Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, JustAnEngineer

Zoomastigophora
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Need Mouse Recommendations

Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:51 am

I actually have no idea where this thread should go, but I guess that's what mods are for. Anywho, I'm looking to get a new mouse. My main criteria is comfort. I've done a little bit of research, and here's what I've come up with:

1. Cyborg RAT 7
I'm mostly intrigued by its high configurability, but one of my friends purchased it and said it suffered from poor quality control (the laser apparently crapped out within a day). He also said that the build quality was pretty cheap as all the configurable parts were made of cheap plastic. His personal experience runs counter to pretty much every review I've seen on the mouse so I'd be interested to hear from people who also own it. In particular, long term quality of the mouse and if cleaning it is a problem (I have sweaty hands so gunk builds up pretty quickly). This is the mouse I'm currently leaning towards the most.

2. Logitech G500
I've tried this mouse briefly from someone who had it and I liked it while I was using it. It fit pretty well in my hand, and the frictionless scrolling was a boon for scrolling through code. However, one of my friends has owned it and said that it would randomly trigger mouse wheel up and downs, which would be pretty annoying since a lot of games bind gear switching to mouse wheel scrolling.

3. CM Storm Sentinel Advance
It seems to have good reviews and the friend who disliked the RAT 7 said I should look at Cooler Master mice instead.

4. Microsoft Sidewinder X8
Definitely my favorite mouse out of all the ones I've ever physically tried. Fits in my hand incredibly well and I like the thumb button placements. A roommate has had issues with its wireless tracking jittering, but now that he's switched it to wired, everything's been fine. It's mostly a toss up between the RAT and this, with the RAT only winning out because I haven't tried it before.

Are there any other suggestions? Any feedback on the ones I'm currently considering would also be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Zoomastigophora on Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grape Flavor
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: Need Mouse Recommendations

Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:05 am

Bit-tech sez: (and they've never led me wrong)
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/periph ... ng-mouse/1

Mionix Naos 3200
Razer Imperator

I'm planning to get one of those two soon. My Razer Diamondback has served me well, but it's not ergonomic, the plastic surface clings to the skin, and the thumb buttons are useless. So I'm in the market for an upgrade too.

The Cooler Master mice look too fussy for my taste. Sometime simpler is better IMO, I don't want to fool around with weights or scroll through 5 sensitivity settings.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:38 am

Zoomastigophora wrote:
2. Logitech G500
I've tried this mouse briefly from someone who had it and I liked it while I was using it. It fit pretty well in my hand, and the frictionless scrolling was a boon for scrolling through code. However, one of my friends has owned it and said that it would randomly trigger mouse wheel up and downs, which would be pretty annoying since a lot of games bind gear switching to mouse wheel scrolling.

I have this mouse, and I love it. I have encountered the issue you are talking about, but this rarely happens when the mousewheel is locked. Even when it is unlocked though, I use the number row to switch gear, a product of over a decade of Counter-Strike, and it really doesn't bother me.

I couldn't imagine using another mouse on my home system that doesn't have at least the buttons, unlockable scrollwheel, and side scrolling (which I use the least). On mouse sensitivity adjustment is useful if adjusting sensitivity in game is difficult, and is helpful with multiple users who are uncomfortable with higher sensitivities on the desktop. You may also adjust the number of different sensitivies that the mouse moves through.

If I could change anything, it would be to have these features in a smaller mouse, a little larger than Logitech's 300 series, to allow for a more efficient finger hold as opposed to the palm hold that the 500 series espouses, but that's a personal preference.

On quality, I'll add that I've owned a: MX500, MX510, MX518, G5v2, and now a G500- as I've upgraded mice, the others have been handed down, and are all still functional.

RickyTick
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:56 pm

Very happy with a MX518.
Corsair 450D | EVGA SuperNova G3 650W | Asus Z270 Prime-A | Intel i7-7700K | Cryorig H7 | MSI GTX1070 Gaming X 8G | 16gb GSkill TridentZ DDR4 3200 | Crucial MX300 M.2-2280 1TB | Corsair K70 Rapidfire | Logitech G502 | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q

galleryb
Gerbil In Training

Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:19 pm

Zoomastigophora wrote:
I actually have no idea where this thread should go, but I guess that's what mods are for. Anywho, I'm looking to get a new mouse. My main criteria is comfort. I've done a little bit of research, and here's what I've come up with:

2. Logitech G500

I can heartily second everything Airman said, so I won't rehash what he's already said so well.

