Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

You Don't Know Jack

Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:46 pm

http://store.steampowered.com/app/99200/

If you're not familiar with the You Don't Know Jack series, it's a crazy trivia game series from the 1990s. It's old enough that I actually own the first two installments for Mac, and they require OS 7.5 or later. The Jellyvision people have brough the series back on all current-generation consoles and PC (link to Steam above) and I wholeheartedly suggest you go out and buy it. Especially if you like trivia games and you like smarmy game show hosts. It's just seriously off-the-wall, and there are enough questions (70 episodes, 21 questions per episode) that it shouldn't get repetitive any time soon, and for $20 I can think of lots of games I bought at or above that price that won't bring me nearly as much enjoyment.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: You Don't Know Jack

Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:47 pm

What a great series, brings back fond memories of playing this at a Lan when taking a break in-between the more hard core games.

Great fun.
Last edited by Sargent Duck on Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:01 am

Looks like they changed things up a little bit. It's now an 11 question game (counting the Jack attack). My wife and I played three episodes last night together, which took around 50 minutes, so at our present pace it'll take us around 23-24 hours to get through everything. A HUGE value compared to some of the garbage people play around here, especially at $20.

The same sort of wit and crazy humor of the previous games is here for sure. They added some neat things, like everyone answers and your cash rewards are based on how quickly you do it, and there are some amusing other tidbits I won't ruin right now.

Plus it has KEYBOARD AND MOUSE which seems to be a big deal to all the FPS players, so I thought I'd through that out there. I'm sure if you could play this cross-platform you'd pwn all the Xbox Kiddiez with how fast you can answer the questions on the keyboard.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:19 am

I'll probably pick it up, it looks kinda fun.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:00 am

Sweet. My wife and I enjoyed them the first time around years ago... Might have to check this out...

Vrock
Gerbil God

Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:39 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Plus it has KEYBOARD AND MOUSE which seems to be a big deal to all the FPS players, so I thought I'd through that out there. I'm sure if you could play this cross-platform you'd pwn all the Xbox Kiddiez with how fast you can answer the questions on the keyboard.
Fell out of the chair :lol:

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:52 am

anything the wife and I can play competitively is good :D Thanks for the heads up.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:20 pm

Vrock wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
Fell out of the chair :lol:

Hey Vrock good to see you around again.

paul my wife and I are that way too. We play together and we like to compete but we generally like different kinds of games. She's not into fast action stuff so this is great. She totally stomped me in all 3 games because I wasn't paying close enough attention to the Jack Attack. I went into two of the three with a lead and I actually lost all three games by more than $15000 each. I just went into the hole. :lol:

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:35 pm

Man, I just remember going into all the retailers (Egghead, Computer City, CompUSA) and seeing that box with the picture of the bald head everywhere.
(And this little voice in the back of my brain going "Why is the singer from Midnight Oil promoting a video game?")

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:25 pm

OK now I'm a little annoyed, because I found out that the Xbox and PS3 versions are getting (and have already gotten the first) downloadable content expansions, packs of 10 episodes each. They either aren't on the PC yet or aren't coming. Boo!

Still, I have about 50 more episodes to get through first...