Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

cards4free
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

I will pay for GPU time

Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:26 pm

I have my own distributed computing project, and I am willing to pay for GPU time. If any of you want to make a little extra cash, I pay per month (upfront each month), mostly for Radeon cards since for some reason the NVIDIA cards run my software a lot slower. For newer Radeon cards, the payments are well over the cost of electricity for most people.

Over the course of 8 months, you can actually pay for a Radeon 5770 or 5870, just from running my program (not counting electricity costs).

If you have access to free electricity, this could be a profitable use for your video card when you aren't donating time to charity.

I am in Seattle, and I have an ad on the Seattle Craigslist site: http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/bar/2209064298.html

That ad will expire in a few days, but you can always find my latest ad by searching Craigslist for "5770" or "5870".

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Re: I will pay for GPU time

Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:52 pm

Care to tell us what exactly your distributed computing project is, well, computing? Because if it's cracking encryption or captchas or doing something else sketchy, I don't think you're going to find much interest. Even if it's doing something legitimate, I know I would want to know where all those floating point cycles (for which I'd still be paying the electrical costs) are going; and also the source of the funds you're using to purchase the cards.

As always, if it looks too good to be true...

codedivine
Gerbil Elite

Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:54 pm

Have you looked at Amazon EC2 GPU nodes?

Spyder22446688
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:08 pm

A fool is born every minute... and I'd be a fool not to take advantage of this offer before the O.P. runs out of cash! :lol:
x--x--x--x