Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

adam1378
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Crysis 2 :(

Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:26 pm

I have been playing Crysis 2 this morning and I could not stop thinking how I am not impressed. I know it is a sequel but I am still impressed with the first game even now. This version really feels like a console port and it makes me kind of bitter. I noticed it first when the first cut scene was playing and the characters were not very detailed. Further playing into the game revealed a lack of creativity allowed to progress. It was point and shoot and run, repeat, repeat, repeat. I does look good but there are small console dumbness like vehicles not usable and objects that are permanent. Honestly Crysis 2 reminds me more like a sequel to the original F.E.A.R. I don't know if I was expecting better or more of the same but Crysis 2 is definitely neither.
Ancient 1366 chipset and 6GB of RAM oh and 6950

ReAp3r-G
Gerbil Elite

Re: Crysis 2 :(

Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:13 pm

In terms of visual fidelity, PC gamers aren't getting anything better than its console counterparts. Very minimalistic in terms of how much you can tweak the visual settings. Personally I wasn't really impressed with the multiplayer demo. I thought that 12 hours of single player would make up for the $60 asking price but I guess that's not the case. I made up my mind after trying the multiplayer demo out that I was going to wait until a deal for Crysis 2 comes around.
Intel C2Q Q8300 2.5GHz | Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R | 8GB DDR2 800 | MSI ATI Radeon HD5770 1GB | AOpen G325 Aeolus

PSN ID: MentalReaper
Steam ID: dstrb3d

dachomk
Gerbil In Training

Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:03 pm

Yes, Crysis 2 is more like Far Cry 2, Urban chaos, better graphics and game play but bad content then Crysis 1 or warhead.
98% of enemies is Solders, 1 kind of aliens. not good.
The Crysis 2 is more optimized for multiplayer or online playing.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
PSU: Cooler-Master GX650W, MB: Gigabyte P55-US3L, CPU: i5/750 + Cooler Master Hyper 212, MEM: 2x2GB/DDR3-1333 Kingston, VGA: KFA2-GTX570, Sound: X-FI Titanium 7.1 PCIE x1.

Crayon Shin Chan
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:13 pm

I quite enjoyed it. I hated the aliens in Crysis, and after a while you just want to have a smaller setting to play in, and NY is great for that. I just don't like the visor in Crysis 2, makes things too easy and points out way too many tactical options that should've just been left unmarked. We're smart enough to figure out what to do on our own, thanks.
Mothership: FX-8350, 12GB DDR3, M5A99X EVO, MSI GTX 1070 Sea Hawk, Crucial MX500 500GB
Supply ship: [email protected], 12GB DDR3, M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
Corsair: Thinkpad X230

michael_d
Gerbil Elite

Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:36 pm

Thanks for the heads up! I have heard from some people that Crysis 2 is similar to F.E.A.R. 2 which is not a bad game. Original Crysis has good visuals but combat is lackluster. The fact that there is no DX11 support is a bummer. We need an FPS that will have combat intensity of Gears of War and sandbox experience of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

I will grab this one when its on sale.

I just read on steam and mycrysis forums that there is a problem with CrossFire setups - texture flickering. This is the same problem that was present in the original Crysis until patch 1.2 was released. One would think that since they had to patch an older game after it was released, they would release the new game that would not have this problem in the first place, I guess I am wrong. :roll:

zimpdagreene
Gerbil

Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:52 am

Well I agree with you. I did play a little with crossfire 5870 but ran into the same bug that lots have been with screen flickering. So I had to disable and turn down some graphics, or real just notch down since everything has been dumbed down. The game is nowhere were it should have been. There are thousands of people with logging problems to problems like mine and no support around at all. And also DirectX 9? I will tell you save your money. You have all these reviewers say it’s a wonder game it’s a 9.9 outta 10. They are either paid or got something out it to write it. All of them.
Don't Stop. Drive hard fast, faster. Windows Uranium,Core 8 32Core, 650gig ram, 1000Ter Hard Drive, 8 Trac Audio Player!

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:24 am

I bought it but totally forgot about it being released yesterday. (I've been enthralled with DA2) Anyways even the reveiwers at Ars gives it a 'buy'. http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011 ... ysis-2.ars

it cant be that bad can it?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

lethal
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:06 am

tanker27 wrote:
I bought it but totally forgot about it being released yesterday. (I've been enthralled with DA2) Anyways even the reveiwers at Ars gives it a 'buy'. http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011 ... ysis-2.ars

it cant be that bad can it?

