Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Vrock
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Bulletstorm!

Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:03 pm

Played the demo the other night and I'll be picking this up for the PS3. Has anyone else picked it up? What are your thoughts? I think it's so cartoony stupid over-the-top that it's gonna be fun.

mikehodges2
Gerbil Elite

Re: Bulletstorm!

Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:12 pm

Can't wait for the PC demo, wanna try it out before I buy it..
Also gotta control the budget a bit, cos Crysis 2 and Portal 2 are also imminent and definitely gonna be bought too :)

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:42 pm

I'm madly in love with epic, so I'll probably pick it up at some point.If only my GPU wasn't a Mobility Radeon 4570 with 256MB of VRAM... :(
Krogoth wrote:
Care to enlightenment me?

Vrock
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:38 pm

grantmeaname wrote:
I'm madly in love with epic, so I'll probably pick it up at some point.If only my GPU wasn't a Mobility Radeon 4570 with 256MB of VRAM... :(

My GPU's a variant of the 7800GT and it plays it fine.

Consoles have their advantages. :)

BehemothJackal
Gerbil

Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:39 pm

I've read that it's only around 4-5 hours long. I'll probably pick it up for PC once the price drops drastically and if I found the demo enjoyable.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:49 pm

It looks amusing in that clownish sort of way. So insanely over the top and gratuitous (not the kind that deletes his own posts, either) as to be comedy. I dunno, I'll play the demo but I have enough to play right now without spending money on more games.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:02 am

For those wanting to grab those for PC....Stay away from it! It is a bad port, bug filled and it all starts with GFWL. You know the last GFWL game I had gave me so much trouble I swore off it. I cant get GFWL to even recognize the CD key I used to install the frakking game!

So anyways after non legitly 'hacking' my way to the game it really wasnt worth it, for PC. :?

Better to buy for PS3-Xbox.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:05 am

If you do have it for PC, Ars has an article that you might be interested in: Link
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

michael_d
Gerbil Elite

Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:48 pm

This game is some sort of parody/joke on shooters. Charging people $60 for it is a robbery.

Vrock
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:57 pm

michael_d wrote:
This game is some sort of parody/joke on shooters. Charging people $60 for it is a robbery.
Reading your post for free was a robbery.

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:09 pm

michael_d wrote:

There's no problem with a well done parody. It seems Bulletstorm on Xbox 360 is excellent but a not so great job was done on the PC release. That sucks, but gameplay itself can still have merit.

blitzy
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:24 pm

My flatmate got that for Xbox360 today. It seems like it could be fun, from what I've seen so far it looks like it will be a solid, but not extraordinary game. The game engine is nice, and it does look like it has some fun gameplay mechanics. I think the characters look too much like gears of war, and the plot seems a bit pointless.

I think the computer and video games review sounds about right, the plot and gameplay are going in different directions... on the one hand its trying to be humorous, but then the plot still tries to carry out serious objectives... kinda odd. Not unplayable im sure, but not destined for greatness either.

michael_d
Gerbil Elite

Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:04 pm

Vrock wrote:
michael_d wrote:

************. Go ahead and buy it for every platform and report back to us which one you enjoyed the most.
Last edited by Captain Ned on Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Personal attack removed.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:57 am

Ok so I played quite a lot last night and its actually a fun game. There are some great mechanics in it The dino level was awesome!!

The sniper rifle is pure fun.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

canmnanone
Gerbil

Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:33 am

if your going to spend 60 bucks on this game better do it on ps3 or xbox. dont buy it on pc its just too expensive with unfinished game. read the steam forum and you will see what i mean on the pc side of this game. fyi i dont own the game.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:52 am

canmnanone wrote:
if your going to spend 60 bucks on this game better do it on ps3 or xbox. dont buy it on pc its just too expensive with unfinished game. read the steam forum and you will see what i mean on the pc side of this game. fyi i dont own the game.

There is a difference in the retail PC version and the Steam Digital download version. Not in terms of gameplay but overhead. The retail version was patched yesterday and it is playable. I spent hours playing it. Yes theres still some .ini tweaking need but really most PC gamers are used to tweaking .ini's.

