Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, morphine

SurfinBird
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Installed new P4 socket 478 - won't POST

Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:22 am

So I'm not exactly pro when it comes to computer repair, but I thought I would give switching a socket 478 celeron with a slightly better P4 chip that I bought used in one of my old computers a try. I was overconfident in my abilities however, and removed a thin strip of aluminum like metal stuck to the bottom of the heatsink when I was cleaning the old thermal paste off, for no good reason at all.

At any rate, I put new thermal paste on but am lacking this thin strip of whatever it was on the heatsink, and I'm thinking that's why my new p4 chip won't POST. .. The computer powers on and the fan starts running, but no calculations are done whatsoever as the processor isn't working.

Solutions?
Thanks so much.
| AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ | ATI Radeon HD 3850 512MB | 4GB DDR2-800 4-4-4-12 | Asus M3A-770 | 320GB WD SATA HDD | Antec EarthWatts 500W PSU |

Heinrich
Gerbil In Training

Re: Installed new P4 socket 478 - won't POST

Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:08 am

If you removed the thermal pad, and any adhesive under it, you should be OK. Check the compatibility of the new CPU at the OEM or motherboard manufacturer's website and see if there are any BIOS updates you can install. Also check for bent pins.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:41 pm

It is very likely that you will need a bios update for your board. Most likely it doesnt have the info about the chip and has no idea what it is, thus no post. Put your old chip back in and get the bios updated to the newest one.

FuturePastNow
Gerbil Elite

Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:15 am

You've also (probably) gone from a 533MHz FSB to 800MHz. If the northbridge is 855 or older, it won't like that one bit.

mikeymike
Gerbil Elite

Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:29 am

A piece of advice for any future CPU upgrade attempts is to double-check with the board manufacturer, either for a CPU support list (preferably*), or failing that, match up the FSB, multiplier settings, etc, with the processor you're planning on using. If possible, double-check the processor's requirements by googling for its model number. I also tend to read through the BIOS updates for the board to see if there's anything about processor support upgrades. Also, check the board for jumpers and find out what they do. Most boards these days (from the last five years at a guess) are pretty much jumper-less so you don't have to change multiplier settings by hand though.

* - CPU support lists sometimes aren't kept up-to-date.