Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, JustAnEngineer

Skullzer
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

My new AMD build (first time builder)

Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:59 am

So here's the story. I've always purchased prepacked computers from large retailers. (no comments necessary) The last time I purchased a new PC was about 5-6 years ago and I'm still using it. It's a P4 running windows XP. I won't go any further since it's completely irrelevant and I don't plan on using any of it's existing parts. I only mention it so you can see how much in need I am of a new system lol. For the last 2 months I've been saving some money and reading The Tech Report forums, reviews on PC hardware in Newegg, and some other tech websites for help making my decisions for hardware for my upcoming build. I'll go ahead and list what I have in my shopping cart and I look forward to seeing what you guys think. I've used some of the build recommendations here on TR. I think it's a great community of PC enthusiasts that are more than willing to share their thoughts on peoples builds or comments. Be easy on me, I'm a newbie and it's my first time posting on TR or any other tech forum for that matter.

I live in CA USA, will be purchasing hardware online- Newegg, tigerdirect, amazon, etc. whatever has the lowest prices

Budget: $600-800 (not including monitor and peripherals)

Use: Gaming (WOW, SC2, COD BO...Diablo 3 when it comes out), surfing the interwebs (using firefox), Itunes, and rarely I do some music production. (using Ableton Live) I would like to be able to play a game in high settings, use iTunes, and surf the web all at the same time without having the computer freeze or lag. :D

-For what I'm going to be using my computer for which is better, 64bit or 32bit?

CPU: Phenom II x2 555 BE $189 combo with MOBO
-I have been going back and forth on whether to get a x2 555 BE or x4 955 BE. The reason is because I have a feeling X2 will be fine for my needs with the possibility of unlocking a 3rd or 4th core. I don't plan to overclock but from what I have read it's fairly simple to do. I plan on using the stock heatsink since I don't plan on getting crazy with the OC'ing. I went with a black edition because I like the idea of possibly OCing in the future if things start slowing up. I'm sure by going with the AM3 socket chips I could always replace it in the future with a X4 or X6 when I need to.

MOBO: ASUS M4A87TD EVO
-I went with the 870 chipset because I plan on having a video card do the graphics and I don't plan on using crossfire (not now at least). I know the 880G chipsets are not much more expensive but the only difference I see is the integrated graphics, which I won't use. I like the idea of having the options for the future of utilizing SATA 6Gb and USB 3.0. I know there's not a lot of hardware that utilizes these features but I like the comfort of knowing I have these options in the next 2-4 years.

PSU: Corsair 650HX $145 combo with RAM
-I think 650W might be a little overkill for my complete setup but from what I understand It's better to have a little more power than needed than to not have enough. I also like the idea of modular cabling. From reviews I've read this seems like a great PSU, but any suggestions would gladly be accepted.

RAM: Coarsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3
- there are a lot of options....the only reason i settled for this was because there was a combo deal with the PSU to save $25. Some other options I looked at was some Gskill ripjaw 1333 and Crucial Ballistix 1333 or 1600. Not sure what big of a difference 1333 or 1600 speeds will make with my overall package and for how I use my new PC. I understand I may have to change some settings in the BIOS in my MOBO if I'm going to use 1600. I'm not looking forward to this as it will be my first time but after reading forums and watching youtube videos I think I can do it. :oops:

Storage: Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB $125 and WD Black 1TB $90
-here's where I may need some advice... and I know there has been much debate over whether or not an SSD is worth it now or if people should wait until they're cheaper. My thoughts are that if I get a 64GB SSD for my OS and some games I will be very happy with load times. Both for game levels and system startup. This is important to me. However I think the SSD will be the most expensive piece of the puzzle. Should I skip the SSD and wait for the new models to come out? I hear SSD tech will be a lot better in the coming months. I could use the extra $$ upgrading the vid card i suppose. Right now I have a 300GB HDD with a little over 80GB free on it. That being said I think I would be fine with just a 500GB HDD for my storage but from what I've read you get better performance with a 1TB drive (32MB cache vs 64MB). And to spend an extra $30-$40 for double the space I think it's worth it. My files I keep in storage are mostly MP3's and games. I don't use my computer to watch movies or anything so having 1TB of space is kind of overkill. I also looked in to the Samsung F3 models but the 5 year warranty on the WD drive is a little more appealing to me.

