Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

mrfixit
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Compatibility issues windows v. cellular types?

Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:34 pm

[b]OK, here it goes "again"![/b]

Incompatibility....., this is, [i]windows downloads [/i]such as wma, wav, and the like that were popular with PCs everywhere. Particularly those using the mechanics of Windows Media Player.

These are not or are fast becoming [b]incompatible[/b] with the new cells, particularly those using browser formats for higher communication formats.

It seems everyone would prefer a "synced" text or the like that can be viewed via WIFI connections and cell.

Unless I'm a "dinosaur"..... :-? ? And this is quite possible, as I am of age (for a while now), most persons still open content with a PC.

Someone tell me the "bad news" or give me a "workable/researchable" solution.

Thank you!

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Re: Compatibility issues windows v. cellular types?

Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:25 am

I am confused as to what you are asking. Which one is it?
1. You want to play "older types" like wmv's on the new cell phones? or
2. You want to play the new cell phone type media (.mp4, .3gp) files on desktop PCs?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

mrfixit
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:03 am

Clarification: Where a Windows Media file is used to post pictures, slideshows, or movies on-line for downloading to another PC. There is no "conflict" between formats as they are compatible between the two users.

However, if placed in an email format with a link (movie or the like), and the email is sent to a cell using new browser formats, there is a conflict between usable formats. Not sure why this is but it is reported by various cell phone users. Of course I am assuming they are savy, where converting or downloading to their phones.

I am looking into case specific issues and trying to solve them individually.

I was just wondering if there is a "one-solution-fits-all".

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:36 am

I'm still confused, but I think it is #1.

mrfixit
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:33 pm

Not sure why this is so "confusing" ?

Again....., "in the past", a file utilizing a windows media program was compatible with practically all PCs.

However at the dawn of cellular use, where there was no texting or browsing, it was again a non issue.

Enter "media supported" cell phones which can browse and upload/download. Apparently and according to the users of these phones, there is difficulty viewing the windows related programs on their phones.

The question(s):

1. Is this in fact true? Y / N

2. If true, is there a program on the "PC user" end which will allow a cell phone user of any type or brand download the files using a Windows Media, with full compatibility?

If you are "clueless".... No need to respond.

Basically I am canvassing the tech community to see if others have encountered the same challenges with their Windows Media related programs.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:36 pm

So basically you're asking if there are any cell phones that support *.wma & *.wmv files and if not, what format should they be converted to for maximum flexibility. The answer to the latter is *.mp3 and *.mp4 probably. The former, well I'd say very few support them outside of the Windows Phone 7 lineup, but I don't know specifics.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:33 pm

And conversion can be pretty painless. WMP will rip into MP3 (as of course will virtually any other media player) and there's no shortage of apps that will do transcoding. For that matter, iTunes will silently convert your WMA files into whatever makes iDevices happy, from what I've seen; I doubt the sync apps for other brands will be quite that draconian/simple, but I would imagine some offer the option.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:27 am

UberGerbil wrote:
And conversion can be pretty painless. WMP will rip into MP3 (as of course will virtually any other media player) and there's no shortage of apps that will do transcoding. For that matter, iTunes will silently convert your WMA files into whatever makes iDevices happy, from what I've seen; I doubt the sync apps for other brands will be quite that draconian/simple, but I would imagine some offer the option.

The Zune software which powers the WP7 will transcode files to a format the device supports as well.