It IS a big mouse and like Airman, I wish it was a tad smaller. But, then, I'm a lady and I have small hands. However, I find its features, especially the sensitivity options, well worth the trade-off in size. I've had a couple of really rare brain stem strokes on the right side and while I've mostly regained my strength and coordination in my right hand, it's never going to be like it was pre-strokes. Hence, my decision to go with the G500. I wanted/needed a mouse that is precise with great sensitivity. The G500 fills the bill. It's my primary mouse.

I got one of the G500's that ended up (after about 6 months of daily use 8-12 hours a day, 5-6 days a week) that developed the left button "double click" with a single tap syndrome. One phone call to Logitech (got a live human in under 5 minutes), a quick discussion of what I'd done to try to resolve the problem software-wise and I had an email with a link to print out a prepaid UPS mailing label. As soon as Logitech received my defective G500 they immediately shipped out a brand new retail boxed G500 to me via two day UPS air. I was notified via email all along the process.

To that end, I believe the very small bad batch with the faulty component was way back in early 2010 and I've heard nothing of this being an issue with the G500 for what's available on the market now.

Zoomastigophora
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:36 am

Thanks to everyone that's replied. This is essentially a thread bump because I haven't gotten enough feedback to push me towards one mouse or another. Help! :D

Regarding the G500, the fact that the scroll wheel triggering events on its own wasn't isolated to just my friend makes me hesitant towards it. I don't want to have a mouse that has some niggling minor flaw if I'm putting down $50+ for it, and this is an issue that would annoy me even if it only happened rarely (even more so because it happens rarely).

jchurch83
Gerbil In Training

Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:06 pm

Depending on your budget and what you can justify spending on a Mouse, I use the Razer Mamba which comes in around ~129.99 but is one of the more comfortable ones i've used. It also looks awesome and has all of the essential mouse buttons for gaming and browsing needs. I love that it gives you the flexibility of being either Wired in or wireless. Overall a great Mouse!!

Zoomastigophora
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:42 pm

Thanks for the info jchurch.

So I think I might just end up cycling through mice until I get one I like. I bought the Cyborg RAT 7 off Amazon and played with it for about two weeks. After this past weekend's coding marathon for my OS course, I've confirmed that there's no configuration with the RAT that's comfortable for me. The palm rest wasn't shaped properly for my palm and using it for an extended period resulted in a dull pain at my knuckles. I did really like the pinkie rest, but that was about it. So that's going back to Amazon and once the refund money comes in, I'll be getting the Razer Imperator based on bit-tech's review. I'll keep this thread updated with my mousing adventures ;)

swampfox
Gerbil First Class

Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:24 am

Zoomastigophora wrote:
So I think I might just end up cycling through mice until I get one I like.

Zoomastigophora wrote:
I'll keep this thread updated with my mousing adventures ;)

Curious what you settled on...
C2D E7300 | ASUS P5Q Pro | 4GB OCZ Fatal1ty DDR2-800 | ASUS Radeon HD 4850 TOP | 500W OCZ ModXStream | WD10EADS | WD6400AAKS | Win7 64bit | Antec P182

Zoomastigophora
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:15 am

Ack, I totally forgot about this thread. I ended up settling with the Razer Imperator. It's almost as wide as the Microsoft Sidewinder X8, which is nice, but it sorely needs some sort of rest for the pinkie since mine just drags around with my mouse when I move it. The lighter weight, adjustable thumb button positioning, decent configuration software and higher sensitivity (mostly e-peen thing, I don't ever use anything higher than 1800) were enough to convince me to keep it. If it had a pinkie rest or was wider to accommodate for the pinkie, it'd pretty much be a perfect mouse for me. I actually didn't realize how much I appreciated a lighter mouse until I tried the RAT 7 whose stock weight is as heavy as some mice with weights. So for now, I'm sticking with the Imperator, but I'm open to consider others if people have suggestions. Got some Amazon gift cards that should be used ;)

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:04 am

Have you tried a simple Logitech MX518 as RickyTick suggested?
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:49 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:

No.
G400.