It's not a bad game, but its rather disappointing how the company that once pushed the envelope in graphics, physics and sandbox type environments has made so little progress since crysis in 2007 or in some cases taken steps backwards. Levels are smaller, physics are much worse, MP count is down, no editor shipping with the game, no custom servers, DX9, almost no vehicles, etc. And lets not forget the shiny new 60$ price tag with DLC maps coming soon.
The Internet wrote:
"[The] 360 starts at the factory, moves to retail shelves, into consumer's homes, back to Microsoft. So THAT'S why Microsoft called it the 360...It all comes full-circle ;)"

NeXus 6

Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:38 am

lethal wrote:
It's not a bad game, but its rather disappointing how the company that once pushed the envelope in graphics, physics and sandbox type environments has made so little progress since crysis in 2007 or in some cases taken steps backwards. Levels are smaller, physics are much worse, MP count is down, no editor shipping with the game, no custom servers, DX9, almost no vehicles, etc. And lets not forget the shiny new 60$ price tag with DLC maps coming soon.

Do you seriously think Crytek were going to repeat the same mistake again?

Welcome to consolization. The new norm.

adam1378
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:24 pm

Its not that it isn't a fun game. It doesn't have the same open environment as the first two. I know it is in a city but I has a very narrow advancement. And it uses checkpoints instead of being able to save whenever. I love in Crysis 1 I can sneak and snipe the a.i. whatever way possible, this game grabs my hand and punishes me when I try. The a.i. are dumber than the first installment , for example, in FDR I shot soldier on truck and soldier next to truck ran into the wall and was trying to shoot me through wall. I really am disappointed overall, I would rate it 6 out of 10.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:39 pm

Dang, I never played the first 1 1/2 (and it sounds like I am missing out). :( And with the comments on 2 doesnt bode well. :(
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

zimpdagreene
Gerbil

Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:29 pm

Don't Stop. Drive hard fast, faster. Windows Uranium,Core 8 32Core, 650gig ram, 1000Ter Hard Drive, 8 Trac Audio Player!

adam1378
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:35 pm

http://pastebin.com/Rzn7gjNb

Here are some console commands to change the pc graphics.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:42 pm

zimpdagreene wrote:
http://www.hardocp.com/news/2011/03/23/crysis_2_pretty_much_sucks_sloppy

I couldn't say it any better!

Well Damn, thats twice I have been burned this year by paying full price for a sloppy game.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:40 am

I finally had a chance to give Crysis2 a go last night. I'm not one to blame consoles for watered down PC ports but damn this game is terrible. If I were to compare it to anything else it would be Deus Ex 2.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

adam1378
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:29 am

I wouldn't say it is terrible but I will say it missed expectations from Crysis by a long shot. If you read the reviews, the console versions are the best looking ever. Funny thing also is the reviews love the open sandbox of the game but it was dumbed down on the pc.

NeXus 6

Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:27 pm

Crysis 2 Is a PC Game First, Console Game Second, Claims Crytek

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... ims-Crytek

lulz

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:41 pm

This thread is 95% of the reason gaming sucks. The gamers.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:53 pm

NeXus 6 wrote:
Crysis 2 Is a PC Game First, Console Game Second, Claims Crytek

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... ims-Crytek

lulz

Whatever. How can Crytek even claim that!? Having not played the first iterations I had nothing to base my experiences off of and its junk. It looks good and sounds good but that only 2/3rds of the equation.

Skrying wrote:

hmmm my sarcasm meter must be wonky as I cant tell if that it or not.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:34 pm

Skrying wrote:

I agree... I mean, the nerve of gamers, expecting a company to at least match the quality of a game that came out four years ago.

NeXus 6

Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:54 pm

tanker27 wrote:
Whatever. How can Crytek even claim that!? Having not played the first iterations I had nothing to base my experiences off of and its junk. It looks good and sounds good but that only 2/3rds of the equation.

When the game leaked out, several people were saying it was very consolized, so I'm not surprised. Might be worth it when it comes down under $5.

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:07 pm

cphite wrote:
I agree... I mean, the nerve of gamers, expecting a company to at least match the quality of a game that came out four years ago.

Crysis is more known for the meme it spawned than its luke warm gameplay. PC gamers blame gaming consoles for everything these days. It's a group jealous of the success of another and instead of realizing those issues are ones caused by itself it will just continue to blame consoles until blue in the face and dead on the floor. That's all this thread is. I've read it and have exactly zero clue what is actually wrong with the game, just that consoles caused it. Yeah right.

bittermann
Gerbil

Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:26 pm

Skrying wrote:
cphite wrote:

Crysis is more known for the meme it spawned than its luke warm gameplay. PC gamers blame gaming consoles for everything these days. It's a group jealous of the success of another and instead of realizing those issues are ones caused by itself it will just continue to blame consoles until blue in the face and dead on the floor. That's all this thread is. I've read it and have exactly zero clue what is actually wrong with the game, just that consoles caused it. Yeah right.

