Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Thanato
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Has anyone used XIM3 to mouseify your console?

Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:50 pm

I always though if consoles could use a mouse then PC gaming would improve. I was doing some searches on the subject and found this,
http://xim3.com/?page_id=182
I was rather impressed. I watched some of the game play examples and found it rather entertaining.

Sparticuse
Gerbil First Class

Re: Has anyone used XIM3 to mouseify your console?

Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:02 pm

I had a friend who got something like that for his Xbox (origonal) and it worked, but you still have to contend with the built in "speed limit". You will never turn faster than pushing the joystick all the way to the side so you will get more accuracy, but you won't get the response time you get on a PC.

Thanato
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:16 pm

Then you need to see the video's, there are no speed limitations on Halo reach, COD BO, COD MW 2, etc. There are sample video for many of the major FPS out for consoles.

Corrado
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:05 pm

According to the site, the XIM3 isn't out yet, so I don't think anyone is going to have first hand experience with it :)

Vinceant
Gerbil XP

Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:51 pm

What's kind of aggravating is the necessity of a device to do this. Why can't I just plug a mouse in and control it that way? Particularly annoying on games that are already on the PC.

However, seeing as this is an Xbox only device, any word on an equally good product for the PS3? Or something that's affordable? The XIM3 is 150 bucks.
Vae victus.

Corrado
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:32 pm

Vinceant wrote:
However, seeing as this is an Xbox only device, any word on an equally good product for the PS3? Or something that's affordable? The XIM3 is 150 bucks.

If I recall correctly you CAN do that with a PS3. YOu just need the game to support it. UT3 did. Plug in USB keyboard, mouse and go.

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=574996
Mark Rein wrote:
I checked with Steve Polge and he said that YES we are supporting keyboard and mouse in Unreal Tournament 3 on PS3. He is confident we are doing it in a way that will be balanced without feeling "gimped" for either side. We'll also allow people to choose whether or not they want to allow mixed controller vs. keyboard/mouse games or not.

Vinceant
Gerbil XP

Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:19 pm

Yeah, I'm aware that Sony supports it, but most games do not. COD:MW2 doesn't, which annoys me. I wonder if Killzone does, if so, I might actually start caring about that series.
Vae victus.

Thanato
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:46 pm

Yeah I guess no one could have tried it cuz it's not available, but it seems the be the 3rd generation of the device. Anyways it's seems cool.

Sparticuse
Gerbil First Class

Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:47 am

Well if it can get past the maximum turn speed limit then I would be wary of using it online. I could easily see Microsoft putting the "cheater" label on your account if you use it online. Having true mouse capability on a console really is an unfair advantage.