Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

waterloo
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Should I buy an Acer Sandy Bridge Laptop now?

Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:14 am

Hi I was just wondering if I should buy a sandy bridge laptop right now, currently I've found a good deal in the secondhand market, able to get it brand new in box for around 800USD, retail price in my country is around 950USD or so. So my question is, is it worth it for me to buy it right now? Cuz I will definitely need a laptop for school 3-4months from now, but I'm afraid prices will drop or something like that. Anyone can give me some opinions? thanks in advance!

Specifications :

[*]Intel® CoreTM i7-2630QM processor (2.0GHz with Turbo Boost up to 2.90GHz,6MB L3 cache)
[*]14" HD Acer CineCrystalTM LED-backlit TFT LCD
[*]640GB Hard Disk Drive, 4GB DDR3 RAM
[*]Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium
[*]Nvidia GeForce GT 540 with Nvidia Optimus Technology ( 1024MB of dedicated DDR3 VRAM)
[*]With 8X DVD-Super Multi double Layer drive
[*]Built-in Crystal Eye Webcam
[*]Built-in Wireless LAN- Acer InviLink™ Nplify™ 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™
[*]With Multi-in-1 Card Reader

P.S. Is Optimus really useful or more of a gimmick?

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Should I buy an Acer Sandy Bridge Laptop now?

Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:25 am

optimus works fine. It does increase battery life quite a bit. I'd say it's definitely a plus. 800 USD isn't a bad price for that system. I would want to be sure they still had the receipt in case something happened 6 months down the line. Otherwise, if you've got the money, i probably would. I personally don't expect prices to fall in the next 3-4 months.

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Should I buy an Acer Sandy Bridge Laptop now?

Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:32 am

My guess is that you could do better during back-to-school. That said, that is a guess, and my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.
Krogoth wrote:
Care to enlightenment me?