ALiLPinkMonster
Gerbil XP

Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:29 am

I am a huge fan of Logitech. I used an MX518 back in my BF2 days and my friend's G500 is an absolute joy to use. It is personal preference though so if you can go to a local best but or CompUSA where they have displays and test them out that would be for the best.

oh, you found one. How is the Imperator?
i3-8100 | GTX 1050 Ti | 2x8GB DDR4-2666 | B360M D3H | MX500 250GB | P300 3TB | Define Mini C | CX450

Zoomastigophora
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:15 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:

Yup I have. It has the same basic shape as the Imperator, but it's more slender. I prefer wider mice like the Sidewinder since I palm my mice.

ALiLPinkMonster wrote:
oh, you found one. How is the Imperator?

See three posts above yours ;). Did you have any specific questions?

swampfox
Gerbil First Class

Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:53 am

Meadows wrote:
JustAnEngineer wrote:

No.
G400.

Thinking about getting one of these... I've heard it is essentially a newer, more inexpensive version of the MX518. Is that true?
C2D E7300 | ASUS P5Q Pro | 4GB OCZ Fatal1ty DDR2-800 | ASUS Radeon HD 4850 TOP | 500W OCZ ModXStream | WD10EADS | WD6400AAKS | Win7 64bit | Antec P182

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:59 am

Razer DeathAdder Black Edition (http://store.razerzone.com/store/razeru ... .224620300).

Super comfortable. I love mine.

Have tried a logitech mx518, mx510 and used a MS OEM Optical for ages. DeathAdder beats them all by about a million. Only negative would be that if you like your mouse on the left hand side then you'd have to get used to the extra buttons being on the left (i.e. the mouse isn't symmetrical / southpaw).
Last edited by yogibbear on Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:08 am

I have the Logitech G700 and absolutely love it.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:13 am

swampfox wrote:
Meadows wrote:
JustAnEngineer wrote:

No.
G400.

I've heard it is essentially a newer, more inexpensive version of the MX518. Is that true?

Yes, and no. It's a newer/updated version of the MX 518, but it's not "more inexpensive" at all.

tsoulier
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:49 am

The best mouse i ever had is the MX 1000
Core I7 2600K @ 4.6 | Asrock P67 Extreme 4 | 16 gig Corsair | EVGA Superclocked GTX 780 | Samsung 840 Pro SSD | Seasonic X-850 W

Phenom II 940 @ 3.6 | Gigabyte MA78G-DS3HP | 2x2 gig G-Skill dr2 800 | 500 W Seasonic | WD 640 HDD | EVGA GTX 570

irvinenomore
Gerbil

Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:17 am

On a slightly different note, I have the Lazer Abyssus. It's cheap ($40 CDN), I find it comfortable but I have smallish hands and it seems to always be precise & has worked well for a while. May get a second for my work notebook.

ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:24 am

I have a Razer Krait. Quite small and light - I hold it with my finger tips. My hands is small enough that I don't fit many bigger mice with high arch to them. This on;es pretty flat. Moves nice. mad dotz good too

I use a MX 518 at work - good too.

pepys
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:18 am

Dizik wrote:
I have the Logitech G700 and absolutely love it.

I like that too but I'm left handed.

TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Elite

Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:51 pm

For anyone else that stumbles across this thread - I have a Logitech G9x and I have almost no complaints. For somebody as fussy as me that basically means it's perfect :P. The tunable weight seems a bit gimmicky at first, but after playing a lot of TF2 this year I actually changed the weights around and felt an improvement. If there's any problem, it's that the buttons could use a *tiny* bit more resistance, but you adjust to it. It's held up pretty well to the amount of use its gotten, on a lot of mice the markings start to wear off after about a year, but not this one. And of course the tracking is impeccable.

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:17 pm

I have a G500 and I like it a lot. I haven't had any problems with the scroll wheel activating when it's not supposed to.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

l33t-g4m3r
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:12 pm

Another G500 recommendation here. The scroll wheel "issue" is user error. There are two modes, hyper scroll and normal scroll. You don't use hyper scroll mode for gaming.

LoneWolf15
Gerbil Elite

Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:33 pm

I'm a curmudgeon. Picked up a like-new Logitec MX-1000 cordless laser to replace my beat up one of the same model.

Some of that is because I use a KVM, and new cordless mice have a different sensor setup requiring direct USB plug-in, but I love the mouse, too. It's hard to go wrong with Logitech in general; I've been using them since the days of serial port mice.
i9-9900K @4.7GHz, GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi, 2 x 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V PC3000
Corsair 650D, Seasonic 1Kw Platinum PSU
2x HP EX920 1TB NVMe, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB 2.5", NEC 7200 DVDRW
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC, Dell S2719DGF 27" LCD