Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

morphine
TR Staff

Re: I'm gonna buy a PS3 - questions

Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:22 pm

The universal problem with motion-controlled games (IMHO, my $0.02), is that:

a) They're only fun with other people around.
b) The novelty gets old really quick.

Either a), b), or both are usually true. Sure, there may be an exception here and there, but I think this sums up the majority pretty well. Don't take this as an "don't buy Move!" advice, but rather a "only buy Move if you're pretty sure there's a really good game you want".
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

annabel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:26 am

MacUser wrote:
Super Street Fighter and a million other awesome games

thanks for all your suggestions :D I totally want Super Street Fighter, so might buy that in my lunch break today...

bdwilcox wrote:
Another good game is the very Zelda-like 3D Dot Game Heroes.

I love me some Zelda, so anything Zelda like is perrrrrfect. Thanks my love!

ryko wrote:
so if you have real friends and not just online ones, "move" can be useful! i am sure you do have real friends....just saying.

Yah, I've gots me some real friends. I'll get singstar, cause that's what we usually do when we get drunk. I've never tried the Move stuff so I don't really know. Are lots of games Move enabled? I can always buy it at the weekend as well...
Are you a talkative member of TR? Would you like to converse with fellow TR members? Then this is just the thing for you!
server: irc.freenode.org channel: #techreport

Vinceant
Gerbil XP

Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:20 am

My PS3 recommendations are odd, but these games blew me away when I played them. My tastes don't match others often though.

Demon's Souls. It's not as hard as people say, but it is pretty unforgiving. It's a good challenge though, and the atmosphere is amazing. Also sports a really cool online mechanic.

Way of the Samurai 3. This is one of the most unique games I've ever played. It's kinda like GTA, only in feudal Japan (what could be cooler than that?!). The big difference being you have complete freedom to do anything and attack anyone, even story related characters, and even during cutscenes. Killing characters off effects things in different ways depending on when you killed them, and even how. There's a ton of different endings, and it truly gives you moral choices that are fleshed out well, unlike most games that only have two basic options.

Folklore. It's like Grim's Fairy Tales meets Devil May Cry meets Pokemon. The story was amazing, and the gameplay was pretty awesome to boot. Very underrated game.

Little Big Planet 1/2. I haven't played 2, but the first was really really fun and had a never ending stream of content. I know others suggested this too, but one more recommendation couldn't hurt, could it?

Flower. Fun, unique, relaxing; just a few of the words that can be used to describe this very interesting title. It's cheap, short, and pushes the boundary a bit in game design. Check it out.

Final Fantasy XIII. This game gets a pretty bad score in most peoples book, but I liked it more than most of the other modern FF games. Yes, it's linear for the most part, but most FF's are. The battle system was very fun to me though. I pumped 70+ hours into it, and didn't even do half the stuff there is to do. I still need to go through and get more of the trophies.

Magic Ball/Orbz. Arkanoid meets Havok physics. Good humor, good gameplay. Simple but great if you're into that sort of game.

There's like a hojillion good games on the PSN though now, most of which I have not the money for, so I haven't tried. Not sure if you have a PSX collection, but if you don't I advise you to pick up Symphony of the Night on the PSN.
Vae victus.

annabel
Topic Author

Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:27 am

Vinceant wrote:
My PS3 recommendations are odd, but these games blew me away when I played them. My tastes don't match others often though.
Excellent! All suggestions very welcome! Except really mingin blokey ones.

Folklore. It's like Grim's Fairy Tales meets Devil May Cry meets Pokemon. The story was amazing, and the gameplay was pretty awesome to boot. Very underrated game.
This looks quite cool actually, I shall have a look!

Little Big Planet 1/2. I haven't played 2, but the first was really really fun and had a never ending stream of content. I know others suggested this too, but one more recommendation couldn't hurt, could it?
Yep, got LBP2 free with my PS3
Final Fantasy XIII. This game gets a pretty bad score in most peoples book, but I liked it more than most of the other modern FF games. Yes, it's linear for the most part, but most FF's are. The battle system was very fun to me though. I pumped 70+ hours into it, and didn't even do half the stuff there is to do. I still need to go through and get more of the trophies.

So, which is the best FF to get? 13?

I'm gonna go in my lunch break either tomorrow or Friday and buy a bunch of games so I can spend all Friday night and weekend eating pizza and playing PS3. Hurrah. So I'll make a list!
Are you a talkative member of TR? Would you like to converse with fellow TR members? Then this is just the thing for you!

jss21382
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:36 am

The move is great, even my mom can play the games. Guess it depends on whether you want to have fun with non gamers or just want to play it yourself.
X2 3800+ @ 2.3, 2GB Mushkin pc3200, Lanparty Ultra-D, X850XT @ 560/585

Sparticuse
Gerbil First Class

Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:41 am

So, which is the best FF to get?

That one will give you a varied response depending on who you ask. Personally, I would go with FFX for the more current generation FF games but it sadly won't play on a new ps3 since it's a ps2 game. MANY people will tell you 7 is the best, and it is very good. A nice point on that one is that if you can find a copy of it, it WILL run on a ps3 since it is a ps1 game. If you really want the great ones though, I would tell you to mod your ps3 so it can run snes games and get ff4 and ff6.

As for actual ps3 games to get, I'm going to give a +1 to the Ratchet and Clank games. Got the first one for free way back when and I was hooked on the entire series.