Video Card: MSI R5770 Hawk Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit $155
-again, there are tons of options. I'm thinking the 5770 should be adequate to play the games I mentioned before on High settings. Even in my old system I've upgraded my video card 3 or 4 times and I've always gone with ATI (now AMD I guess). I figure that when newer games come out in the next year or two if I'm unhappy with performance I could always upgrade to the 6000 series or to whatever is the new stuff at the time. Hell, I'm still playing WOW and SC2 (very low settings) on my Radeon X1600 series card connected by AGP, so ANYTHING at this point is an upgrade. I don't know how my computer hasn't blown up yet. It sounds like a dustbuster is operating in my case sometimes.

Optical drive: ASUS DVD Burner $20
-there are tons of options, I just went with what sold the most and had high reviews on newegg. I don't plan on sitting at my desk to watch movies right now, but if video game media changes to BluRay then I can always slap a BluRay drive in later.

Case: Antec 300 $60
-again, lots of options. I think it looks cool, has space for all of the components listed, reviews say the cooling is good, has USB 3.0 sockets built in just need to connect the MOBO.

TOTAL PRICE $785ish before tax and shipping, not including rebates

To make a long story longer, a lot of people are saying Sandy Bridge or wait for Bulldozer is the way to go. As you can see I have been content for some time with my old system, so obviously having the latest and greatest isn't my top priority. But I will be in fact spending what I think to be a lot of money so is settling for last years models a wise choice? It's just getting unbearable to play games or even surf the web on my current system and I need to do something about it :( . I know that if I waited for the Sandy Bridge issues to get resolved, or even waited for bulldozer for that matter, when I do pull the trigger and make my purchase the CPU manufacturers will already be talking about their next best thing. I know that I will be just fine with building a system based on the AM3 socket, when it comes time for an upgrade again in few years I can most likely find a phenom II x4 or x6 and they should be really cheap. But with AMD's issues right now I'm afraid I won't have those options. Who knows right? Thank in advance for any help you guys can give me.
Office PC:
AMD Phenom II x4 955 | ASUS M4A87TD Evo | 8GB ddr3 | EVGA GTX 970 4GB | Antec BP 550 | Antec 300 | Win 7 64
HTPC:
Intel i5-4570 | ASRock H87M | 8GB ddr3 | EVGA GTX 960 2GB | Corsair CX430M | Fractal Design Node 605 | Win 7 64

Roberi
Gerbil

Re: My new AMD build (first time builder)

Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:25 am

Hey!

First off, you want a 64-bit OS if you want to use all the RAM, which I guess you do.

I would also consider getting a 6850 in stead of a 5770. The price is only about $24 higher (save some on that PSU?). I got the ASUS version, and it works like a charm. Cool, quiet and i run SC2 at about Ultra settings. A small step up in price would help your fps a lot.

The ASUS 6850 is on Newegg here: http://bit.ly/ibe2tX
MSI 890FXA-GD70 / AMD Phenom II X6 1055T / Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333MHz 4GB / ASUS Radeon HD 6850 1GB "DirectCU" / Corsair CX 500W / In-Win Fanqua / **** HDDs (Next upgrade)

StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:10 am

As stated before, those are really the only things I could point out. I'm a pretty big advocate of quad-core machines for people who keep their computers for a while. Not only do they offer some level of future-proofing (if you use that phrase) but I honestly feel like it makes my computer "snappier". It doesn't perform any better....but I can really notice being able to do a crap-ton of stuff at the same time without a hick-up. I've been on people's C2D and Phenom II X2 based machines and if I start getting enough going I can feel a big of a hick-up where everything stalls for just a second. Just my 2 cents.

64-bit OS for sure.

5770 is old news, GTX460 1GB or HD6850 1GB (lean more towards the second one, its a newer product)

HX650 is a beautiful power supply, but I feel you are over doing it. A quality ~500w PSU would do this build fine. This would allow you to get a better GPU or possibly that quad core I was talking about. Though, I do see that it comes as a combo with the RAM which could make it a good deal.