Really why comment at all if you dont own the game. Anything you say is hearsay at that point. :roll:

in the end the game is quite fun and over the top. The leash is just fun period. I just wish you were able to leash more environmental objects.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Vrock
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:31 am

michael_d wrote:
Vrock wrote:
michael_d wrote:

************. Go ahead and buy it for every platform and report back to us which one you enjoyed the most.
I'll just get it for the PS3, thanks.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:10 pm

Vrock wrote:
I'll just get it for the PS3, thanks.
I missed you. ;)
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:42 pm

michael_d wrote:
Vrock wrote:
michael_d wrote:

I don't think it really matters; play it on your preferred platform and just enjoy it. The hate for GFWL is incredibly overdone. The console/PC debate is extremely overwrought. I remember a time when I was a kid where playing games was just playing games.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:03 pm

No, it isn't. GFWL ruined Bioshock 2, which otherwise would be possibly my favorite game, period, and is nigh unplayable.
Krogoth wrote:

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:18 pm

I hear stuff like that all the time, sometimes about GFWL games that I've played extensively (GTA4) and I still don't see any REASONS only alot of BLAME.

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:41 pm

REASON: GFWL crashes, right before successfully logging in, preventing me for playing the game. This happens about 80% of the time the game is launched, and across three reinstalls of Windows 7.
BLAME: On GFWL, because it's what's crashing (Send error says so).
Krogoth wrote:

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:57 pm

Other than GFWL recently having to download and update 4 times in a row before successfully logging in, it hasn't given me much trouble. Of course, I'm normally logged into my Live account for Messenger and Hotmail, anyway.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:04 pm

grantmeaname wrote:
REASON: GFWL crashes, right before successfully logging in, preventing me for playing the game. This happens about 80% of the time the game is launched, and across three reinstalls of Windows 7.
BLAME: On GFWL, because it's what's crashing (Send error says so).

It might be crashing for you, but my hunch is that you have some other issue. I don't own Bioshock 2 but I own plenty of other GFWL games and they all run fine. Street Fighter IV, GTA IV, Stormrise (which is awful, btw), Gears of War (which has different non-related issues with vsync), and a couple others that elude me right now.

canmnanone
Gerbil

Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:59 pm

tanker27 wrote:
canmnanone wrote:

There is a difference in the retail PC version and the Steam Digital download version. Not in terms of gameplay but overhead. The retail version was patched yesterday and it is playable. I spent hours playing it. Yes theres still some .ini tweaking need but really most PC gamers are used to tweaking .ini's.

Really why comment at all if you dont own the game. Anything you say is hearsay at that point. :roll:

in the end the game is quite fun and over the top. The leash is just fun period. I just wish you were able to leash more environmental objects.

that comment was based on people from steam bitching about the pc version of the game. not that i didnt or dont like the game. but as for me will wait when it goes for 15 bucks on steam.

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:06 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
It might be crashing for you, but my hunch is that you have some other issue. I don't own Bioshock 2 but I own plenty of other GFWL games and they all run fine. Street Fighter IV, GTA IV, Stormrise (which is awful, btw), Gears of War (which has different non-related issues with vsync), and a couple others that elude me right now.

Your hunch may say that. However, my computer says 'GFWL has stopped working', and I'm more inclined to believe it than your hunch.
Krogoth wrote:

BehemothJackal
Gerbil

Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:16 am

That's crazy, I've never had problems with GFWL. I have Win 7 x64 Ultimate with Dirt 2, GTA IV, BioShock 2, Section 8, Halo 2, Batman Arkham Asylum, Fallout 3, Dawn of War II, Red Faction: Guerilla, and F1 2010. You could say that I intentionally seek out GFWL games, well actually I do. I'm a sucker for the achievements.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:57 am

grantmeaname wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

Your hunch may say that. However, my computer says 'GFWL has stopped working', and I'm more inclined to believe it than your hunch.

The only common denominator in all your GFWL problems is you. It's working fine for...if not everyone else, then a large percentage. ;)

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:38 am

The interbutts like the PC version of Bulletstorm. That said, it'll probably be a while before I pick it up, mostly for want of free time. Maybe it'll have dropped to $35 or so this summer.
Krogoth wrote: