Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

J5
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Tue Jan 08, 2002 9:49 pm

Well as I said earlier I'm a pretty big newb when it comes to case modification. Do you think I should spend some extra cash on a pre-modded case that looks stellar or just go do it myself and have the satisfaction of a job well done? BTW i'm lazy...so hopefully nothing to complicated.

Dissonance
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jan 08, 2002 10:12 pm

This is a question I've been asking myself, being broke helps make the decision for me since neither is really an option :razz:

However, I'm not thinking I'd be able to do a great job on my first time out. If you have an older case (server/firewall or whatever) lying around I figure it's worth doing a little experimenting so that when you tackle your main box, you don't screw it up.

A full workshop of tools helps, too. Let's not forget that if you have to buy tools to do decent modding, and you're not planning on modding frequently, buying pre-modded might be the ticket.

Personally, I'd find a friend that knows what they're doing and buy them a case of beer to do some nice custom stuff for me.

dolemitecomputers
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jan 09, 2002 2:52 pm

When I first modded my case I looked at the two options of having someone do it for me or to doing it myself. If I did it myself I:
A: could save some money
B: make sure everything is exactly the way I want
I found out if I had someone do it:
A: I had no one close by that could so I would have to send the case to the person and pay for shipping to send it back to me
B: can't see final product until I get it

I went with the first choice. I didnt need a room full of tools. I simply got a dremel from walmart and a power drill. Both were cheap and around 30 dollars each. The drill was great for case modding but not any kind of industrial strength drill. Im not going to drill though a wall with it. I made sure I had everthing planned i.e. size of window number of fans etc. I then went at it. I also got advice from others on forums.
I know of a place that sells modded cases and you can configure them depending on the modification: http://www.wahoocomputers.com/index1.htm

J5
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Wed Jan 09, 2002 4:30 pm

Well right now I'm pretty much broke and do have access to tools. I'm thinking none of my friends would do it though...stingy suckas!! Either way maybe in a while I'll try installing a window in my ghetto basic beige case to try to spice it up.

NoDakn
Gerbil In Training

Case Mod...

Sat May 25, 2002 11:23 pm

If your good with your hands and hand tools....go for it. I've always had a ball doing it but everytime I finish I want to do another to push the envelope a bit farther. My only advise would be to establish a good plan of what you want to accomplish and how much you want to spend. It can be a black hole of cash but it's a rush to walk into a Lan party with the baddest looking box in the place.
Get your parts before you start, that way you aren't pacing around waiting for FedEx to come to the door each day. I also bought a second box to work on while I was using the latest box. Good luck.

boobyne
Gerbil XP

Thu Jun 27, 2002 3:05 pm

I bought a modded case: Lian Li w/ low speed 120mm chimney fan. I was glad to have it done for me, but could have done a better job cutting the hole. I think whoever cut it sniffed too much glue during lunch.