Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

Blur99
Gerbil
Topic Author

Can't connect to my wireless router.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:14 pm

I just reinstalled XP and the wireless PC card drivers.
The status light on the card is on.
XP notices my network but when I choose the network and click on "connect" it does nothing.
The router works with other devices.
I entered the "network key". And nothing.
Thanks in advance.
edit

mikeymike
Gerbil Elite

Re: Can't connect to my wireless router.

Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:25 pm

Up-to-date drivers? What XP service pack?

Blur99
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:34 pm

mikeymike wrote:
Up-to-date drivers? What XP service pack?

Thanks.

Yes. The drivers are up to date.
I just updated to XP sp2.
And it helped a little. But it is stuck on "Acquiring network address."

It works if I use ethernet but the wireless results in this.

ChAoZ
Gerbil First Class

Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:49 pm

Your problem could be caused by a number of things, but this is something easy to try that might help. Go to the Windows wireless connection icon by your clock. Click on it to bring up the wireless connection status window. Click on the "properties" button on the "general" tab. Pressing that button will bring up a new window. On that window, click on the "wireless Networks" tab and highlight the the name of the network you are trying to connect to under the "preferred network" section. Then click on the "properties button. Another window will come up and you will need to click on the "Authentication" tab. On this tab if there is a check in the box by "Enable IEEE..." you will need to take the check out of the box, click the OK button and give the adapter a minute to try to connect with your wireless network. If it still will not connect, go back to your wireless connection window and disconnect from your network and try to connect again.

I have had an number of wireless adapters do this to me in Windows XP. This procedure seems to always fix the connection problem for me. You can try it as it is an easy thing to try.

mikeymike
Gerbil Elite

Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:33 am

If you're using WPA2, change to XP SP3.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:54 am

mikeymike wrote:
If you're using WPA2, change to XP SP3.

Even if you're not, update to the latest Service Pack.

Blur99
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:56 am

ChAoZ wrote:
Your problem could be caused by a number of things, but this is something easy to try that might help. Go to the Windows wireless connection icon by your clock. Click on it to bring up the wireless connection status window. Click on the "properties" button on the "general" tab. Pressing that button will bring up a new window. On that window, click on the "wireless Networks" tab and highlight the the name of the network you are trying to connect to under the "preferred network" section. Then click on the "properties button. Another window will come up and you will need to click on the "Authentication" tab. On this tab if there is a check in the box by "Enable IEEE..." you will need to take the check out of the box, click the OK button and give the adapter a minute to try to connect with your wireless network. If it still will not connect, go back to your wireless connection window and disconnect from your network and try to connect again.

I have had an number of wireless adapters do this to me in Windows XP. This procedure seems to always fix the connection problem for me. You can try it as it is an easy thing to try.

The whole "authentication" tab options are grayed out. So I cant enable that box.
And I'll get the updates.

mikeymike
Gerbil Elite

Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:46 am

I hate to mention the obvious possibility, but if you have the wrong wireless password, it can get stuck on 'acquiring network address'.

Another possibility that has just sprung to mind is about whether you're using the exact same wireless adapter to connect to the router, because if the router has MAC address access control enabled, and you're using a different card (even if it is the same model as the previous card you used), it won't allow you to connect until that adapter's MAC address is in the allowed list.

Admittedly the usual symptom for the latter scenario is a constant disconnect/reconnect loop, but that can happen for the wrong wireless password too, even though the usual symptom for that is 'acquiring network address' forever.

Blur99
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:40 pm

mikeymike wrote:
I hate to mention the obvious possibility, but if you have the wrong wireless password, it can get stuck on 'acquiring network address'.

Another possibility that has just sprung to mind is about whether you're using the exact same wireless adapter to connect to the router, because if the router has MAC address access control enabled, and you're using a different card (even if it is the same model as the previous card you used), it won't allow you to connect until that adapter's MAC address is in the allowed list.

Admittedly the usual symptom for the latter scenario is a constant disconnect/reconnect loop, but that can happen for the wrong wireless password too, even though the usual symptom for that is 'acquiring network address' forever.

I'm using the same adapter.
I believe it is the right "network key" if that is what you mean by "password".

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:32 pm

Blur99 wrote:
mikeymike wrote:

Are you able to disable security altogether on your router? If so, try that - if you can connect, then it's most likely the password/key that is the problem.

Blur99
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:08 pm

cphite wrote:
Blur99 wrote:
mikeymike wrote:

Are you able to disable security altogether on your router? If so, try that - if you can connect, then it's most likely the password/key that is the problem.

I did that and it connects. I figured that was the problem.
However, how do fix that? I can't leave it without unsecured.

Shouldn't it ask me for the security password when I try to connect?
It doesn't and just tries to find the address.

wibeasley
Gerbil Elite

Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:14 pm

how many features do you want to enable? Do them one by one until you hit the problem. If you snag at a password, try a different encryption protocol. I'd try even WEP for diagnostic reasons, although you don't want to leave it on WEP.

Did you see mikeymike's suggestion about the MAC filter? Which features did you disable to get it working -or did you completely reset the router?

Blur99
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:23 pm

wibeasley wrote:
how many features do you want to enable? Do them one by one until you hit the problem. If you snag at a password, try a different encryption protocol. I'd try even WEP for diagnostic reasons, although you don't want to leave it on WEP.

Did you see mikeymike's suggestion about the MAC filter? Which features did you disable to get it working -or did you completely reset the router?

To get it to connect I just turned off security. So it must be something with that.

I'm using the same card I always used before. So the MAC address shouldn't be the cause.

Why doesn't it even ask for the security password before trying to connect?

Xp SP3 doesn't have WEP. So I have to use WPA and onwards.
Last edited by Blur99 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:31 pm

No - it won't ask you for the network key. It'll keep trying the one that's stored in there forever until you tell it different. You need to go into the properties for that connection and re-enter it manually.

Is WEP the only option you have? You might want to switch (if possible) to WPA/WPA2 which will allow you to use an actual password (as opposed to a key) and is actually much more secure.

Blur99
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:39 pm

cphite wrote:

No - it won't ask you for the network key. It'll keep trying the one that's stored in there forever until you tell it different. You need to go into the properties for that connection and re-enter it manually.

Is WEP the only option you have? You might want to switch (if possible) to WPA/WPA2 which will allow you to use an actual password (as opposed to a key) and is actually much more secure.

I mean it doesn't ask for the security password: the WPA password.

I use WPA and will up it to WPA2 later after it works.
I set the "network key" already and it ask for that and I type it in.

Maybe I should reset the router.
I'm using a Netgear router and a TP LINK adapter.