Also, I don't believe this one was mentioned and that saddens me: Just Cause 2. Best sandbox shooter I've ever played (for the sandbox part, GTA4 is my favorite sandbox game overall).

annabel
Topic Author

Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:22 pm

Sparticuse wrote:
That one will give you a varied response depending on who you ask. Personally, I would go with FFX for the more current generation FF games but it sadly won't play on a new ps3 since it's a ps2 game. MANY people will tell you 7 is the best, and it is very good. A nice point on that one is that if you can find a copy of it, it WILL run on a ps3 since it is a ps1 game. If you really want the great ones though, I would tell you to mod your ps3 so it can run snes games and get ff4 and ff6.

As for actual ps3 games to get, I'm going to give a +1 to the Ratchet and Clank games. Got the first one for free way back when and I was hooked on the entire series.

Also, I don't believe this one was mentioned and that saddens me: Just Cause 2. Best sandbox shooter I've ever played (for the sandbox part, GTA4 is my favorite sandbox game overall).

I think I'll get 7 for the PS1 and then I'll get FFX and then the new one comes out soon eh? That sounds like a plan.

Is Just Cause 2 quite yucky?

BobbinThreadbare
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:07 pm

annabel wrote:
I think I'll get 7 for the PS1 and then I'll get FFX and then the new one comes out soon eh? That sounds like a plan.

Is Just Cause 2 quite yucky?

FF 7, 9, and Tactics are all for sale on PSN, which makes it rather convenient.

MGS4 is the best game I've played on PS3, but you might find it "yucky." Then again you can kind of choose how to play, so you can just sneak everything and avoid all the killing.

I'll second the recommendation for 3D Dot Heroes, a very well executed parody/homage to the old Zelda games.

I really enjoyed the demo for Folklore, and I've just picked it up but haven't had a chance to get into it yet.

Shadow of the Colossus and ICO are getting HD remakes on the PS3 at some point. When they come out, I strongly recommend them. Well at least Shadow of the Colossus. I never played ICO, but they're being released together.

annabel
Topic Author

Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:26 am

I hate shopping for games. It’s so stressful. I’d order online but I want the stuff now and the in store offers are better just now. I went over to GAME in my lunch break and I bought 3D Dot Game Heroes but you could get it on offer with Final Fantasy XIII so I got that too, since it was only costing me like £4. But seriously, the second I stepped into the shop the dudes just swamped me asking if I was buying for someone else! Outrageous. This is why I need a list, I can never browse, they just hover over me the entire time and tell me things probably aren’t my cup of tea :(

Anyway, got those games, so yay. I wanna buy Super Street Fighter.. and something else from all your suggestions, so whatever you think would round my list off nicely..that’ll have to be tomorrow. Ugh. Maybe I could get one of the boys to go for me.

lex-ington

Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:07 pm

Did I miss some announcement in recent months that the newer PS3's can play PS2 games now?

I see some people recommending FFX as a good buy (and the game was alot of fun, especially the mini game) but it is not playable on the anything after the 80GB version and some specific 160GB versions - I'm probably wrong but i can't play it on my 250GB.

ModNationRacers is a really fun game. If you have or know kids that are creative, they will go bonkers on this game. FFXIII may not be the most exciting game out there, but it sure is graphically spectacular and the story is quite interesting. I play Tiger Woods 11 when I need to de-stress and take it slow. My wife and I still have royal battles playing Soul Caliber 4. Star Wars II is much better than the first one.

The games made for PS3 and PC I tend to go with the PC version since they dumb down the interfaces for the consoles. Dragon Age:Origins and Oblivion are prime examples of that.

The Move stuff is getting better - expensive - but getting better.

I HIGHLY suggest EA Sports Active 2 to everybody.
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

annabel
Topic Author

Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:06 pm

lex-ington wrote:
Did I miss some announcement in recent months that the newer PS3's can play PS2 games now?

I see some people recommending FFX as a good buy (and the game was alot of fun, especially the mini game) but it is not playable on the anything after the 80GB version and some specific 160GB versions - I'm probably wrong but i can't play it on my 250GB.
Not a clue love, but I got XIII anyway

ModNationRacers is a really fun game. If you have or know kids that are creative, they will go bonkers on this game.
I'm 23, so definitely no kids kicking about around me! I'm sure I'll go bonkers on it too though ;)

The Move stuff is getting better - expensive - but getting better.

I HIGHLY suggest EA Sports Active 2 to everybody.

I think I'm gonna give the Move stuff a miss for a while, until I want something shiny and new!

Is the EA Sports stuff just exercise? Cause I work out everyday anyway, PS3 is gonna be on the bum time!

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:25 pm

annabel wrote:
Whatever you think would round my list off nicely... that’ll have to be tomorrow.
bdwilcox wrote:
Uncharted 1 and 2 are must-buys.
The two Ratchet and Clank games are a lot of fun...
JustAnEngineer wrote:
I'll add the music games (e.g.: Rock Band 3) to the list.
Either Uncharted 1: Drake's Fortune or Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction would be your best bets. Of those, I'd choose Uncharted as the best story.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

WoCoNation
Gerbil In Training

Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:28 am

I saw someone say it above, but I'll re-echo the Demon's Souls recommendation. Some people hate the difficulty, but I found it to be a challenge without being infuriating. I eventually got bored of it after 120 hours and 4 playthroughs, which is a good value for $30.

Sparticuse
Gerbil First Class

Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:44 pm

I recomended it in my post because the question asked was "what is the best FF game?" but I also said:

Personally, I would go with FFX for the more current generation FF games but it sadly won't play on a new ps3 since it's a ps2 game.