Either way, this looks like a great system.

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:08 am

I'm going to get bludgeoned for this, but an SSD has no business in that build. Get yourself a Samsung F3 1TB and then a 2TB backup drive - There's an inexpensive Samsung F4 2TB at Newegg.

64 GB is not enough space for you. Your going to fill that drive up after installing just a few games.

If you go with the F3 1TB and the F4 2TB you'll end up with one of the fastest mechanical drives, ton's of drive space for everything you need, and loads of backup space to work with and get yourself a rock solid backup scheme going. Oh, and you'll save a few tens of dollars that you can put toward better video card.

The 5770 is nice an all - I have one myself - but not what I'd call a good buy at $155, and not really going to last you a long time - if you put just a little more money into the video card you will end up with a SUBSTANTIALLY better card that will last you longer and play games better. A 6850, 460 1GB, or 6870 are all probably within reach.

Your PSU is more than you need

The XMS memory isn't worth the money AT ALL

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
    Item #: N82E16827135204
    $17.99

Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    Item #: N82E16811129066
    $54.99

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    Item #: N82E16822152185
    $64.99

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD204UI 2TB 5400 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    Item #: N82E16822152245
    $79.99

ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
    Item #: N82E16813131631
    $149.99

ASUS EAH6850 DC/2DIS/1GD5/V2 Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
    $20.00 Mail-in Rebate Card
    $179.99 (159.99 after rebate)

CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power
    Item #: N82E16817139004
    $15.00 Mail-in Rebate Card
    $89.99 ($75 after rebate)

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-4GBNT
    Item #: N82E16820231253
    $39.99

AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2GHz Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Desktop Processor - C3 Revision HDZ555WFGMBOX
    $89.99

Subtotal: $767.91
    Shipping: $13.86
    Rebates: $35

Total: 746.77 after rebates.

And, since I'm the sort that hates losing a role of the dice, I just don't roll --- I'd take the spare in the budget and go with a X4 955.

So, I got you
    a better mobo (the mobo I specified is exactly the one I'd get if I was buying right now)

a better gpu

more hard drive space by far and at less cost, but not solid state

the build I specified performs much better in games and even costs less

DarkMikaru
Gerbil

Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:27 am

Flip Mode Squad beat me to the punch, as I agree with 80% of what he suggests. It is just great to have so many options these days. I am a huge fan of getting the best bang for your buck and AMD has always been able to deliver on that in spades.

As Flip Mode was saying, I think he is 100% right on just passing on an SSD for now. I've seen Windows 7 use up 60GB partitions in a matter of months. Now mind you these particular machines were also used by family members who all had thier own profiles. So if you plan on having this as your family's main machine I wouldn't recommend it. Flip is right, take that money and spend it on 2 F3's. One drive for Windows, Programs, etc and the second as a pure backup drive. And while we are on the subject of storage I'll let you in on a secret. You should create several drive partitions. Most every machine I build for clients, family, friends, etc has at least 3.

C:\Windows (Let windows do windows...don't put your useless crap here! lol)
D:\Programs (Create swap file first so it is at the front of partition: 1536 - 1536MB will suffice)
E:\Games (Install all your games here)
F:\Media ( Put all your music, videos, documents & pictures here)

Why? Very simple reason. Peoples computers get slow over time because everything they do ends up on the Windows drive(partition). Its like having a 5bedroom house and your only limited to using the Living room for everything! You cook, eat, sleep, watch tv, store all your crap in this one room. But over time its going to be a b&*^% to start looking for things once you have to much "stuff". Now, look at your house or apartment now. You keep your stuff separated and you can find it easier right? Thats my lame analogy for why I do it. But it works. I've checked out customers machines years later to find old Socket 754 Sempron machines still running as quickly as the day I built them. It won't make your machine faster, but will help prevent performance degradation in the long run.
Anyway for the same money you can get 30x the storage!! Sounds like a win win to me.

