'll suggest that Wall-E looks fantastic on Blu-ray.
noted, I'm sure I saw that in the sale as well

Mine's still got its 80 GB drive, but Sony makes it pretty easy to upgrade the drive. I plan to move the 320 GB 7200 rpm drive from my laptop to the PS3 once I upgrade the hard-drive in the laptop to something like this.

I'd have a disastrous time trying to do that kinda thing.. So I'll just buy the 320GB.

You can do the hooking up with people online thing eh? If so, you all need to be my friends :D

Voldenuit

Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:57 am

Keep an eye out for Little Big Planet 2 coming out this year, should be good (or get the prequel).

I'm a big fan of Team Ico's works - Ico & Shadow of the Colossus are coming out in a 2-pk for PS3 (remastered for hi-def), and their new game The Last Guardian is coming out late 2011.

The first game I'll get if I get a PS3 is Gran Turismo 5, though.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

annabel
Topic Author

Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:30 am

LBP2 is already out here so will defo get that

krazyboi
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:42 am

I have the 120gb and it seems big enough... i don't use it for multimedia stuff so it's not even close to being full... I download a bunch of demos to try and they run between ~100MB to ~2gb...

if you plan on watching Bluray DVDs, the HDMI cable is a must-put that first on your list :wink:
2nd controller is a must and the controller charging dock if you play a bunch... remote if you don't like using the controller for DVDs..

add Gran Turismo 5 to the list of must buys... over here there's always games on sale, so you could check out those and get your collection going :D
"Experience is not what happens to you; it's what you do with what happens to you."

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:47 pm

annabel wrote:
You can do the hooking up with people online thing eh? If so, you all need to be my friends :D

awww yeeeeahhh. /ahem
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:08 pm

annabel wrote:
Dizik wrote:
It's because you have awesome boobs.

Fixed that for you Dizzy
I commend my fellow gerbils for not replying "pix or it didn't happen".

It sounds like you have all of your bases covered in regards to games, but I'll vouch for Uncharted 1 & 2 anyway. I replay both of those on regular basis. For me that's huge since I tend to play a game for a few weeks/months and then forget about it.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

annabel
Topic Author

Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:35 pm

Thanks for all your help guys <3 I'll make sure I get Uncharted 1&2 and GT5 too :D keep any ideas for me coming!

I found a PS3 320GB slim which has LBP2 free with it, I've got the HDMI cable and I've got an extra controller. All reserved and paid for :D just need to pick it up. Was too busy tonight with kickboxing, tomorrow I've got running and advanced deep water aqua and Thursday I have zumba.. So might not get to pick it up til Friday :( but then I have the whole weekend to go nuts :D yaaaah

annabel
Topic Author

Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:43 pm

Dizik wrote:
I commend my fellow gerbils for not replying "pix or it didn't happen".

Surely most folk have me on facebook if they're that fussed :p

bdwilcox
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:51 pm

What kind of games do you like? Driving games? Shooters? Puzzles? Sports? Fighters? A great downloadable PS3 exclusive is Joe Danger. For sports, NHL 09/10 are great (and cheap now) as is FIFA soccer 09.

annabel
Topic Author

Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:16 pm

Tetris..

Hehe. I like loads of games, I like fighting games if they're not too yucky. I like adventure ones, you know, big questy kinds. Driving games also good, puzzley ones I like too..

Oh what's good for like multiplayer?

FIFA might be pushing it.. I'm just too girly for that.

MacUser
Gerbil

Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:38 pm

annabel wrote:
I like fighting games if they're not too yucky.

Super Street Fighter and Blaz Blue

I like adventure ones, you know, big questy kinds.

Uncharted 1 & 2, Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age Origins, Fallout 3, Assassins Creed 2 and Brotherhood, Demons Souls, Valkyria Chronicles

Driving games also good,

Wipeout HD, Gran Tourismo 5, Modnation Racers, Burnout Paradise

puzzley ones I like too..

Pixel Junk Monsters, Pixel Junk Shooter, Pixel Junk Eden, Flower, Echochrome 1 and 2

Oh what's good for like multiplayer?

LittleBigPlanet 2, Borderlands, bunch of military shooters (Battlefield Bad Company 2, MAG, Call of Duty series, Medal of Honor series, Resistance series, etc.)

ryko
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:10 pm

maybe i am in the minority here, but i tried out the "move stuff" at a friend's house on his ps3 and i though it was a lot of fun. even the 5-6 simple games that come with the system were pretty damn entertaining....maybe it was because i didn't invest a dime in it, or maybe it was the alcohol, but i had a blast and so did my wife and the other couples at the party.

so if you have real friends and not just online ones, "move" can be useful! i am sure you do have real friends....just saying.

bdwilcox
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:27 pm

Another good game is the very Zelda-like 3D Dot Game Heroes.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:06 pm

ryko wrote:
I tried out the "move stuff" at a friend's house on his ps3 and i though it was a lot of fun.
I tried out the Move over the holidays. The Shoot was reasonably entertaining, too.

These are the sorts of console games that I like, since they provide an experience that is quite different from PC gaming. I see little point in getting Mass Effect 2 or Dragon's Age: Origins or any first person shooters for my game console when they are better on my PC.

The only big plus for getting games on the console that I could get for the PC instead is that my sofa is more comfortable than my computer chair.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2