Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Starfalcon

mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Overclocking to the Max or Power/Performance OC

Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:37 am

I got a for you overclockers. When your overclocking do you run your CPU/GPU at the maximum stable overclock (overvolting etc.) or do you run your computer to what you think is the best performance/energy usage.

For example my 1055T maxes out a 3.75GHz OC. It needs 1.5V to do this. This draws close to 400W under full load. (LinX load)

I also have another BIOS setting where I have my 1055T at 3.57GHz @ 1.3875V. This draws around 275W under full load. (LinX load)

I am curious what your approach is.

If I am using my computer all day I usually use the second BIOS setting and the first if I know I am only going to game for an hour or two.
To Start Press Any Key'. Where's the ANY key?
If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing
You know, boys, a nuclear reactor is a lot like a woman. You just have to read the manual and press the right buttons.

Crayon Shin Chan
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Overclocking to the Max or Power/Performance OC

Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:01 am

The speed benefits from that 200MHz overclock are always outweighed by the wasted time that's used when I reboot to go into the BIOS to change to the second setting, so I leave mine at 3.709GHz all the time. It also needs 1.524V to reach that.

Then again, I live in a student dorm and don't pay for power.
Mothership: FX-8350, 12GB DDR3, M5A99X EVO, MSI GTX 1070 Sea Hawk, Crucial MX500 500GB
Supply ship: [email protected], 12GB DDR3, M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
Corsair: Thinkpad X230

mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:28 am

Crayon Shin Chan wrote:

Then again, I live in a student dorm and don't pay for power.

Thats how I used to be as well. Then when the power bill hits anywhere you can shave some money helps. I am currently playing around with phenommsrtweaker which allows you to adjust the voltage in its own sort of Cool n quiet way in the different power states of the processor. I am able to run the 1055T @ 1.1125V at 2.805GHz.
You know, boys, a nuclear reactor is a lot like a woman. You just have to read the manual and press the right buttons.

Crayon Shin Chan
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:36 am

Do you fold?
Mothership: FX-8350, 12GB DDR3, M5A99X EVO, MSI GTX 1070 Sea Hawk, Crucial MX500 500GB
Supply ship: [email protected], 12GB DDR3, M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
Corsair: Thinkpad X230

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:36 am

I leave my i5 750 @ 3.8GHz which is ( I think ) a fairly high overclock. The voltage is over 1.4V ( can't remember specifically ) I save energy now by turning the machine off every so often. I used to leave it running 24/7.
Last edited by MaxTheLimit on Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:39 am

When I used to overclock, I'd only go as far as the stock voltage would allow me, which fit me fine. Since getting my Core 2 duo 2.53Ghz, it's been fast enough for my needs and haven't even thought about overclocking since 2008. Wow...I guess I just put a damper on this thread.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:22 am

Crayon Shin Chan wrote:
Do you fold?

I used to fold all the time while in school. Now I am moving on more with BOINC projects. I just like the fact that I can help different organizations at anytime and I think the point system in F@H is getting a little ridiculous. I go back to it every once in a while.

Sargent Duck wrote:
When I used to overclock, I'd only go as far as the stock voltage would allow me, which fit me fine. Since getting my Core 2 duo 2.53Ghz, it's been fast enough for my needs and haven't even thought about overclocking since 2008. Wow...I guess I just put a damper on this thread.

Not at all. The first time I overclocked thats what I did with my Core 2 duo E6750. Bumped to 3.2 and left it. Worked perfectly, and now have it for a HTPC. If its fast enough for your needs then thats perfect. I guess the old adage "If it ain't broke don't fix it" works here. What about undervolting? Thoughts or tried it?

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:17 am

MaxTheLimit wrote:
I leave my i5 750 @ 3.8GHz which is ( I think ) a fairly high overclock. The voltage is over 1.4V ( can't remember specifically ) I save energy now by turning the machine off every so often. I used to leave it running 24/7.

UGN gives you a :(. :P

I don't pay too much attention to power and performance, I pay more attention to reliability and that means temps. I don't have super powerful cooling so there is a thermal and fan noise threshold to which I subjectively say "enough".
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.