Say's the console fanboy...Google is your friend, type this in the search field: "crysis 2 for pc dumbed down for consoles", then read and get up to speed. And if you mean I'm jealous of paying $60 for dumbed down interface, blah graphics and shorter single player campains, then you need to get real.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:07 pm

Skrying wrote:

As I stated before I never played the first iterations and had nothing really base it off of. This game, Crysis2, is a watered down port of a console game. I can run down the list of things that prove as much but will save my breath as theres countless of other reviews that back up the claim.

I am no more jealous of a console than it is of a PC. I dont blame consoles but I do blame the devs and their shortsightedness.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

zimpdagreene
Gerbil

Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:12 pm

Well I don’t blame consoles. It’s not about blame but about what a software developer puts out. Crysis before had a set a bar for making a PC do all it could and give you visuals and things that other software developers couldn’t. So when you have them put out something that’s ok but not pushing the envelope of being excellent. Then that’s why we say it could have been a lot better. Only the console sights that review say it good. But that’s because it is for consoles, not for PCs.

And yes I have all the Crysis games that I still fire up time to time.

NeXus 6

Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:55 pm

Skrying wrote:
PC gamers blame gaming consoles for everything these days. It's a group jealous of the success of another and instead of realizing those issues are ones caused by itself it will just continue to blame consoles until blue in the face and dead on the floor. That's all this thread is. I've read it and have exactly zero clue what is actually wrong with the game, just that consoles caused it. Yeah right.

The real blame lies with the developers. But, the aging hardware in current consoles is holding back better graphics on the PC, so you can't blame PC gamers for bitching about stagnant innovation in that area. It looks like DX11 is another dud, so you can basically forget about needing to upgrade for a game anytime soon. Heck, my older system that I built nearly five years ago is capable of playing every current game with little to no performance issues. DX9 FTW!

If you add in save points instead of quick saves, hand holding rather than exploring in the game (thinking), smaller levels and corridor style gameplay, etc., you soon realize that many developers have sold out to consoles for the sake of more sales. That's fine, but they shouldn't be surprised by the backlash they get from dedicated PC gamers. In this case, it was well deserved.

l33t-g4m3r

Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:08 pm

cphite wrote:
Skrying wrote:

Dunno, but my impression was that it's the gamer's fault because they bought the game knowing full well it was garbage. Wait till it's $5, console ports aren't worth the initial retail.

adam1378
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:05 am

l33t-g4m3r wrote:
cphite wrote:
Skrying wrote:

Dunno, but my impression was that it's the gamer's fault because they bought the game knowing full well it was garbage. Wait till it's $5, console ports aren't worth the initial retail.

Duly noted.

geekl33tgamer
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:19 pm

FWIW, I think maybe some are being to harsh? Lets put a different angle on Crytek's decision to consoleize Crysis 2:

- Game sales = more £££. We stay in business and will make more games
- Easier gameplay experience for the casual croud = It's easier to access for n00bs to the Crysis series
- Low system requirements = You dont need a £2k PC just to hit 30 FPS at 1920 X 1200

And, just to make another point (and go on, flame me), but how many bitched and moaned when Crysis come out years back and it ran like a dog? I know I did, and was really pissed that my SLI 8800GT's choked on it. Lots of people didnt buy the original Crysis because the system requirements bar was set to high. The gameplay was also a little iffy, but had a good level of difficulty and challenge to it.

I've played a few hours of the story mode so far, and while it's not visually pleasing compared to Crysis (yeah, just look at the textures close up - nice overdone unreal engine style bloom effect to), I didn't have to cross my fingers and hope it runs. My fairly run-of-the-mill system (in sig) goes along just fine on "extreme" settings at 1920 x 1200 - It's nice and smooth. I'm still undecided on the complexity of the gameplay mechanics and it's story mode, so will save that for another day.

Bottom line: It runs, and dont need an ubber Intel i90047411xeee ultra fatal1ty omgIcanfragn00bsat300fps computer - It makes it more enjoyable to a much wider user base. Besides, Portal 2's just round the corner if you dont fancy this...
Mega Beast - Intel i7 4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK | 32GB DDR3 | SLI GTX 1070 | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Mini Beast - Intel C2E QX9770 | Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 | 16GB DDR3 | KFA2 LP GTX 750Ti | Seagate 2TB SSHD

morphine
TR Staff

Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:26 pm

Having an easier gameplay experience can be simply rebalanced to adjust when you're moving to a different system. For instance, Monday Night Combat was a game that went through weapon rebalancing when it moved to the PC.

Also, low system requirements are indeed a good thing, but they're not mutually exclusive with higher-quality options being available for those with better hardware. Most of the time, it can be something as simple as enabling better shader effects (which were probably there originally but had to be simplified for speed), and better textures (more often than not, textures too are resampled to fit constraints).

The concept of developing for the console first does not have anything inherently wrong with it, just as long as one makes the necessary adjustments when moving to another platform.
Last edited by morphine on Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(