As for the CPU, the 555 is a good solid choice and all around performer. It's a great little CPU, but when it comes to gaming you'd probably be better served by the X3 450 @ 3.2Ghz. I remember the 3Ghz 440 was recommended last year as the best gaming CPU under 100 bones, so I could only assume the 3.2 would be a little better. I built a gaming PC based off the 440 CPU & 5770 GPU last October for a client and I was in awe at how I threw any benchmark its way and it just didn't sweat at all. My client also had the 4GB of GSkill ram Flip suggested and she was quite pleased. Amazing how prices drop... 4GB then was 100 bucks. Sad that its less than half that now. lol

He is also right on your power supply. Unless you plan on buying a second 5770 / 6850 to run in CrossFire (SLI) thats just over kill and lowers the power efficiency of your machine. I almost always go with Ultra PSU's. Stable Voltages, damn near silent operation, and rock solid reliability. I've had my Ultra Xfinity 500w for 5years now running daily with zero problems. I've also never had to replace one for clients either. And with a LifeTime warranty you just can't beat it.

Sorry to have such a big post, I'll rap it up.

Antec Three Hundred Illusion 54.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811129066

AMD AthlonII X3 450 3.2Ghz 79.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819103886

BIOSTAR TA870+ Full ATX Motherboard 89.99
http://www.frys.com/product/6241550

G.Skill Ripjaws 4GB DDR3 Memory 39.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820231307

2 x Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200rpm HDD 129.98
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822152185

Sapphire Radeon HD5770 1GB VC 139.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814102873

Ultra LSP550 550w Power Supply 49.99
http://www.compusa.com/applications/Sea ... No=3276574

Total: 584.92
Shipping: 7.33 (for me) so say at least 15 for u.

Final Total: 599.92

DUDE... you can't beat that. You'd pay that for just an Intel CPU & Motherboard! lol If I were you, thats what I would do. Remember, no need to get the latest & greatest like you said. Your new build is ATX industry standard now, so if you need more power it won't be a problem to upgrade in the future. Hope I was able to help man. Good Luck.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:28 am

Skullzer wrote:
Be easy on me, I'm a newbie and it's my first time posting on TR or any other tech forum for that matter.
Welcome to the Tech Report!

Skullzer wrote:
I live in CA USA, will be purchasing hardware online- Newegg, tigerdirect, amazon, etc. whatever has the lowest prices
Since Directron is based in Houston, you might save enough on California state sales taxes to make them a good source for some of your components.

Skullzer wrote:
OS: Windows 7 home premium $0 (I have a copy already) -For what I'm going to be using my computer for which is better, 64bit or 32bit?
You definitely want 64-bit Windows.

Skullzer wrote:
CPU: Phenom II x2 555 BE -I have been going back and forth on whether to get a x2 555 BE or x4 955 BE.
I suggest starting out with the Phenom II X4 955BE if your budget can stand it.

Skullzer wrote:
MOBO: ASUS M4A87TD EVO
This one or the Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 are good choices.

Skullzer wrote:
PSU: Corsair 650HX -I think 650W might be a little overkill for my complete setup
A good quality 430-watt power supply would be sufficient for your build. This OCZ StealthXstream II 500 for $50 -15MIR would save some of your budget.

Skullzer wrote:
Storage: Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB $125 and WD Black 1TB $90
I would switch this up to something like the 80GB OCZ Vertex 2 and 1TB Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3, but the idea of an SSD for your OS and a hard-drive for your large applications (games) is sound. The less expensive Samsung hard-drive runs quieter and cooler than the Western Digital drive while providing essentially equal performance.

Skullzer wrote:
Video Card: MSI R5770 Hawk Radeon HD 5770 1GB
As the others have said, you'll probably want something a bit more powerful for gaming at higher resolutions. Radeon HD6850 or GeForce GTX460 1GB in the $165-$185 range would provide better gaming experiences. In the $250 range, Radeon HD6950 is a strong performer.

