Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

lonleyppl
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

File Server Setup

Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:27 pm

Mods, not sure this is the right part of the forum so please move it if needed.

In seven months or so I'll be headed off to college. While I will have my college laptop I wanted to leave my nettop at home and use it as a file server and backup system. I was planning on setting this up in a few months, but last night the hard disk decided to screw up and currently sounds like an aircraft taking off so I'm not running it. I'll probably be replacing the drive with a 2TB drive if I make it a NAS or a spare 150GB drive from around the house if I don't. My original plan was to use it as a place where I could drop files from my college laptop and phone and then access them from anywhere. I was thinking about using FreeNAS, but I have no experience with it and wasn't sure what exactly is possible with it. My father, who is rather experienced with Oracle, thinks I should use Oracle Webcenter. I don't really have any idea of what would work and would certainly appreciate suggestions. Thanks.

Edit: Got the name of the Oracle product right.
Lenovo W520
IBM dx340
Nokia Lumia 928
Sony a7 with far too many lenses to list or even count

lonleyppl
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Re: File Server Setup

Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:29 pm

Bump-ish

Turns out the power supply was bad and it was making the terrible sound, not the hard drive. I'd still like to set it up as a file server so any suggestions for that are highly appreciated. I think I'll create a virtual machine to test the Oracle stuff when I get some time though. Bit bogged down with work now unfortunately. In the meantime I'll have to mod the case a bit, maybe. Foxconn bundles their barebones kits with some weird form-factor PSU so the system is currently completely open with an ATX power supply sitting on top.
Lenovo W520
IBM dx340
Nokia Lumia 928

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:15 pm

Oracle Webcenter looks like total overkill and, unless you're going to pirate it, it's insanely expensive. Probably a bear to configure it properly.

I'd stick FreeNAS into a virtual machine and give it a whirl. If you're wanting to access your files from anywhere on the Internet, it'd simplify matters if you got a Dynamic DNS account set up, so you can access your server with a hostname instead of an IP address. My router supports several different such services, and I use DynDNS.org's. You'll also need to tell your router to port-forward to the fileserver, and you may want to choose a non-standard port to be externally visible, so the scanner bots don't find you.

You'll need to decide which protocol(s) to use to make your stuff accessible, and I can't help you there. It really comes down to what your phone can talk to, since they're less versatile. WebDAV might work. You'll definitely want to run whatever it is over SSL, so people can't sniff your packets.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

lonleyppl
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:30 pm

Thanks bthylafh. I'll definitely give FreeNAS a whirl in a VM, but due to reservations from my father, I'll probably try Oracle too. The experience may not be bad to have, and I was supposed to set up the computer I'm currently on as an Oracle Database server anyways so I suppose I'll try both. So how quickly can Verizon download 8 GB of files... This could be fun.

Edit: Darn homonyms.
Lenovo W520
IBM dx340
Nokia Lumia 928