Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

BehemothJackal
Gerbil
Topic Author

Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay(2009) Low FPS

Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:41 pm

I recently purchased CoR: Assault on Dark Athena a few weeks ago when it was on Sale on Steam. Last night I started playing the enhanced Escape from Butcher Bay, and for the most part the performance was abysmal with settings cranked to the max. I can run the majority of games on max - near max settings on my laptop. Games such as Crysis: Warhead, Metro 2033, BFBC2 all run flawlessly. I have a Asus G73JH w/ Core i7-720qm, 8 GB RAM, and a Mobility 5870 with the 11.2 catalysts. I'm currently deployed so the only system I have available is this laptop, but I can't help but worry that I'll have issues when I get home as well.

I've tried several things such as turn off MSAA, post processing effects (motion blurr, and DoF), and setting low shadows, yet the game still performs pretty poorly. I'll go out on a limb and say that it's due to poor optimization as it's a console port, but I'm curious if there are any underlying issues, or if someone has tips to boost performance. If I can run Crysis: Warhead at 1080p with 2x AA, volumetric effects, post processing, particles, and shaders on enthusiast, and the rest on gamer settings while achieving 30+ FPS, I can't see why this game would run so poorly. I understand that it's a different engine and everything, but a game that is happening indoors in relatively small rooms and the engine doesn't have as much to render like the CryEngine 2 with its outrageous draw distance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Re: Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay(2009) Low

Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:48 am

Yeah, it was a real poor console conversion. My friend got it back when it came out and promptly tossed it in the bin. It was a hack job with the bare minimum to get it running on the PC, and the converters didn't waste much time making sure it ran smooth or well.

lethal
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:22 am

The original game was made for the Xbox 1, back then when single core processors were still the norm and all those fancy multithreaded stuff was "the future", and the PC version has some issues with multicore PCs. There was a patch or something similar that fixes this issue (my google-fu is failing at the moment), but you can just alt-tab and set the affinity to only one core via task manager and play normally. The game itself is pretty good though :).
The Internet wrote:
"[The] 360 starts at the factory, moves to retail shelves, into consumer's homes, back to Microsoft. So THAT'S why Microsoft called it the 360...It all comes full-circle ;)"

BehemothJackal
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:14 am

This is not about the original Xbox/PC release. This is for the remake with a new engine that came with Assault on Dark Athena.

BehemothJackal
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:53 pm

I changed the color settings from 16 bit to 8 bit. Game runs smooth as butter now, and I notice no visual difference. Thanks for the help :)