Skullzer wrote:
Case: Antec 300
In another thread, I wrote:
Oddly enough, the Three Hundred Illusion is currently $7 less expensive at Newegg. This is exactly the same case populated with LED fans. The "Illusion" version also has LED fans installed in the two front mounting locations that are empty in the regular Three Hundred. If you don't mind the blue glow, the Three Hundred Illusion is currently the better value.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:10 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
the idea of an SSD for your OS and a hard-drive for your large applications (games) is sound

It's a real bummer, spending all that money on an SSD and then putting your games on a secondary drive. This also leaves the build without a dedicated backup drive. Bah, my feelings are clear, I won't linger on it.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:40 pm

flip-mode wrote:
This also leaves the build without a dedicated backup drive.
USB 3.0 docking station
or Hot-swappable SATA drive bay
+ 2 TB storage drives
+ Safe deposit box
?

flip-mode wrote:
I believe that you could find significantly less expensive components here that would do the job. The ones that I suggested were $88 less. The rest of your list looks fine to me.

If the budget won't allow for the expense of an SSD, you can certainly build a decent gaming computer without one. An SSD would provide noticeable improvements for non-gaming tasks. The graphics card is the most important component for in-game performance. We could spend the $88 to upgrade from the Radeon HD6850 to the HD6950 and forgo the SSD as you suggested, or we could skip the backup and get the SSD.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:26 pm

That SSD needs to go. Spend the money on a better GPU.

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:11 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
flip-mode wrote:
I believe that you could find significantly less expensive components here that would do the job.
Absolutely true, those are just my recommendations. That mobo has been very highly reviewed and I recommend Corsair PSUs as a matter of principle :lol: but other PSUs are surely fine too.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:20 pm

If you're committed to Corsair, how about the 650TX for $90 -10 code "EMCKHJB23" -20 MIR ?

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:25 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
If you're committed to Corsair, how about the 650TX for $90 -10 code "EMCKHJB23" -20 MIR ?

Yeah, that definitely clinches it!

I.S.T.
Gerbil XP

Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:43 pm

To everyone recommending the new 2 TB Samsung F4s: There's a firmware bug, and it can lead to data corruption. A firmware update has been released, but A. The version number is the same. B. Drives won't show up with that firmware preloaded until next month probably. They have to have a manufacturing date of January 2011 to be completely safe.

Sadly, I bought one of those...

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:47 pm

I ordered one of those 2 TB Samsung HD204UI Spinpoint F4 drives this week. :-? I'm still having sleep/resume problems with the 2 TB WD20EARS Caviar Green drive in my HTPC.

I.S.T.
Gerbil XP

Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:23 pm

This would be way more forgivable if the *******************************************ing firmware version would change upon flashing the drive.

Not changing it is just, ugh. Not buying a Samsung HD for another three years, and replacing this one ASAP. I'm not gonna repurpose it or anything. I'm just gonna toss it in the trash.

Anyway, as for the OP, I'd look into at least a three core CPU. Dual cores are starting to get a bit long in the tooth, and there are some games that just plain run better with more than two cores(Dragon Age: Origins, GTA4). A six core one is kind of pointless, though. Very few things need that particular kind of horse power.

Sorry if this advice has been given before. I was kinda skimming the thread when I saw that HD being recommended.

Oh, and depending on your monitor's resolution, you might want to get a faster card.

Skullzer
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:07 pm

Thanks for all the comments guys,

Here's what I changed for my build:

MOBO/CPU:
-stayed with the ASUS M4A87TD EVO but upgraded to the Phenom II x4 955 BE

Video Card:
-upgraded to the Radeon 6850, currently have the XFX version in my cart, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814150515

PSU:
-decided to stay with the Corsair 650HX, there were lots of options and I could have saved some money going with a 500W -550W PSU but I didn't see any that were modular and had great ratings like this one.

Storage:
-ditched the SSD and will go with 2 x 1TB Samsung F3's. The money I saved from ditching the SSD went directly to upgrading the video card and keeping the PSU. The only thing I need to figure out now is how I'm going to configure the HDD's for maximum performance and also being able to back up my data. I really like the idea of getting an HDD dock and maybe getting another HDD for dedicated back up along with the portable drive I already have. I read quite a few posts in the storage forums in regards to partitioning and what not and I guess I'll just cross that bridge once I receive my box of hardware.

RAM:
-decided to go with the G.Skill 4GB 1333 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820231179. Good price and solid reviews.

Case:
-Changed to the Antec 300 Illusion. I had actually looked at that case before my original post and it had always been $10 more than the regular 300. Now that it's actually cheaper I see no reason to buy it.

Optical Drive:
-stayed with the ASUS DVD burner $17.99

The total in my shopping cart is now $788 before tax and rebates. That's only $3 more than my original build but I get 2 more cores of processing and upgrade to the next generation of video card.
Office PC:
AMD Phenom II x4 955 | ASUS M4A87TD Evo | 8GB ddr3 | EVGA GTX 970 4GB | Antec BP 550 | Antec 300 | Win 7 64
HTPC:
Intel i5-4570 | ASRock H87M | 8GB ddr3 | EVGA GTX 960 2GB | Corsair CX430M | Fractal Design Node 605 | Win 7 64

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:39 pm

Skullzer wrote:
PSU: -decided to stay with the $126 -15MIR Corsair 650HX, there were lots of options and I could have saved some money going with a 500W -550W PSU but I didn't see any that were modular and had great ratings like this one.
Here are eight:
$70 -15MIR OCZ ModXStream Pro 600
$70 Antec TruePower New TP-550
$90 -10 code "EMCKHJB24" -30MIR OCZ ModXStream Pro 700
$80 Antec TruePower New TP-650
$83 -15MIR OCZ ModXStream Pro 500
$90 Silverstone Strider Plus ST50F-P
$100 SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze
$102 -20MIR CoolerMaster Silent Pro M600

Skullzer wrote:
Storage: -ditched the SSD and will go with 2 x 1TB Samsung F3's. The money I saved from ditching the SSD went directly to upgrading the video card and keeping the PSU. The only thing I need to figure out now is how I'm going to configure the HDD's for maximum performance and also being able to back up my data. I really like the idea of getting an HDD dock and maybe getting another HDD for dedicated back up along with the portable drive I already have. I read quite a few posts in the storage forums in regards to partitioning and what not and I guess I'll just cross that bridge once I receive my box of hardware.
Just get a single drive and format it as one large partition for now, then. 1 TB is plenty of space to begin with.

Have we saved enough to get that Radeon HD6950 yet? :wink:

Have you checked prices at Directron for your components? You'll probably pay a bit more shipping, but that could be less than the California state sales taxes on purchases from Newegg.

Crayon Shin Chan
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:50 pm

I really don't see the point of installing games on an SSD. When you think about it, if you're playing a fun game, the loading times are what, 5% of your total time spent playing the game? And games tend to have big files, and when properly defragged, 100MB/s sequential read from a hard drive isn't bad. And if it's a good game, hey, you can live with it.

Also, it seems a lot of new members are joining TR Forums lately? Welcome!
Mothership: FX-8350, 12GB DDR3, M5A99X EVO, MSI GTX 1070 Sea Hawk, Crucial MX500 500GB
Supply ship: [email protected], 12GB DDR3, M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
Corsair: Thinkpad X230

Skullzer
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:44 am

Have we saved enough to get that Radeon HD6950 yet? :wink:

Have you checked prices at Directron for your components? You'll probably pay a bit more shipping, but that could be less than the California state sales taxes on purchases from Newegg.

Alrighty, got a less expensive power supply and was able to save enough for a Radeon 6950, apparently it can be unlocked to a 6970, sweet!

as for Directron, I haven't had too much time to check it out yet but I will before the purchase is made. Thanks again for the feedback.
Office PC:
HTPC:

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:02 am

Do tell us that your monitor's native resolution is at least 1920x1080, or that HD6950 wouldn't be challenged.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:27 am

Crayon Shin Chan wrote:
I really don't see the point of installing games on an SSD. When you think about it, if you're playing a fun game, the loading times are what, 5% of your total time spent playing the game? And games tend to have big files, and when properly defragged, 100MB/s sequential read from a hard drive isn't bad. And if it's a good game, hey, you can live with it.

Also, it seems a lot of new members are joining TR Forums lately? Welcome!

