Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

The Lord of the Flies
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Backing-Up 40GB HDD Onto Other HDD to Re-Install OS....

Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:06 pm

I freed-up quite a lot of space recently on all three of my HDDs that were over-filled.

Unfortunately I've having the performance probs again, and much worse than before (maybe from keeping the computer on way too much?). It's so bad that it can't even seem to maintain a consistent online connection anymore! I should re-install my OS.

First I should back-up the 40GB Primary HDD. Plenty of space on my 500GB Auxiliary HDD. So make an HDD-image, yes? And if so, how to do that? I've never backed-up data that way, but I assumed there was such a thing as an HDD-image, since there all kinds of other images to be made and had out there.

It's not that I actually wanna back-up every bit of data, but I would like to retain "excess scraps" from like my installed prgs, which will have to be re-installed (saved games, text file notes, etc., whatever). I also wanna keep my Favorites too. And some other stuff hehehe

What do you smart and excellent guys say? (I sure wish I knew as much as you guys do! You guys are like the CyberGods or something! hehehehe)
Last edited by The Lord of the Flies on Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There has been multiple Fatal Errors in TheTechReportForums.ini

Utilize Alternatives (Y/N)?
>Y

FATALITIES!
The Lord of the Flies wins!

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Backing-Up 40GB HDD Onto Other HDD to Re-Install OS....

Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:41 pm

i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:09 pm

When are you getting that totally new build of yours anyways? Looks like all the patchwork stuff you are doing is not helping anymore. Perhaps it is time to let go.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

The Lord of the Flies
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:21 pm

Heh! Daddy doesn't have the money right now, Sweetheart! Heh!

Just kidding! hehehe

But seriously, I'll have that when I have the money to spend on it. Meanwhile, I can't go computerless, now can I? So, unless some great, good person will buy me a new computer (especially like the one I was wanting), I'm doing what I gotta do.

Please buy me a computer! PLEASE! :cry: I NEED NEW COMPUTER! BOO-hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo! :cry: :cry: :cry:

>Y

FATALITIES!

The Lord of the Flies
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:23 pm

DancinJack wrote:
Awesome! Thanks! I did that and now I'm in the long process of re-installing my programs.

I have one problem though: I was running on an OEM installation of WinXP Pro w/ SP3. To re-install I had to use my own copy. It was purchased approximately two years ago from eBay for $85.00US because it seemed to be the only way it was available at that time. It looks completely legitimate in every way. However M$ says the CD-key is fake, even though it's printed on the "Certificate of Authenticity" on the booklet!

Bastards! I don't have $149 to give M$ to make it "real"! The previous installation does remain (AFAIK) on the .TIB file (the backup of my previous master drive) created by the Acronis True Image Home prg....

>Y

FATALITIES!

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:42 pm

Rather than spending your valuable time mucking about with a slow and puny 0.040 TB hard-drive and a 10-year-old operating system, you really should consider upgrading. It costs only $62½, $64 or $65 to have a top-performing 1 TB 7200 rpm SATA II hard-drive delivered.

Acronis True Image could make an exact copy of your old partition, no activation required.
The Lord of the Flies wrote:
WinXP Pro was purchased approximately two years ago from eBay Bastards! M$ says the CD-key is fake.
You got scammed on e-Bay. That makes you part of an extremely large club. Of course, Windows Vista has been out for over four years, so you were already buying obsolete software at that point.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

The Lord of the Flies
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:15 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
It costs only $62½, $64 or $65 to have a top-performing 1 TB 7200 rpm SATA II hard-drive delivered.
Excellent! I take PayPal, so send the money along :D hehehe But seriously I've got my eye on a 2TB HDD for ~$90US.
JustAnEngineer wrote:
Acronis True Image could make an exact copy of your old partition, no activation required.
Yeah, but that OS was *beep*ed, hence what I'm doing now. But if there's a way that the (or a) working OS and that non-counterfeit OS could be reconciled, well...
JustAnEngineer wrote:
The Lord of the Flies wrote:
WinXP Pro was purchased approximately two years ago from eBay[...] Bastards! M$ says the CD-key is fake.
You got scammed on e-Bay. That makes you part of an extremely large club. Of course, Windows Vista has been out for over four years, so you were already buying obsolete software at that point.
Umm, are you suggesting that my passing up the grand opportunity to switch to Vista from XP was a mistake...? :o ???

And yes, now there's Win7. But for now I still prefer to stick with WinXP, especially with this old heap of *beep* I'm using. And why not? Even though XP is no longer current, it's a damn good OS--many love it and even remember it fondly if they've moved on to 7. But more literally, WinXP is not completely 100% obsolete yet anyway even right now. The day will come when it will be, though--nobody should need to be told that that is inevitable. Then I will switch to 7, if I haven't already.

>Y

FATALITIES!

The Lord of the Flies
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:32 pm

Okay, I'm now continuing to restore various backed up files within the .TIB file. While I'm doing this, I noticed that I've accidentally backed-up a lot of 'Desktop.ini' and 'Thumbs.db' files within many dirs and sub-dirs.

Instead of spending literally hours unchecking each instance in each dir/sub-dir, is there a way that I can delete them from the back-up? Or better yet, is there a way I can restore all those dirs and contained files without restoring those dumb little files in there? Alternately, after I restore all, including those, is there maybe some kind of batch command (or whatever procedure) that will delete them from the restored dirs?

Thanks!

>Y

FATALITIES!