Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Kunikos
Gerbil
Topic Author

Password works in Forum but not in Comments

Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:12 pm

This may be the wrong place to post about this issue, but oh well, I can't find an e-mail address for the site administrator.

I could log into the forums just fine, but as of yesterday TR refuses to recognize my password on the comments sections (I never changed it). I couldn't figure out how to fix the issue, so I went into the forums and reset my password and then switched it back to what I had originally. Still no dice.

What's a brother to do?
Last edited by Captain Ned on Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: EDIT BY MOD: Temporarily making the thread a sticky.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Re: Password works in Forum but not in Comments

Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:14 pm

I had the same problem. The username field is now case sensitive. You have you enter your nic exactly the way you entered it when you originally registered: Kunikos not kunikos. (If you're using FF or another browser with a password manager make sure it gets updated too).

DreadCthulhu
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:03 pm

Thanks for the help, UberGerbil - I too was having the same issue.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. The competent use violence well before last resorts are necessary.

If violence isn't solving your problems, then you aren't using enough of it.

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:09 pm

You would have found the solution by reading the thread about the new phpBB.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=56533
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:20 pm

titan wrote:

Yes, but it's not obvious that's the place to look. They weren't having any problem with the forums, which is what you would associate with the new phpBB. It certainly wasn't obvious to me why a change in the forums would suddenly cause the front page comment login to stop working, particularly because that exact same login appeared to be working with the new phpBB-based forum.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:55 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
titan wrote:

Yes, but it's not obvious that's the place to look. They weren't having any problem with the forums, which is what you would associate with the new phpBB. It certainly wasn't obvious to me why a change in the forums would suddenly cause the front page comment login to stop working, particularly because that exact same login appeared to be working with the new phpBB-based forum.

It's also buried in a long-ass thread.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:59 pm

mattsteg wrote:
UberGerbil wrote:
titan wrote:

It's also buried in a long-ass thread.
Yeah. On page 6. In fact derFunkenstein posted about it just a couple of comments after I posted the solution, and he didn't see it.

So it's good we have a clearly-titled topic for this issue, since there are probably more than a few occasional posters who haven't yet had a reason to make a comment on the front page and encounter the problem.

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:03 am

I tried everything .. it's still not working for me :(

Kunikos
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:27 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
I had the same problem. The username field is now case sensitive. You have you enter your nic exactly the way you entered it when you originally registered: Kunikos not kunikos. (If you're using FF or another browser with a password manager make sure it gets updated too).

OK, well, I'll give it a try. But I don't get why it's case sensitive only for the comments page and not for the forums themselves. :-?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:15 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
Yeah. On page 6. In fact derFunkenstein posted about it just a couple of comments after I posted the solution, and he didn't see it.

Yeah, I can't read. :oops:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:42 pm

Kunikos wrote:
OK, well, I'll give it a try. But I don't get why it's case sensitive only for the comments page and not for the forums themselves. :-?
It didn't make any sense to me, either, which is why it took so long for me to figure it out. But sroylance said something about rewriting the hashing algorithm, so it's probably a side-effect of that (though why it doesn't also apply in the forums I still have no idea).
derFunkenstein wrote:
Yeah, I can't read. :oops:
Well, I kind of hid the answer.

Kevin
Administrator

Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:22 pm

I've made this thread a sticky so hopefully it's a bit more visible to people having this problem.

Kevin

Saribro
Gerbil

Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:03 pm

I've run into this problem.
No amount of case-switching or cache/cookie cleaning seemed to help, so I tried something else.
I changed my forum password, got reactivation mail (probably because I changed my email address aswell), reactivated -> comments worked again.
I changed forum password back to the old one (I like it better), got no reactivation mail -> comments stopped working, forum is still no problem.

The only possible cause I can think of next, is that my prefered password has special characters (", $). Could this be causing the comment-system to throw me "Woops, incorrect username or password"?
[EDIT]
Now that I think of it, I don't seem to remember problems before on Vista x64, but only since I switched to 7 x64. Another possible source of different character-handling with these special characters in my password?

Walkintarget
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue May 11, 2010 1:29 pm

After 1.5 years, I can finally post in the forums using FF. :D

I could always post in the comments using FF, but something prevented the login link from even appearing in FF when I read the forums.
AMD Ryzen R5 2600x, Asus Prime x470 Pro, Sapphire Nitro Fury 4GB, HP EX920 512GB NVMe SSD, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, 4TB WD Red HDD, Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Ed, Win 10 Pro

morphine
TR Staff

Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:25 pm

That must have something to do with your own Firefox installation, maybe some extension was messing with it. I've been in TR forever and never had any issue logging in :o

In any case, welcome!
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Derfer
Gerbil

Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:07 pm

I can't stay logged in for comments in either firefox or chrome, regardless of case sensitivity.

morphine
TR Staff

Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:16 pm

Do you mean you can stay logged in to the forums but not the frontpage comments? The other way around?
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Derfer
Gerbil

Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:09 pm

Front page, forum is fine.

Derfer
Gerbil

Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:19 pm

Is anybody working on this? Case sensitive, changing the password, different computers, nothing fixes this front page comment log in issue and it's only this website.

Kurotetsu
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:15 am

I'm now having the same issue Derfer had 2 years ago. I can't stay logged in to the forums or the comments section for more than a few seconds, if I even get logged in at all. There are times when I have to login 2 or 3 times before it "sticks" and even then I'll wind up being kicked off in the middle of writing a post. I've tried Chrome and Firefox in addition to disabling the AV on my system, which doesn't appear to help.
Under Construction Forever~~~

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:55 pm

A few years back, your username was case sensitive in the comments but not in the forums.

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:28 pm

I have nothing to add, but we can probably pull the stickie off this. Only one person with an issue in over 3 years.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:36 pm

The Egg wrote:
I have nothing to add, but we can probably pull the stickie off this. Only one person with an issue in over 3 years.
One person who posted something about the issue. Without knowing read counts we don't know how many people had an issue, found and read this thread which solved their problem, but didn't post about it one way or the other. That said, is this still an issue or are the login systems consistently permissive (or at least unified) wrt case on the user name?