I would assume that it depends on the game in question. Load times in some games can get ridiculous!

I personally use Symlinks to move games that are installed on other drives to my SSD as I play them. Works great, and I simply swap them out when I move on to something else.

Roberi
Gerbil

Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:52 am

Skullzer wrote:
The total in my shopping cart is now $788 before tax and rebates. That's only $3 more than my original build but I get 2 more cores of processing and upgrade to the next generation of video card.

The advantages of a good community!

I'm sure you will be very happy with this build. Good luck and have fun putting it together!

/R
MSI 890FXA-GD70 / AMD Phenom II X6 1055T / Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333MHz 4GB / ASUS Radeon HD 6850 1GB "DirectCU" / Corsair CX 500W / In-Win Fanqua / **** HDDs (Next upgrade)

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:35 am

Skullzer wrote:
Alrighty, got a less expensive power supply and was able to save enough for a Radeon 6950
That is such a good decision, too. Very good.
JustAnEngineer wrote:
Do tell us that your monitor's native resolution is at least 1920x1080, or that HD6950 wouldn't be challenged.
Even if he doesn't, I'll argue that it'll be more "future proof", for lack of a better term, than a lesser video card. Even though I'm on a 1600x1200 monitor and a 5770 seems to play pretty much everything just fine (plays Crysis Warhead at "gamer" settings and 2x AA), if I needed a video card right now I'd be very strained to choose between the 6870, 6950, or 560, but I'd get one of those with the strong hope that it'd keep up with games for the next 3 years, maybe 4. Heck, my almost-3-year-old-4850 is still almost fast enough for 1600x1200 action in just about every title. It will do Crysis at pretty decent settings as long as I turn off the AA.

Skullzer
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:14 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:

Yeah, I have a 21.5in acer that's 1080p and has Hdmi input. Nothing too special but it will look very nice with the new system.
Office PC:
HTPC:

Skullzer
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:02 pm

Hello again,

Does anyone have a list of system tests I should complete on the new system? I just want to make sure everything is stable and performance is where it should be. I'll be putting everything together this weekend.
Office PC:
HTPC:

gbcrush
Gerbil Elite

Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:42 pm

I'm a big advocate of not using the stock cooler (I dont think I saw anyone mentiong buying a HSF in their suggestions).

If you can add another $40 to your budget, you can get yourself a good mid-range heatsink (The Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus seem to be popular around here), and a good 120mm fan to cool it.

I know you mentioned not needing it because you arent going to OC, but it's not just about keeping the CPU at an acceptable temperature level. Yes, your stock HSF can do that (mostly). But an better heatsink will drop the CPU temperatures by a good deal, get that heat off your CPU which means a healthier system and more headroom (you'll appreciate it when summer comes). A better fan means you'll keep the heatsink cooler then the stock fan ever could.

And the most important part, your system will be quieter doing it. That's two wins right there.
Sabina - i7-3930k | P9x79 Pro | PH-TC14PE w/ 2x TY-140 | 16GB DDR3-1600 1.25V | 2x Samsung 830 256GB | GTX680
Circe - Disconnected and Disconcerted

riviera74
Gerbil Elite

Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:20 pm

Skullzer wrote:
Hello again,

Does anyone have a list of system tests I should complete on the new system? I just want to make sure everything is stable and performance is where it should be. I'll be putting everything together this weekend.

Hi Skullzer. I saw your setup and I have a question: why a Spinpoint 1TB when you can get a WD Caviar Green 2TB for the same price? WD20EARS
Omen by HP Desktop: Core i5-7400, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050, 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Skullzer
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:48 pm

I got the 1tb samsung for $55. I will be getting a WD 2tb for backup storage though.
Office PC:
HTPC:

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:53 pm

gbcrush wrote:
If you can add another $40 to your budget, you can get yourself a good mid-range heatsink (The Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus seem to be popular around here), and a good 120mm fan to cool it.
$29.

Skullzer
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:45 pm

You know, I didn't order a CPU cooler but I don't think I can pass up that coolermaster for $29! Thanks for the heads up on that.
Office PC:
HTPC: